A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] loading images fast!

ric frankland

resolved [RESOLVED] loading images fast!

i have 9 thumbnails that i want to enlarge when clicked; to keep the loading time right down, i've made each of the enlarged images a separate movie, with its own preloader...

i've tried to load each of the 9 enlarged image files straight after the thumbnails have opened, so they load in the background, and when a visitor to the site clicks on a thumbnail, hopefully it's already loaded.

all works fine with ADSL, but with 56k it's a mess... the preloaders on some of the enlarged photos don't even start, as it's trying to load too many other .swf files...

can anybody offer any advice... or alternative ways to get 9 images to load FAST!!!

i'm thinking of resorting back to pop-up windows for the enlarged images... aaahhh!

Might i suggest that pictures will alway load slow on a 56k modem. People are used to that if they have one of those. I can't think of any other way unless you can somehow set a priorty of what loads. I have never bothered to look at preloaders, so i don't know anything about them. Good luck.
    "A piece of toast always lands butter side down, and a cat always lands of its feet. If one was to tie a piece of toast to the back of a cat butter side up, would it hover above the ground in perpetual indecision?"

ric frankland
    thanks anyway!

unfortunatley i have a client with a 56k modem! ...he's the boss!!

i think i've found some sort of solution... instead of telling each of the 9 image .swf files to load at the same time, i've set the first one to load, then within the (enlargement) image .swf file (once it has loaded) i've added script to load the next swf file, and so on...