A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need Opinion.

Need Opinion.

I just created this site, and I need different opinions on how I could make it better. I'd appreciate any.Click here to see site
    ScOtT

Your site may be very good, but I like a lot of other people without broadband will probably not wait for it to load.
    Is there any way you can go part way into the site and display something whilst the rest of the site loads?
    I cheated and right clicked and selected play to view some of it.

This is not a criticism just past experience.
    Regards,
    Pete

I too think its way to big, both in dimension and size ( kb ).

As 40% still are on 800x600 monitors they have to scroll a lot.

And generally, Flash sites usually load each section only when needed ( separate swf files ) to keep the initial filesize down.

As for the design I have to say it looks like someone quite new to both design and Flash.

I would suggest a closer look at how other people make their Flash sites in regards of how to display information, use of type ( one of the most important thing in design ), dimensions of sites and so on.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Thank you. So what you are saying is to find away to cut down the swf size and to display my information in a different way. When started that page I was new to flash, now I know a little more. If you have more to say please do, any one else too.
    ScOtT

c'mon people plz.......
    ScOtT

Many Flash sites only load a main fswf first that contains the navigation and some graphics. The rest of the site is separate swf files for each section. heres the story how to load external swf files into a main swf file.

There are two ways of loading external files into Flash. Either you can load swf files into _levels or into movieclip targets.

_levels only exist in the Flash player. They are like layers but for swf files The Flash player is like a overhead projector where the plastic films you put on top of each other are like the swf files in the player. There are 16000 available levels

//To load a external swf into a _level from a button. The number 1 being the level to load into.

on(release){
    loadMovieNum("myExternalFile.swf",1);
    }

Movieclip targets are what it sounds like. A empty movieclip placed on the stage just for the purpose of loading a swf file into it. The advantage is that you can place it anywhere, manually ( as opposed to swf's in _levels) and also can control what of the objects should be on top or beneath.

Usually you give the movieclip an instance name of container.

//To load a external swf into a target movieclip from a button ( both being on the main timeline ).

on(release){
    container.loadMovie("myExternalFile.swf");
    }

Note that the external files top left corner will load at the center of the empty movieclip.

An example could be www.maxschultz.com where you see the main file first and all other things are loaded separately.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com