A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 48 hour flashkit competition?

after 5, before 4 Location::~Location(){}
    Originally posted by jtnw
    And that took you the whole half hour to make?

jtnw
    No, more like 5 minutes...

Damn, I need to work on my sarcasm.

jtnw

Originally posted by Beatcow
    No, more like 5 minutes...
    Seems to be 18 minutes by my watch (or that of Flash Kit's). I actually have a circular-MC angle reflection engine lying around that can react to any surface. Since I spent a few hours getting the trig down, that would save me a lot of time if I were to incorporate properties of a hockey puck. I also have a polished basketball engine with rim and all, which has no doubt caused you to cross out "basketball" in your word list =P. I do agree with tonypa, though, that we will all be copying and pasting those redundant blocks of code we've written time and time again.

*makes mental note to create hotkey for typing "onClipEvent (", reminiscing various accounts of incorrect capitalization*

I find it sad that of all the stresses I could possibly be worried about right now, I'm most vexed that I won't be home on Friday until 11 p.m. Ambitious indeed.

- Bean

Originally posted by OneMrBean
    Seems to be 18 minutes by my watch (or that of Flash Kit's).

- Bean
    who says i started making it the second I posted my first post talking about hard boiled lobster covered soap?

Beatcow

Sorry about that, I originally meant my first post as a joke, but I'm not too good at jokes.

jtnw

I would love to try this, but being a flash newb (and with no half-finished game sitting around my harddrive for me to use ), I doubt that I'd be able to come up with something half-decent in 48 hours. However, I'll try to enter just for the experience.

Originally posted by Beatcow
    who says i started making it the second I posted my first post talking about hard boiled lobster covered soap?
    I honestly don't see why we're still arguing over this. And to answer your question: Not one person.

- Bean

I honestly don't see why we're still arguing over this. And to answer your question: Not one person.

- Bean
    No but I mean, let's say I just finished posting it, and then i felt the sudden urge to take a leak. Maybe if my leak takes 13 minutes, i would still have time to make a game in 4 minutes, upload it onto a crappy free geocities account and post a new thread.That's 18 minutes....

It's all Jtnw's fault...starting this argument...i kid i kid

- Bean
    No but I mean, let's say I just finished posting it, and then i felt the sudden urge to take a leak. Maybe if my leak takes 13 minutes, i would still have time to make a game in 4 minutes, upload it onto a crappy free geocities account and post a new thread.That's 18 minutes....

It's all Jtnw's fault...starting this argument...i kid, but as some say, this is a "Comp Tag" match ->>>Jpg1

To move away from lobsters for a sec and to go back to OneMrBean's concern about cheating:

I really don't think it's an issue, and never will be.
    You can always break the entries up quite easily into different catagories:

* The games written from scratch in 48hrs which are real contenders.

* The half finished fla's converted over to the subject matter. These stick out a mile because they have next to nothing to do with the subject ( ie. A racing game, but featuring a lobster ).

* The newer guys who know they don't have much of a chance, but they still submit their first ever complete game. These to me are the people who benefit most from these comps because they actually learn so much in such a short space of time to produce a working finished game.

* The giving it large ones, who announce a spec which will never be completed within 48hrs, but post stunning little previews to make everyone say "Wow, can't wait to see that". At the end of the 48hrs you always get the "I ran out of time" line. Ho hum.

At the end of the day, if someone cheats, well it's down to them.

Squize.

Originally posted by Squize
    :

* The newer guys who know they don't have much of a chance, but they still submit their first ever complete game. These to me are the people who benefit most from these comps because they actually learn so much in such a short space of time to produce a working finished game.

Squize.
    Yes, I totally agree with you and that is partially why I host these competitions. It lets people really get together as a flash community and all try and make something at the same time. It's really fun, and it acts as inspiration. What I mean is that someone who is new to flash and starts a game(let's just say the cliché GTA), as soon as they run into a problem, they quit the game and start making a new one until they find another problem, and so on...This happens because they are not making the game for anyone, it has no awaiting paycheck at the end, and therefor mostly benifits the author. This competition motivates people to continue their game and to not give up due to problems, because it is a grand step to be able to make full and finished game in 48hr(no matter how complicated it is).

-Also: As far as plugging in a lobster in a racing game, I think I'm going to have a category like "Most Original Concept" or "Most Original Game based on-------". That way, if I say hockey puck FK members, the person who makes a hockey game is less likely to win that category than a person who makes "invading hockey pucks taking out people at FK in Sydney and you having to go blow up their headquarters in LooLoo land". You know, but it also has to make sense..looloo land.......

Beatcow

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    So, when will the next one occur? Hopefully sometime in May when I have more time.

-pXw

people were saying it was this weekend....
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    god, i havent been here in ages, but yeh - im in, my game will probably be really crap, but hey - ill give it a shot
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Where and when is official information on this posted?

Squize,
    That's very a very insightful breakdown of the various entries (and/or excuses for not entering =P). It makes sense that those who make games from scratch won't have obscure elements in their games, and would therefore be more likely to stand out from the rest. However, I do vaguely remember a nut game where you have to collect nuts from bees in order to kill kittens...? It's been a few months, but I believe that game won in a certain category (although you can easily argue that it was made from scratch and was not built off of a template). I suppose the only last way to cheat would be to add unnoticable changes to a game, such as bug fixes, during the 48hr voting time, something of which no one would notice. Those who play it after the bug fixes would enjoy it more since less is going wrong. I guess checking file sizes / date modified would provide security for this issue as well. Looking forward to the whole event though!

kendude,
    The competition is slated for this Friday, April the 23rd, starting at 9:00 p.m. EST. Of course this is subject to change, but I'm pretty sure it'll be this weekend, from what I've heard.

Also, you can find the most up-to-date information on this Competition in Page 2 of this thread, 7 seven posts down from the top, posted by Beatcow (it's the really long one ).

- Bean

I'm sorry I'll miss this one. My girl is coming up that weekend. Good luck everyone.

Originally posted by kendude
    I'm sorry I'll miss this one. My girl is coming up that weekend. Good luck everyone.
    Girl? What in the world is that? Some kind of computer? Then this is my girl:

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill...0/img_2063.jpg

However, she doesn't leave and come up on weekends...

Beatcow

P.S about the cheating after posting a link or something and updating it while ppl are voting, it's not bad if they are just fixing bugs, but I will notice any significant changes to the game. And plus, I trust people on flashkit. And plus, why would you cheat? I mean,it is all for fun.There is no prize and all you win is pride. But what good is pride if it is accompanied by guilt?
    Last edited by Beatcow; 04-21-2004 at 05:36 PM.

"However, I do vaguely remember a nut game where you have to collect nuts from bees in order to kill kittens...? It's been a few months, but I believe that game won in a certain category (although you can easily argue that it was made from scratch and was not built off of a template)."

Well I could easily argue that it was made from scratch cause it was
    ( And it won in two categories. Hurray for me )

Squize.

Originally posted by kendude
    Where and when is official information on this posted?
    For people who are new to this thread, they might only be seeing the last few posts, and so they missed the rules. Well, I will re-post them again to aid those people(so they don't have to flip through thousands of pages in this thread). Note: I added a "Most Original" category for voting, and I established a date.

****************48 Hour Flashkit Competition************************
    Ok so here is the post that explains it all:

From popular demand, I have decided to be the host (again) of another 48 hour flashkit competition. The following is a set of rules for the contest:

-In order to join the competition, all you have to do is post a message in this thread and say something like “I’m in” or “I’ll do it” or you know, something that obviously indicates that you want to participate. The good thing is, even if you say that you’ll do it, there is absolutely no obligation for you to actually do it! If you just can’t find time, or have other work to do, or your girlfriend/boyfriend (wife/husband grandmother/grandfather or even your pet hamster) is nagging you to come spend a romantic weekend at some resort in Austria, you DO NOT have to do the competition. I just like knowing an approximate number of people who are interested, but like I said before, there are no obligations.

-Whether you have joined or not, I still need everybody’s help for picking a subject. I picked the topic for the first two competitions, and maybe you want me to pick, but since not too many ppl liked my topics, I think it’s best that I get all you FK members to post your suggested topics. There will be NO vote on what topic will be chosen, for I will pick it out of all of your suggestions(this is to avoid cheating). If this competition is like the last one, then two topics will be picked and merged into one(ex: hockey puck and flashkit members....but hopefully better than those ones ). I might use a random word picker, so even I won’t know the topic, but I’ll have to see about that. Anyways, to make a long story short, just post as many GOOD and RANDOM topics as you can in this thread.

-When the date of the contest is chosen(see at the end of this post for details), I will post the generated or picked topic. The subject will be revealed in a NEW thread called “48 Hour Flashkit Competition Begins!” usually at 9:00 pm eastern.(You can check timezone differences here http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc)->I'm in Canada Eastern . This new thread can be used to update us on your game progress or ask any questions because from the second that the new contest thread is posted, you have 48 hours to complete your game and submit your link in a NEW thread called "48 Hour Flashkit Competition entries". All you have to do is post a message with the name of your game and the URL in it. When I say the contest is over in the entries thread , all links posted after my "stop" will not be valid.

-Once all games are in, i post the links and the names of the competitors in a new thread called “48 Hour Flashkit Competition Voting”. Ill give a maximum of 48 hours to do the voting.

Third Party software & help:
    -You can use any Flash program with the help of any other application(except you cannot make a shockwave game or a java game for it must be made or assembled in flash). You can also ask questions on the board if you need help.

Contest Voting rules:

-Anyone can vote, but if they are a competitor, then they cannot vote for themselves.
    - You must vote for a person in each of these categories:
    -Best Art

-Most Fun

-Most hard work

-Most original

-All around goodness

The title “All around best total” is given to the person who receives the most votes in total(all of the categories combined).

-Unlike the last competitions, you are now allowed to vote for a person in as many categories as you want. However, you can only have one vote per category.

-You can only vote for the people who’s game links were posted in the “48 Hour Flashkit Competition Voting” thread.

Contest Winners:
    I will post the winners in a new thread called “48 hour Flashkit Competition Winners”. Each category has first, second and third place positions.

Note: If flashkit goes down or has any kind of problem, there will be a time extension for submitting your game.

Note: Please make your game as appropriate as possible. Nudity, vulgarity and even excessive violence will NOT be accepted.

Note: Sorry for the amount of threads I have to post for each competition(Please moderators, don’t kill me ).

Hopefully the final Note: That should be everything, if you have any questions or suggestions about the rules, don’t be shy to post them.

Ok guys, this IS the FINAL Note: I hope this competition will be as fun as last time. Everyone seems to enjoy it, and even if you aren’t picked as a winner, we all commemorate the amount of time and effort you put into making a game!

Beatcow

ABOUT CONTEST TIMES: This contest will be held at 9:00 PM EST on April 23rd(this Friday), 2004. It will last until 9:00 PM EST on April 25th(Sunday),2004. Once again, you can check timezone differences at http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc ->The competition is going by Canada Eastern zone time. Voting will start around 10:00 PM EST that same Sunday(25th) and will continue until 10:00 PM EST the following day(April 26th =>Monday). I hope that is ok with everyone or almost everyones schedule.
    Last edited by Beatcow; 04-21-2004 at 05:58 PM.