A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slideshow

Slideshow

I invite you all to test my slideshow before I release the movie file. Feedback welcome

http://bretlanius.com/photos/slideshow.html

Slideshow

Hi Blanius
    Nice, extraordinary, you got it.
    Congratulations
    Rui

doesn't work right here

Problem Bret:

(Just for reference, I have dial-up so this could make a difference)

After it says Loading Images... for a while, then it starts flickering (the loading images). After about a minute of that, a picture flashed on the screen then a border of a picture faded in, (the outer box of pixels) then the rest of the picture showed up then almost instantly went away again (leaving the border). The border faded to a new picture (again just the border), flashed, then faded the border away.

If that made any sense to you, I hope it helps you make it work for dial-up connections.

EDIT:
    Alright, after letting it play though for about 5 minutes, some of the pictures fade in how they're supposed to and some still just the borders.
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.

Hmm that's a little wierd. I'll look at it again. I noticed that if I let it run in the background and switch to another window when I come back I see something similar to what you are describing. Feels a little like it's looping and running out of memory or something, (If looping it would keep making more child movies)

if anyone want to take a stab at working with it I just put it up in a zip file including the PHP code

http://bretlanius.com/flash/3dfaslideshow.zip

Critique Your SlideShow

1) First clear your cache to test results.

2) It seems as though your effect on the first photo is timing out short or long or is being interrupted by the "Wait Until" in the off position. Turn the Wait Until on (sunken position)

Remember, effects can also be used as delays without have to use the delay function.

3) Long fade-ins are CPU intensive and may display jerking on machines that have several apps open. Make fade-ins quicker.

Like that gear.

Thanks for the feedback. However there are no "effects" applied. The entire movie is done via scripting, it's the only way to work with created movie clips that I'm aware of. The Fading up and down are done in script by setting the alpha value. As for the first Slide I am aware of the issue with that, what happens is the first slide is set to 100% right away and then immediately startst to fades, I probably need to make a small change and check the fade Up value before incrementing rather than the fade down as that would probably give the first slide a moment before fading out. The fade speed is can be adjusted via a value a_rate in the start script. I tested at 10 but it is currently set to 2, this value is the amount that the alpha is changed per frame. 10 is really quick and 2 is fairly slow.

Re: doesn't work right here

Originally posted by neederofhelp
    Problem Bret:
    EDIT:
    Alright, after letting it play though for about 5 minutes, some of the pictures fade in how they're supposed to and some still just the borders.
    Would you verify your flash plugin version for me? current I believe is 7,0,19,0

Slideshow

Hi Blanius
    I'm again.
    I have LASH PLAYER Version 7,0,19,0 installed and my connection is adsl 512Kbps.
    Loading is fast.
    Unique bug detected is only in first slide, is not a bug, i think the problem is it is showed few time.
    Now, my opinion about showing time: for me the best would be fast fade and each one slide be showed more time.
    Bibi
    Rui

Re: Re: doesn't work right here

Originally posted by blanius
    Would you verify your flash plugin version for me? current I believe is 7,0,19,0
    If that's the latest version, it's what I have. I just downloaded an update last week.
    Dan

I thought about varying the time shown. Will think about it. Feel Free to look a the code and play around with the show script..... I think it's working ok not sure what the cause of the problem that needofhelp is seeing.

this problem seems to be an issue of depth. Maybe can be solved with swapdepths.

Hmm that's a little wierd. I'll look at it again. I noticed that if I let it run in the background and switch to another window when I come back I see something similar to what you are describing. Feels a little like it's looping and running out of memory or something, (If looping it would keep making more child movies)
    That may be what it is. I was switching between the forum window and your slideshow window so that could be what it is. It didn't clear up though for a very long time. I'm guessing it probably has to do with dial-up somehow. My computer is brand new with 512mb dual channel ram and bla bla bla. So it shouldn't have anything to do with the computer itself.
    Dan

I'm trying out the example here at school. (Macintosh OS X) and it works fine besides the fact that it's slow. (That's just the computer though.)

Just a small comment:
    If it's not a ton of trouble, it would be good to have a loading bar or some sort of loading animation because when I was viewing it last night, I thought it was frozen.
    Dan

I've added a swapdepth command I think it might help, let me know

Originally posted by neederofhelp
    I'm trying out the example here at school. (Macintosh OS X) and it works fine besides the fact that it's slow. (That's just the computer though.)

Just a small comment:
    If it's not a ton of trouble, it would be good to have a loading bar or some sort of loading animation because when I was viewing it last night, I thought it was frozen.
    You mean instead of the static loading images text?

You mean instead of the static loading images text?
    Yeah pretty much.

I thought it was frozen beacuse it wasn't doing anything.
    Dan

done. plus a few other tweeks.

my opinion

Hi

In my opinion you got the goal.
    100% ok
    Rui

your permission

Hi Blanius
    I intend to put a slideshow on my xml+3dfa application to show some produt photos.
    Do you give me autorization to use some of your slideshow code?...
    Rui

Re: your permission

Originally posted by rui_eduardo
    Hi Blanius
    I intend to put a slideshow on my xml+3dfa application to show some produt photos.
    Do you give me autorization to use some of your slideshow code?...
    Rui
    Of Course!

Thats why I give the code. Do you want the latest version let me upload it. I just uploaded the most current

http://bretlanius.com/flash/3dfaslideshow.zip