A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banner, Help Needed Please...

Banner, Help Needed Please...

Hello,

I am developing a banner for my website. I quite like it, as it looks fresh,
    and not so hard on the eyes, like some sites are.

Can I have some advice please? Obviously i will add the site logo, but i thi
    nk the banner needs something else to give it that ''edge'', what do you thi
    nk?

Btw, this is hopefully going to be for a Hosting Site.
    Sorry this isn't a whole website, but i couldn't find another section to pos
    t this in

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try to hold back.

Hi,
    I've looked at your design. Why is it in a grey box? and what are the little yellow squares for? If you want to go for a clean look, get rid of them. The images you have are nice, don't try to over design it.
    Aussie01

?
    The frame around the white part is not grey...

?

What colour is it then?

It would be helpful if you gave us a little more before asking us to critique it. Personally, I'm not too excited about what you have going so far, but this could very well be simply because it's not done yet.

So far the banner is giving me the impression that it is for something related to photography. In my mind there is not a single element in there right now that would lead the viewer to guess that it might represent hosting services. I'm not trying to be unkind with my assessment, just bluntly honest in giving you my opinion.

I'm not too sure about that border either, to tell you the truth. No matter what color it is (it looks kind of beige to me) I'm not really seeing it as going with the rest of the design. There isn't that much to the 'rest of the design' though, so I'm going to say again that it would be a lot more helpful if you could show us a more complete version that includes text, the logo and whatever else you plan on putting in there.

And let us know a bit more about who/what this banner is supposed to represent/advertise for. You say it's for a hosting site, but is there a particular impression that you are trying to give the viewers of this banner? Are you trying to convey reliability, service, security?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

ok.

Well what does represent Hosting? Because all i have to do is add a pic of a Server Box and thats it?

Like i said its not finished, the text is just basically orange and silver saying ''Radiance Hosting'' in the bottom right corner of the white box (Name is Copyright), and radiance sort of means light, pure, fresh etc.

Your telling me what you don't like but your not telling me how to improve/what to add

Also, take a look at www.bolthosting.net, they have a plain blue banner, with just a logo, that doesn't really produce any effect, except maybe the colour, but blue means alot of things, and they still get clients?

I know most hosting sites use like Silvers, Blues sort of 3d look, but i wanted to make something which looked fresh, and not so hard and dark as the normal hosting site...It sort of displays that we are a fresh buisness which has different outlooks on hosting (images), the flower sort of displays life, and sesuality, to say that you don't need to worry about problems as we will be there for you. Its hard to display all these things, instead of saying ''i don't like...'' please try and tell me how to improve like, ''add a... image'' or ''change that to...''

Thank you.

Hi,

Sorry to triple post.

Heres an updated version with shading, text, darker border, hosting box etc

Thanks.

Alright, so I'm still not convinced that the little images have any kind of connection to hosting, but if you want to use them I would do something like what is displayed below. As far as what image does convey the impression of hosting, I'm not sure there is one other than a server rack or something similar. Most people don't know what one of those look like anyway, so I don't really think that's the perfect way to go, either. As evidenced in the case of www.bolthosting.net , you don't necessarily need an associative image tied to the logo or banner, but note also that they don't have any images that might lead the viewer to believe they are something other than hosting providers.

Here is another version without the images. Either way, I think simplicity is the way to go.

mrush

Why Not use those images?

Radiance means that, sort of fresh, pure, life (nature). Just because a company is about hosting, i don't want my users to see loads of massive, confusing and dull Motherboard, Chips and Servers, except for a few. With that banner i'm trying to display that ''we will support you all the way, so you can relax'' i don't really know how to produce all this stuff, but i'd rather have a radiant flower, then a dull, confusing chip...

To tell you the truth, i'm not too sure about your images. To me they seem in a way too plain and simple, and they look a bit unprofessional for the sort of company i'm developing, thanks for having a go though.

I like the Orange on White, White on Orange effect, but all you have done is used some linear/radial effects on the sqaures, and the first image looks pretty boring with no pictures.

And how do your images convey its hosting? I know of a company called something like ''Tree Designs'' and they are a website design company, they have pictures of nature and trees all over their site, not pictures of keyboards, flash logos etc, its the same with me, the name Radiance sort of means what those images are displaying. I don't think i'm gonna fail just because i have images of calm, relaxing nature scenes rather then dull, technical motherboards and servers.

I might try a mix of nature pictures and server pictures...

Yeah, I thought you might feel that way. Looks like we have a bit of a difference of opinion on this matter, I'm afraid. Personally I think you can convey 'fresh' and 'reliable' with the use of colors and simple design, you think flowers will do the trick. Ok then, I can live with that. I'm perfectly happy to more fully explain my views, however.

I knew from the beginning that we would likely never be in complete agreement about the nature images somehow representing hosting. I'm not trying to be an ass, but they just never will in and of themselves, my friend. I will try to explain and I hope you will try not to take offense. Keep in mind that pretty much everything I say should really be prefaced with 'in my opinion', I just don't write it out all the time.

You are correct on most points. Radiance can mean fresh, pure, life, nature. It doesn't mean exactly that to everyone, though. You're right that hosting doesn't have to be conveyed with dull servers and pictures of computer chips. I think you are going the right way in wanting to convey the message 'we will support you all the way, so you can relax'. These are all good things.

We seem to have different views about a couple of things though, so I will try to explain mine by answering your question below.

How do my images/banners convey hosting? Let's take a look at the first one. It seems to have a bunch of fruit and flowers on it, so you're right, it doesn't seem to really give you much of an indication that it might represent a hosting company. The one and only reason I put them in there is because you were/are so attached to them. That's kind of been my point...

To me, radiance can be found in nature, but it's not a manifestation of nature itself. Radiance generally refers to something that emits light or energy in some form. This radiance manifests in nature...the morning sun shining through the trees on a dew-laden glade, the soft yet brilliant glow found behind the clouds warm summer day. It can be everywhere you look...if you are looking for it. But you are looking at the canvas, not the paint. 'Radiance' is found at the source of whatever is emitting light. You are speaking specifically of 'radiance found in a nature setting', a subtly different thing. A different person could just as easily associate a bright light at the end of a dark tunnel with radiance.

Personally, 'radiance' has a more profound and esoteric meaning for me. The first thing that comes to my mind is the light that shines within and can't always be seen, the radiance of the human soul. To me, it is this that shines far more brightly than any sun. But that's just me.

Either way, my point is that 'radiance' in and of itself is a ghost of many guises. It has many forms and many faces. You are imposing your perceptions onto your design expectations. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't expect other people who view your banner to make all the same connections that you are making in regard to the meaning of 'radiance' and what they think about when they see flowers and nature pics.

The second one? I think that one does a perfectly good job of conveying your message. The color is that of ripe oranges against a field of pure white...how can you get any fresher than that? The solid-colored shape on the end of the row of rectangles provides balance because it is exactly the same color as both the little corner squares and the orange on the right that is behind 'Hosting'. The rectangles themselves have a sublte and simple 'radiant' effect that essentially emanates from the center of the name, helping lead the eye down to the name of your company. The effect adds a bit of depth to the otherwise fairly flat design and has an extremely loose connection to rows of servers, stacks of information, and believe it or not, an open door, inviting the viewer to step in and be welcome. Did I mention the connection was loose and subtle?

Do I think what I did is my best work? No, I don't. If you want me to design your banner for you then I'll need to get paid a lot more than I am now. I am simply giving you free advice based on my perception and opinion. If you don't agree with it, my world is still going to turn, as will yours. As I said when I posted them, those are examples of concepts, not finished work. Naturally they would want to be refined further. However, with that being said, I also don't think they are my worst work, either. Frankly, I think they look pretty good. This is where we can once again simply agree to disagree.

In your 'Tree Designs' example, take a look at/think about what they have done. Their name is 'Tree Designs'(or whatever), so they took a tree and worked it into the design of their site. They made a meaningful connection between the name of their company and the elements they used in their design.

As for trying a mix of nature and server pics, I'll say again that you don't really need to have an actual picture of a server on there. Remember Bolt Hosting? I think you could even make the nature stuff work, but I just think you'll have to do some visual gymnastics to make them somehow connect to 'hosting'. And yes, I still remember that you want to convey your 'don't worry, be happy' message. Keep the nature if you have to, but don't expect everyone else to see the same thing that you do when they look at it. Use it, but don't let it predominate your primary message, which is that you are a hosting company.

Peace
    mrush

Thanks for the info.

I'm not really ''attatched'' to the nature pics, i just find them more relaxing/tranquil rather than these sort of Metalic/Grey dull hosting sites. Bright sites i saw were successful, like oranges, whites, water-blue etc

I think i will mix more of a buisness look to that design, of like support staff and stuff.

I think it needs something aswell as the red flower in that corner, but i can't think. Any Ideas, I was going to have like a tall skyscraper look from below, thats been effective on some sites, with the flower.

Unfortunately I think that red flower in particular is one element that needs to go away. Sorry, but it's just my opinion that neither the colors or the overall shape of it/them is what the design is looking for.

Some things to consider...are you designing your logo, your site, just your banner? I'm getting the impression that you want to carry this 'tranquil' theme throughout the entire operation. I'm also getting the impression that the rest of the site isn't designed yet. If it is designed already, then I would use elements of the existing design in the banner. If it's not done yet, then I would highly recommend designing the site first. Once the site is done, pulling a banner out of it should be simple.

Below are some logos I found through a quick google search for hosting providers. Who knows, it might be helpful.

Good luck.
    mrush

Hi,

heres an update.
    I made sort of a ''Simple'' logo, and replaced it with the flower, but now it looks a bit boring.

I havn't got rid of the flower, because i think if there was something else there, that wasn't ''natural'' like my looking up to a skyscraper thing, it would look cool.

if you have a look at www.safehost.ch, thats sort of got that effect.
    With my banner, i've added a cool blue thing aswell, which i think gives it more of an ''edge''. Also i've made the 3d sqaures in the corner alot lighter.

Btw - The logo is seperate from the current design.

Thanks.

i personally like the second one best, i dont like the third because
    a.its too crowded with the flower and server on one side
    b.the left side doesent balance out the design, because all it has is a low contrast unidentifiable image whereas the right side has images with lots of contrast and visual "weight"

either way, i say lose the little orange/yellow boxes in the corners of the borders, i'm just not feeling them.

for a suggestion, i'd say use the 2nd one, but take out the red flower and put the radience hosting logo there

Hi,

Your right, but i would like to keep the blue bit, and maybe balance it out on the other side.

Hey,

New update lol.

Got rid of Flower, i parted with it

I've added something...You will either love it or hate it.

Its a picture of sort of a womens head looking down, take a look, she is a buisness model aswell, so it does mix with hosting/buisness.

Thanks.

Hey, heres another one which is a bit improved, added some sort of buisness/hosting images to the sqaures. I removed the blue thing in the top corner, so you could look at one with and without.

If you don't like the blue thing (as seen in my previous upload) then i need something to go in the little space above the ''Radiance Hosting'' Text, like an image or something, any ideas on what to have?

Thanks.

what about something like this?

Thanks mate,

Now that I've seen the logo, like that on its own, its made me realize that maybe with all the blue stuff, i over designed it a bit, what do you think?