A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [show] My Action-RPG Fighting Engine.

[show] My Action-RPG Fighting Engine.

I have never showed anything I've done, well, I have not done much. The only thing I've done/doing is my Kung Fu remake. After my Kung Fu remake I will make a Moonstone remake so I made this little "engine" (woho!, first time I've done an engine. If that's what you call it).

I had some trouble making the movements as the game uses a 8 direction system. I've done this exactly like the game, except for one thing - which is the only problem I still have with this engine.

You see, in the original game when you press Up-Left, Up-Right, Down-Right.. etc.. there is a half second delay before the move starts. It's done like this so you should have enough time to do the move you want without doing another move first/instead.

Ehh, let me ********:

This is my problem:

Let's say you are facing left and want to throw a knife. To throw a knife you press Up-Right + CTRL. The annoying part is - if you don't press exactly Up-Right when pressing CTRL, you will do another move instead, like Up + CTRL or Back + CTRL

In the original game there is delays when making the moves so you dont accidently do an unwanted move.

Ehh, understood?

So I guess I have to put in a timer or something, but I suck at AS. I only know basic stuff...... which lasts long if you are a bit clever .

I also had some other problems. If you were facing left and wanted to do a low swing - Left + CTRL, that would work perfectly... but what if you were facing right and wanted to do the back swing move which also is Left + CTRL?..... ehh.. I had to check the direction and stuff..... never done that before... arghh... was hard as hell.. maybe not for you guys... but for me... I'm glad I solved it (lycky)

Anyway, try it out!

Moonstone Engine

Edit:
    If you want, you can check out a recording I've made of the game:

Moonstone Video <--- Warning! there are some GORY parts in it. (have to say this or the link will be removed)
    Last edited by Ironclaw; 04-16-2004 at 03:49 PM.

COOL!
    I wish I could make something like that.
    keep at it

"Let us be rid of it-- once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you...but I can carry you."

foxy ninja extraordinaire PENGUINDICTATOR's Avatar
    I think I can help you.
    You showed me the video earlier for gameplay ideas for my game, but I wasn't that impressed. Now that I can actually play it, I am quite intrigued.
    I don't quite understand your problem, do you want it to have a timer so that if you press the buttons close, but not at the exact same time it does the move?
    If so I think I can help...
    code:

maxMoveTime = 100; //milliseconds
    if(Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)){
    if(action == "control" && timer < getTimer() + maxMoveTime){
    doSuperCrazyMove();
    }
    timer = getTimer();
    action = "left";
    }

if(Key.isDown(Key.CONTROL)){
    if(action == "left" && timer < getTimer() + maxMoveTime){
    doSuperCrazyMove();
    }
    timer = getTimer();
    action = "control";
    }

this might work, but I'm not sure. The concept works, so if you fiddle around with it, I'm sure you can get it working.

why do you only use ripped gfx, not ever create your own. Not insulting, just wondering.
    Last edited by PENGUINDICTATOR; 04-29-2004 at 10:29 PM.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Let me rephrase the question, how many attacks?
    Last edited by WilloughbyJackson; 04-16-2004 at 04:39 PM.

Originally posted by PENGUINDICTATOR
    I think I can help you.
    code:

if(action == "control" && timer < getTimer() + maxMoveTime){
    doSuperCrazyMove();
    }
    timer = getTimer();
    action = "left";
    }

if(action == "left" && timer < getTimer() + maxMoveTime){
    doSuperCrazyMove();
    }
    timer = getTimer();
    action = "control";
    }

this might work, but I'm not sure. The concept works, so if you fiddle around with it, I'm sure you can get it working.

why do you only use ripped gfx, not ever create your own. Not insulting, just wondering.
    Can't get it to work (didnt try much). I'm new to getTimer(). I'll figure something out by myself later (I always do), thanks anyway.

I suck at making sprites... that's what I think anyway... but the main reason why I only use ripped gfx is becuase I like those games and want others to see, play and remember the good old days (if they had those).

BUT, in the Kung Fu remix you will see TONS of new sprites. Two of my friends makes sprites for it. Thomas can do ALOT more things now, like the hadouken special (Street Fighter), uppecut, transformation.... and all the bosses has been remade... OMG.. it will be sooooooo cool!..

WilloughbyJackson, There is 6 attacks and 2 special block poses. Just hold CTRL and press any direction with the arrows.
    Last edited by Ironclaw; 04-16-2004 at 05:34 PM.

foxy ninja extraordinaire PENGUINDICTATOR's Avatar
    I found the error in the code I posted.
    Here are the changes:
    code:

if(action == "control" && timer > getTimer()){
    doSuperCrazyMove();
    }
    timer = getTimer()+maxMoveTime;
    action = "left";
    }

if(action == "left" && timer > getTimer()){
    doSuperCrazyMove();
    }
    timer = getTimer()+maxMoveTime;
    action = "control";
    }

I added the maxMoveTime to the timer, switched the lessthan to a movethan sign, and removed the maxMoveTime from the getTimer() in the if statement.
    hope this helps.
    Last edited by PENGUINDICTATOR; 04-29-2004 at 10:29 PM.

Well, thanks. But it's no use . My code doesnt work like that and it would be hard for me to implant(?) that... As I said, I'll figure out something esle later... As always, my code will be messy, but just as long as it works. Will read up on the Timer thingy......

Thanks anyway.....

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    can't wait for that game to be remade : the video you posted a while ago totally awed me ... must be fun to play !

Moonstone was one of the best games I've played on Amiga 500. It was fun playing with several players. I liked the swamp monsters, and those little furry creatures in the forest...
    I've never seen this game on PC...

You can download both the Amiga and PC versions here. To play the PC version you need DosBOX.

Moonstone Tavern - The one and only place dedicated to Moonstone on the entire Internet.

But I recommend the Amiga version.

If a game on Amiga exist on PC too, the PC version always sucks.

I have played many old games on the PC that I had on my Amiga... like:

Rร*ck dangerous, robocod, robocop, moonstone, it came from the desert etc etc.... they all suck on PC.
    Last edited by Ironclaw; 04-17-2004 at 11:04 AM.