A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: smash bros. game

smash bros. game

Hi,
    I'm wanting to make a smash brothers type flash game. Does anyone know if this has been done before?

just curious
    -Samwise1

"Let us be rid of it-- once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you...but I can carry you."

foxy ninja extraordinaire PENGUINDICTATOR's Avatar
    I dont know for sure, but there have been games that use all of the components in it, ie. scrolling, attacks, combos, jumping, platform detection etc.
    I hope this helps...

doItLikeThis
    How much do you know in flash?
    -Aditya

Originally posted by adit_ya_sharma
    How much do you know in flash?
    not enough in action script to make a really good game, but I'm learning

"Let us be rid of it-- once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you...but I can carry you."

Like PENGUINDICTATOR said, all of the elements have been used before in games. But as far as I know, not in the way of Smash Brothers, that combines many elements to a unique gameplay. It is worth a try, but only if you have worked with these different elements before. Maybe you should first make simple games with these elements: a platform, a fighting game, scrolling, maybe tilebased.

Meh.. I wouldn't try it. It is way too hard unless you know exactly what you are doing.

it'll be a challenge but still want to do it

foxy ninja extraordinaire PENGUINDICTATOR's Avatar
    I agree exactly with what baukereg said, that you should start with all the components then start putting them together.
    The game is not out of your reach if you start small and then work up to a big huge game with thousands of animations and oh god I'm leaving now.

sounds cool. I've been trying to develop a smash bros clone aswell. With 4 characters battling it out on one screen. I haven't been very successful. It is a challenge, and even after you code it the major problem is the speed of the game. It is very CPU intensive to calculate the copmuter AI of 3 differnt characters at once, unless you use many different methods to optimize code.

I've started designing spirtes, tell me what you guys think from a graphics point of veiw, http://www.browntownonline.com/bashb...oundbeta3.html

You can use the arrow keys (lft,rght,up) to move around and jump.

Best of luck with the game! , and if you are serious about this, we could work together. As they say, two minds are better than one.

Thanks,
    Just Chillen,
    Get BrOwN..

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I'd be much help to you.
    your game is looking good and I want to see finished product when your done

keep at it!
    Last edited by samwise1; 05-01-2004 at 12:20 AM.