A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 48 hour flashkit competition?

I personally don't see any reason why code reuse and api's should be restricted. I mean we are talking 48 hours here. 48 hours for ONE person to program, do the graphics, and sound. Plus it is going to be some off the wall topic so everyone will end up having to make some custom graphics/sounds and custom programming.

Personally I would like to see some fairly decent games come out of this, especially because I plan on playing them all. So if we can increase the quality of games by allowing code reuse than I say we do it.

Also being able to reuse code is a necessary skill for any skilled programmer. So I say anything goes. We can spot who actually spent time programming their game and who just downloaded a .fla and changed the graphics. Reusing old code just allows someone to concentrate on things that are truly important in a game such as the gameplay, art, and sound.

This competition should be about who can create the best game in 48 hours and not who can write the most effecient/fast code from scratch in 48 hours. Just my opinion.

I didn't read through all of the posts, so sorry if this topic has already been put too rest.

Do we need to go through with all of that trouble? I mean, it is a nice gesture, but the past competitions have been just fine. Also, if the person hosts it themselves, it will most likely be on their own webpage, so it will act as advertisement. I think just posting the links on a thread would still be fun!
    hehe, it's a pitty for the code I already created, but heck, I learned a lot by it

If you need hosting, his is a nice gesture. Some of us don't need hosting though and I would rather have the flexibility to host it myself then not.
    This sounds as a good compromis to me... I could work the system further out for those that doesn't have their own hosting or don't want to bother creating a html-file... I'll let the system provide an url then after uploading their game wich they can post in the entries thread over here then that will lead to the game. This way it is just an alternative for the geocities/lycos - spaces

Or not??

Just let me know...

Rob

Originally posted by Dusarn
    This competition should be about who can create the best game in 48 hours and not who can write the most effecient/fast code from scratch in 48 hours. Just my opinion.
    I agree, the result is, what matters most. The problem might come up, if someone actually does just download fla and replace the graphics. I dont see no problem using code parts from others as long the game is fun to play and goes with the theme.

Well anyway, I have the upload-system ready.

You can see The form needed to submit a game here:

http://www.robtje.com/fk/index.php?function=submit

If no errors occured during uploading you'll see the url on wich your game can be viewed.

This is an example of such a game that has been submitted tru the form as a test:

http://www.robtje.com/fk/index.php?f...howgame&id=180

What do you think?

Beatcow: When you post the start-thread off the competition you could maybe state in that thread that people can use their own websspace or can upload their entry to (http://www.robtje.com/fk/index.php?function=submit) and provide the url in the entries-thread then.

greetings Rob

All the previous comps have expected the majority of code ( Well all in fact ) to have been coded from scratch, that's the challange.
    It was also the case with the graphix ( Although sound was always left out of that ).

From my point of view, it goes against the spirit of the comp if you can just bolt together a lot of external libraries. I know you can argue that it's the way the person puts the pre-written code together and in keeping with the theme of the comp, but guys, it's just for fun at the end of the day.
    It's not a case of making a really great game, where a weeks extra work and it'll be a sellable product, it's a case of working within the strictness of the rules and having some fun with it.

None of the games will be great, but it's the promise that at least a couple of them will be good and within that timescale that makes it interesting.

Squize.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    EDIT: What Squize said...

(Better than my original blah blah blah post...)
    Last edited by WilloughbyJackson; 04-23-2004 at 11:47 AM.

after 5, before 4 Location::~Location(){}
    Ah....man........that 48 hour flashkit competition page looks really good....It's hard to resist. I don't know.... Well, alright... we can use your upload site....

The contest is starting in around 4 hours, so get ready guys. I'll post the topic and all of that with the rules(again) in a new thread.
    Get ready guys
    Last edited by Beatcow; 04-23-2004 at 05:09 PM.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Waku waku...doki doki..

The only thing that I am paranoid about(and don't take offence to this) is that Robtje's site goes down or screws up for some reason. At least if one of our game's sites screw up, not all of the games are messed up...I know I'm not making any sense, but I'm just a bit iffy about the idea.

I found a new problem to Robtje's site;Preloaders don't work in .swf files, so preloaders won't work on his site.

Ihoss
    preloaders? Isn't that the loading part of a game? why wont that work on his site?

Don't preloaders in flash only work with HTML documents(and maybe something else). They don't work with .swf files, and Robtje's site only uploades .swf files.

only problems i see are that a game may consist of multiple .swfs and some dipstick could sumbit a game using someone elses id.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Originally posted by Beatcow
    Don't preloaders in flash only work with HTML documents(and maybe something else). They don't work with .swf files, and Robtje's site only uploades .swf files.
    His page automatically creates the html page..

Look at his second link in his post
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

hey, but u can still have the preloaders, because u just make an extra scene at the beginning which will load before the other scene will load.
    Failure is just another boundary to sucess.....but that doesn't mean your getting somewhere

i had a go at a trophy;

avtar;
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 04-26-2004 at 08:33 PM.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Ihoss
    oooooh! I want that!

Edit: A preloader is the scene in a game which tells you how much of the game is loaded, right? This has nothing to do with html. It is controled by the movie itself. It should be the first 2 or 3 frames in the movie and when the movie is finished loading, it should be sent to the next frames. I've had preloaders in raw .swf files loaded in IE and in th flashplayer.

Wow Blink, that Trophy is really really beautiful. At first, I thought the "4" mean it is the fourth competition, but then I saw the "8". Pretty cool because it can go both ways. Nice work, but where's the tuna sandwich?

I'm in the flashkit competition too. (sorry about the delay)