A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is there a way to...

Is there a way to...

Ok i created my scene but i forgot to make the size of my swf file 1024 x 768 is there a way i can change the size and everything pop into the right place thanks.

If the old dimensions are proportionally smaller than 1024x768 then you should be able to change it without too much, if any distortion. If you have to change the aspect ratio though, then sorry Chief, but you're screwed.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I dont understand what u mean. I need to just make the document size bigger but when i tried everything did just pop into place. I was wondering if there was someway to make it pop into place once i change the document size. Or do i have to scale up every single thing by hand

Now I don't understand...first you are saying that you changed the document size and everything did pop into place, then in the next sentence you ask if there is a way to do what you apparently just did. So yeah, now I'm kind of confused.

So have you actually tried changing the size or not? If so, did it work as you were hoping it would or not?

What is the old size of the document?

In regard to your question about having to scale everything up by hand...this is something you will never have to do. Rather than scaling your objects, you just want to right-click and drag in the viewport. This will zoom the view in and out without affecting any of your objects. Maybe this is all you needed to know
    mrush

ok the orginal document size is 550 by 400 so i tried changing it to 1024 by 768. The document didnt just pop into place so i was woundering if there is something i can do. I will email u the file if u want to look at it to see what i am talking about. Just give me your msn tag name or email thanks.

That's all I needed to know.

You are probably in the unfortunate position of having no choice but to realign the scene after you change the size of document.

What I meant by keeping it proportionately bigger/smaller is that if you expand the image in equal proportions in both dimensions then you will see no difference in the alignment of the scene. An easy example of this would be if you were to simply double the size of your scene. You are adding the same amount to both the height and the width so the relationship between the objects in the scene and the stage remains the same.

For example, 550x413 is a proportional size of 1024x768. Close, but no cigar. If you change your scene size to 1024x745 you will not need to realign it. I think there is a mathematical formula that will let you figure out what the numbers are for any given dimensions, but I'm not a math major so I usually let Photoshop do my calculations for me. You can create a new document using your source dimensions and then go to Image>Image Size, check 'Constrain Proportions' and then change one of your dimensions to the desired size. Photoshop will automatically calculate the other dimension for you.

Long story short...change your scene size to 1024x745 and then do a little post render work to make the scene larger or change it to 1056x768 and crop it, and you won't have to realign the scene.

Otherwise, if you need to resize it to exactly 1024x768 then you will need to realign the scene. I'm not sure exactly what you are doing, but how you do it will depend on your project requirements. If the objects in your scene just need to fill the space then you can right-click in the viewport and zoom in or out to make the objects appear smaller or larger. If you have elements that need to match the border of the scene precisely then you might have to resize or rescale some of your objects.

Does that sort things out?
    mrush

Wow man thanks for that excellent explanation. Well i changed the document size to 1024 x 745 and still no luck. i have to manually go in there and realign things but thanks for all the help.