A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash As A Website

Flash As A Website

Hello

OK so i have decided to make a website using only flash. How would i come about this. I have already created a tester but it takes yonks to download. I have done it all in one swf and its not even finished!

www.freewebs.com/adrenelin/testerflash.htm

I have heard you can use load/unload movies but i dont understand what this really means. if youcould help me i would be really gratefull!!!

Thanks
    TedTLogan
    This is so non hanous!

Goodbye...
    The way that works is you create seperate "pages" (.fla files) and they are uploaded into a main file.

> On the main file you would create a Movie Clip Symbol and leave it completely empty. This MC will be the container where all the others are uploaded.

> Give the MC an Instance Name.

> On the buttons you would use this script:
    code:
    on (release){
    _root.mc_InstanceName.loadMovie("fileName.swf");
    }

You could also use that script on a frame, just remove the on(release){.

As you can see by the script, the .swf files will uploaded.

Tip: Keep in mind that the center of the container MC will be the top-left corner of the external file.

i dont get it...

how will it know to get the swf file from my web server?
    This is so non hanous!

Goodbye...
    By file name.

would i have to set a URL for flash to get the movie from? Or would it be:

on (release){
    _root.mc_InstanceName.loadMovie("www.youraddress.c om/fileName.swf");
    }

I need to sort this out!
    This is so non hanous!

Goodbye...
    The script you posted should do it. Also you might want to use levels:
    code:
    on (release){
    _root.mc_InstanceName.loadMovie("http://www.yourSite.com/fileName.swf",1);
    }

If you change the levels of each external movie they will be loaded on top of the previous one. This keeps them from sometimes colliding.

<center>

This is my Page!!!

That is my page!!! visit it and see how good it is and tell me some things that i should add and how.......lol
    </center>

Man this is bugging me! I want the user to click th radio and go to another swf movie that is located on my server. My script for the radio is:

on (release){
    _root.mc_UploadSWF.loadMovie("http://www.freewebs.com/adrenelinartwork/ADRadio.swf",1);
    }

This wont load the movie! Can someone have a look and see if they can fix it please...

Thanks

TedTLogan
    This is so non hanous!

hey, ted there, lets talk.

Ted, you're confusing loadMovie with getUrl. you don't need that http stuff in you're code.

let's say for the moment that the external swf you want to load is called "external.swf" in your file directory. it should sit in tha same folder as your main file, and all the other external swfs you wish to load.

create an empty movieclip symbol with nothing in it. put it on your main timeline.we'll call it "emptyMC" in the instance naming field in the property inspector.the upper left corner of "external.swf" will register with the crosshairs of "emptyMC" when it loads into it, dig?

on your main timeline (the root timeline, also called _root in actionscript) put this code on your button or on a frame:

code:
    loadMovie("external.swf","_root.emptyMC");

if you put it on a button of course you need your button event handler,

code:
    on (release){
    loadMovie("external.swf","_root.emptyMC");
    }

there are so many alternatives to this. the other example sited above should work fine as well. if you need something particular, do a search here at FlashKit: type in loadMovie. You'll get more info about it, including code, than you EVER wanted to know
    fp
    <fp>

Thank you!

Ive sorted it now! I couldnt get it before but now i have. Phew thats one load of my mind! I use freewebs though and they cap on download speed. Will tha effect flash aswell? Its a big file and i dont want users witing yonks for it to load.

Thanks Again!

TedTLogan
    This is so non hanous!

download speed

yup. download speed will be hindered if you're using freebee webspace.
    there are numerous reasons for this. hey, it's a great way to cut your teeth. personally I think hosting service is cheeap enough to justify its expense, when you consider that for about $10 a month
    (varies) you can have complete control of what you create- no banner ads or anything consuming your web site's screen real estate. a little research goes along ways- you can find a host that has fairly fast servers and routers.
    check out the BOARDROOM forum for info on hosting companies.
    later!
    fp
    <fp>