A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: what do i have to do to get a relpy around here?

what do i have to do to get a relpy around here?

I am working on a new anime project and so far nobody seems interested. This may be because your all thinking, "Here we go, another amature whos been using flash for a week and thinks they can make a great movie", or "there are too many flash anime movies that aren't good quality and just copy other anime movies". I can assure you i am no amature, i have been drawing all my life (im 16), and have been using flash for 4 years. The problem i am having is that frame by frame animation of complex characters is very time consuming and if i ever want it to get done, i need more animators. I also am not very good at painting backgrounds in photoshop, so i need background artists. Here, and here are samples of what i have been making and hopefull it will be an indicator as to my skill level (sorry i didn't make pre-loaders for the files). Please take the time to view these movies, and seriously consider working on this project, you wont regret it.
    www.ambientfilms.com - The next generation in flash anime.

i looks really nice..

Hello , i like your art , would like to help but i don`t know what would you like me to do cause i got a very different style , check out my animation on. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/165933.

if you think i can help let me know what to do. I`m professional animator ,still learning flash , i can paint in flash mx , not photoshop.

project

Thankyou for replying. Well i do like your animation, but as you said we have different styles. Where i am at the moment is animating on ordinary sheets of paper, scanning each individual frames, tracing in flash and then drawing the in-between frames. I noticed you use your tablet (i think thats what your using) for the lines. I prefer to use the line tool, beacause it gives a cleaner, straighter line that is more true to the anime style. If you would be willing to trace my drawings in that style if would be great if you could help, and full credit will be given once the project is done.

some people just dont have the time to work on an animation with others... thats probably why you didnt get any replies...

btw from what i've seen it doesnt look like you use all the steps you say for your animations, and if so thats a bit of a waste of time unless your gonna put more detail into them...

oh and i think i saw these animations a long time ago...

People only reply if there interested or are able to help, ofcorse there are times when they are able to help a bit and you just need to slap them upside the head a bit (like your doing now ). As you saw up earlyer, some people have different styles and if you have other people like that help you then your animation will often changer gerasticly and you might not like the changes.

This may be because your all thinking, "Here we go, another amature whos been using flash for a week and thinks they can make a great movie",
    Do keep in mind that if we had mistaken your for a noob that quickly then that must meen we come across alot which also meens there are alot here which meens you'd be geting noob help which meens that your animation would just more help and your animation would just get crappyer .

I can assure you i am no amature, i have been drawing all my life (im 16), and have been using flash for 4 years.
    If you are truly that experianced then unless you have some kind of deadline, your best cource of action would be to work this out all on your own (atleast for the design and animation) You'll et the results that YOU want and i personally think its much more rewarding to know that i do my work on my own without the help of others (accept for the few questions that i have here asked at flash kit and ofcorse help from the people who made the programs because after all, were would we be without the program? )

BTW, I cannot help you because I am a 3D artist (and not good enought one at the moment to make you anything worth putting in your animation)

yeh, you might have seen these animations before, the only other place ive uploaded them is deviantart, so mabey thats where you saw it. Sasocki, thankyou for your comments, and perhaps i am looking in the wrong place for help, but i have to try everywhere i can. The reason i want to make this movie happen so badly is because i am tired of all the tweening animation and bad comedy that you see on the net these days. For once id like to see a well animated, serious story. The only examples of this that i have seen are the ninjai series, genryu's blade, and swordsmen, all of which pretty much havent been heard from in about 3 years. Please understand the need to have decent movies being made, and if you know anyone who knows some one, that can ask someone for help,(ect) please do so.

Human Being

Rant.... ON!

Originally posted by excalibur_1988
    For once id like to see a well animated, serious story. The only examples of this that i have seen are the ninjai series, genryu's blade, and swordsmen, all of which pretty much havent been heard from in about 3 years.
    Yes. There needs to be good animation online. And there already is, provided you are talking about the examples you listed. But therein lies your real problem. Ninjai, Genryu's blade, and Swordsmen were all well articulated projects, whose creators had an original dream, and carefully crafted that dream into a reality. The medium is irrelevant. What was important was that they had a story, and they told it. Looking at your short animation test reel, (the first one, the second wouldn't load for some reason) I really worry about your intentions. For starters, it's Japan. Or China. Could be either. You have a mysterious man walking along, and looking over a balcony. A bird flies away. Right there is summed up elements from the three series you mentioned, with little else besides.

While it may be too early to judge your work, based on only one of the animations you posted, you do have the brooding protagonist from Genryu's blade, the huge quiet oriental settings from Swordsmen, and the walking over to a balcony, and zooming away from the person looking over it (shot for shot) from Ninjai. While showing your admiration for another creative work is not necessarilly bad, compiling everything you like into your own project often results in a wartered down flavorless stew (Kill Bill? Vol. 2 at least.). I've seen a fair number of such projects appear on this board. Three years ago I nearly made one myself.

Just recently I loaded back up some of those files from that project. I didn't get very far on it, but looking back I could see how enamored I had become with recent influential movies I had seen. But I continued working on smaller individual projects (such as an animated version of a certain dagger soliloquy by a certain bard as a certain school project) and worked on elements often missing from more common flash animation, such as detailed character animation. (I can't count how many "almost still characters with flapping mouth" animations I've seen) But if you really have your heart set on animating a Genryu's Blade-Swordsmen-Ninjai-hybrid, do so. Just be sure to ask yourself the important questions Scott McCloud raises at the end of his book, Understanding Comics. Is your work there for the sake of it's appearance, or is it there for some deeper purpose that drives you to create it? As Scott McCloud puts it, "Do you have anything to say?"

Don't take this harshly. I'm only two years older than you. What do I know? But I have spent four years trying to build a group of artists that could work together to create original animation. You can tell by the optimistic name I chose so long ago for my username and website title.

Sorry about being so long-winded. Just got through AP testing today. Had to write three essays. Whew!
    -GSM (Tim)

you know what party2000? your absolutely right. im sitting here right
    now, shocked that i didnt realise my mistakes sooner. Those three flash
    anime examples i mentioned are my main influences, and without even
    noticing, i created a hybrid, as you said, of all three of them. im now
    considering cancelling that particular project, maybe to work on something
    more original. You said that you have spent four years trying to put
    together a group of artist that could create original animation. would it be
    possible to find out what you are making or view anything you have done
    so far? I went to your site but it was down. Any way, thankyou for your
    reply, you rely opened my eyes.

you need to say somthing like how do i get a reply around here
    to trick them to go in then you talk about somthing totally different
    JP

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Your biggest problem here is your asking an awful lot. As you mentioned, animation is a big time consuming task. People just really don't have a lot of time to drop everything and work on someone elses project. Especially with all the talent on these boards, why would someone want to work in the confines of someone elses idea when you could realize your own vision. And you are still new around here. You only have a handful of posts and most of them are talking about this project. Build up your infamy a little. If someone is working on a project give them a hand with it and build a list of "flash friends". After a while people will be happy to give you a hand. Why do you think channel surfing worked so well? I can personally attest to this. I asked for help on channel surfing on 4 message boards. Two I post at regularly (here and smosh), and two where I have less than a dosen posts. Guess what? I didn't recieve a single reply from the latter two.

What goes around, comes around.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Your biggest problem here is your asking an awful lot. As you mentioned, animation is a big time consuming task. People just really don't have a lot of time to drop everything and work on someone elses project. Especially with all the talent on these boards, why would someone want to work in the confines of someone elses idea when you could realize your own vision. And you are still new around here. You only have a handful of posts and most of them are talking about this project. Build up your infamy a little. If someone is working on a project give them a hand with it and build a list of "flash friends". After a while people will be happy to give you a hand. Why do you think channel surfing worked so well? I can personally attest to this. I asked for help on channel surfing on 4 message boards. Two I post at regularly (here and smosh), and two where I have less than a dosen posts. Guess what? I didn't recieve a single reply from the latter two.

What goes around, comes around.