A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: media playback component

media playback component

I'm trying to set the size of the display playback to the size of my original flv size which is 320 x 240 but if I set the size of the display playback component to 320 x 240 my flv comes out really small how can I set the size of the component to the size of the flv.
    Thanks.

make a square the size of your video,
    resize the playback component until the square you made can fit inside the content area of the playback component.

not sure this the best way, but thats how i did it.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

That's exactly what I ended up doing actually what I found out by trial and error is that you need to give an extra 32 pixels on the width and 78 pixels on the height
    So for example your flv file is 320 x 240 then set your component size to 353 x 318

Good on macromedia for setting up another unhelpful component. It took me a full day to work it out to what I needed.

Thanks for your help on this issue.

Are you a MAc or PC user because I have another post trying to find a Mac user to test the speed of the playback.

video playback test

no problem.
    i am on a pc.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

I guess people on MAC are not very frendly people as I didn't get one reply from a mAC user. Who would have knowen.

Thanks

every mac user i've ever met has acted like they were so much smarter than pc users, but when asked why they prefer mac to pc most say pc's are to complicated and they basiclly dont know how to use or fix them.

Oh, come on guys - us Mac users aren't snooty! There just aren't as many of us, most of us use Macs because they are used so widely in the creative industry - most creative software suites ran better on the Mac in the past, although this is not as true anymore.

I use Mac because I have yet to have a virus on my system, and I detest Microsoft and their spyware, proprietary issues, etc.

In response to the question, I have yet to use the components so I'm sorry I couldn't help.

Ok, Ok you Mac heads are ok. I used to use Mac quite a bit but stopped for many reasons that I won't even get into right here.
    Ok so I gave up on having video in flash. Unless you have the fastest Mac on the planet then it may play the correct speed so I have turned to linking it to a popup but now the problem is I can't seem to get the video to show up and buffer before it plays.

Right now it just shows up as a blank and then when it has fully downloaded it plays so it looks like nothing is happening for about 2 minutes. It should show up then buffer and then play.

What the hell is going wrong now maybe you guys can help please this is driving me mental.

LINK TO VIDEO

Here is the code I used from the apple quicktime site without the * sign
    [code]
    <*OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" WIDTH="320"HEIGHT="256"
    CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">
    <*PARAM name="SRC" VALUE="reel_best.mp4">
    <*PARAM name="AUTOPLAY" VALUE="true">
    <*PARAM name="CONTROLLER" VALUE="true">
    <*EMBED SRC="reel_best.mp4" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="256" AUTOPLAY="true" CONTROLLER="true" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">
    <*/EMBED> <*/OBJECT>
    [code]

When I test this code from my desktop I get an error sign saying,
    the data that the plugin requested did not download successfully.
    Last edited by ericflash; 04-22-2004 at 02:06 PM.

I get this from Pageot : http://www.qtbridge.com/pageot/pageot.html

<*OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="256" CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">
    <*PARAM name="SRC" VALUE="reel_best.mp4">
    <*PARAM name="CONTROLLER" VALUE="TRUE">
    <*PARAM name="AUTOPLAY" VALUE="TRUE">
    <*PARAM name="CACHE" VALUE="FALSE">
    <*EMBED src="reel_best.mp4" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="256" CONTROLLER="TRUE" AUTOPLAY="TRUE" CACHE="FALSE" TYPE="video/quicktime" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/"><*/EMBED><*/OBJECT>

But I think you have other issues, maybe with your export. I've tried opening your movie directly in QT using "Open URL" and it won't open.

What are your export settings?

As far as Flash video playback on Mac goes, it's not really an issue. I know some of the older Macs are slow (I've done quite a bit of testing on a 450 iMac with Flash r6.79), but I've never seen problems with playback speed or audio sync if the video is compressed properly to begin with.

I think you may want to try some different export settings. If you are getting a local error from QT, you likely have some sort of conflict.
    Last edited by Wheels; 04-22-2004 at 12:50 AM.

Ok here is my export settings for to use just video in the QuickTime player online not in flash.
    So the file that I was testing online was exported from a uncompressed QuickTime
    Code:
    Export> Movie to MPEG 4

Video > kbits/second = 1500
    Frames per second 29.97
    Key frame every 300 frames

Audio > 96 kbits/second
    Channels = stereo
    Output Sample rate = Recommended
    Encoding Quality = better

Streaming > Hinting type > streaming (basic)
    Maximum packet size = 1450 bytes
    Maximum packet duration 100 ms

Compatibility > ISMA
    “Any”
    Those were the best quality at the lowest file size I could get so that is why I was using them.

Ok now for the flash side of things.
    I have been using flash for video since the start of flash 5 and I have had nothing but trouble maybe your right and I hope so because I love flash that it might be my settings.
    What I have noticed on the MAC is that when you place your video Holder mc inside another movie clip with lets say a few layers of solids behind it then load the video into that mc the video staggers on a Mac especially on IMAC. What I found after weeks of testing and throwing my computer out the window was that if I removed the solid layers behind the video and also take it out of the embedded mc and placed it on the root level with now solid layers behind it, it played better. Some later told me it might be something to do with the way Mac re-draws its screen on every frame. I have no idea but no one I know has gotten it right. The only time I have seen video been presenting in the flash environment is if the have just the video with nothing around it on the page or nothing behind it on the page. Which is pretty crap as most of the time when you design you might want to have the video playing with some cool background solid layers to give the impression it’s in a TV screen or something to that effect.

Anyway so maybe you can set me straight after 3 years of pain. I would be so thankful to you if you could.
    Ok so this time round I used the display and control component and it seems to work great on the PC but crap on the Mac. What I did was use the new flv exporter.
    So from my uncompressed QuickTime I used these settings
    Code:
    Export > Movie to Macromedia flash video ( FLV)
    Encoding Method = Best (2 Pass)
    Frames per Second = 15  (I also used 29.97 the original speed of the QuickTime)
    Quality= high
    Limit data rate to =460 kbits/second
    Keyframes = Custom
    Keyframe every = 120 frames
    Motion Estimation= better

Audio
    Bitrate 32 kbits/sec mono
    Other = 320 240 resize none
    Deinterlacing = none
    I have tried other settings but the quality looked bad the video is 1:36
    So its quite large the original footage it’s 389 MB

Ok so what do you suggest my settings should be. I have asked this question so many times but everyone has a different answer and it is never right I can tell you that.

I really appreciate your help on this thanks.

I tried download that program PAGEot and it looked like a very handy little tool but then when I tried to copy the code it had generated from the code window it would not let me paste it into anything. The copy and paste command won't work.
    I tried to download it twice searched for a while on their site but no joy. I think I might just go and have a short brake down be back in a bit.

Thanks.

Whoa! This is going to take some time to explain, I'll be able to get to it later today hopefully.

No problem when you get a chance I would love to find out once and for all.
    Thanks.

Well, let's start with your original export - I use DV - NTSC deinterlaced for most exports at 30 fps (29.97 is for broadcast, interlaced only). I always export sound as raw.

For QT and Flash on the web, I use 15 fps, 200-300kbps on the video at 320x240 or max 400x300 and audio at 80kbps or less. Keyframe at 80 keyframes is a good middle ground, and helps to keep things synced-up.

Always keep your export and Flash video in dimensions that are divisible by 4, so 400x300 can be reduced to 200x150, etc.

I can't speak to the movieclip problems you have noted, but I've never had the kinds of problems you describe. From what you describe, it looks like your bitrates are simply too high for web delivery, either way - Mac playback will work best at 15 fps of less.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Great thanks for explaining this.
    I just tested another one which looks great on both MAc and PC but I didn't have it in flash as I kind of gave up on flash for now.
    Here is the link.
    video

Quicktime Movie settings
    MPEG 4
    Quality=hight
    FPS=29.97
    keyframe every =29
    limit data =200

SOUND
    Compressor=IMA 4:1
    rate=22.050
    size 16 bit
    stereo

Prepare for internet streaming= fast start-compressed header

Would it be better if I was using 15 fps
    won't this slow down the speed somewhat of the overall motion.

The human eye can only percieve differences above 15 fps, some say 12 fps. Web delivery is compromise.

Don't you mean below 15 it will look slow.

so if you mean above 15 then if you set it lets say 29.97 it would look faster.

It's not a matter of looking slow, it's just that there is no need to run at high frame rates for web delivery. For one, computers have a difficult time playing back high frame-rate video, and secondly - it's not a noticible difference in quality.

29.97 is a carry-over from broadcast - it's not a number that should even be used if your intent is to deliver on web.

Cool thanks.
    One more question the settings you said in your last reply
    For QT and Flash on the web, I use 15 fps, 200-300kbps on the video at 320x240 or max 400x300 and audio at 80kbps or less. Keyframe at 80 keyframes is a good middle ground, and helps to keep things synced-up.
    This is the settings when you save as a FLV and also if you arenot using flash and just using a.mov file embedde in html you would use the same settings?
    Also what was the quality set to hight?

Thanks again for your help.

I don't use minimum or maximum quality settings. I don't recall my .flv settings on export, I rarely use .flv, as I prefer to use .swf files compressed with Squeeze.