A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you tell a client their ideas suck?

How do you tell a client their ideas suck?

Hey guys!

Just finished reading over the other thread on how to tell a company their site is crappy... and it reminded me of something similar in when the client's ideas for their site are horrible.

I have some projects completed that I am ashamed of and I would never add to my portfolio because the client was insistant that his site have 24pt red text or HUGE bright purple buttons.

hmmm, come to think of it.. I think I have ranted on this board before about this issue.

To all the clients who give you the freedom to do what you do best... WE LOVE YOU AND THANK YOU!

okay I think I'm done.. thanks for listening and if you too need to share your story.. please do!

Also if anyone has any nice ways of saying a company's idea is crap.. any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    i wish i had a sig

just follow the lead of political campaigns everywhere:

take real statistics, regardless of context, and make them work for your case. then, it looks like you're helping them, (which you would be), but you're also looking like you're saying "gee, I really DO enjoy reading 24 point font in red, and I wish I could do it on every site--especially yours since it's such a great idea, but studies show the color red is often obscured by the color-blind population, and the 24 point font is pushing too much content below the *fold* for users on a 1024 px resolution..."

Thanks erova!

Good advice.. I am going to have to come up with a more responses to horrible ideas so I can be prepared.

LoL im going to start making a list.
    i wish i had a sig

Take erova's advise. Then, when it comes down to it, approach it like so:

Client: [presents incredibly horrible, stupid idea]

You: "Do you mind if I challenge your thinking on that?"

Client: "Okay"

Good advice from erova.

Also, you could provide them with alternatives. If it's something as simple as a font size and color, it's easy to do. Have the playhead stop at a frame with tehir font color and size, then have a discreet button that when clicked, takes them to the next frame, stops, and shows them your alternative. Add a frame with a stop action for each alternative you offer. Chances are, you'll only get one shot at convincing them an alternative is better unless you do show them something better on the first try.

Unfortunatley it's rarely limited to something as simple as a font, but if you catch the issue earlier enough, changing it once you convince them will be much easier.

Good luck

Hope to get my avatar uploaded
    stick to erova's advice, i'd say...
    the extra work (for trying to show them the alternative, as yendor suggested) is only going to give you extra headaches, and prove to you once again that ur client is as stupid as you thought, that he can't see a good alternative even if it poked him in the eye...

Statistics will work much better...I'm sure

Bye bye
    I'm trying to code...
    ...but my cortex doesn't help me...i think i should stick to design...
    ------------------------------------------
    Spine Design Studio - web design, flash site design, search engine optimization, promotion, identity and logo design

@E-Pro Staff

Yeah I always have problems too but there isn't really anything you can do about it. Every monitor is different, some have red tubes dying in them, blue tubes, etc. So I think it's hard to try and calibrate their monitor to see what you are seeing.

I always tell my clients to just believe me that it is a blue color and they trust me.

Re: Off-subject: color matching w/ long-distance clients

Originally posted by E-Pro Staff
    Hey guys-
    E-Pro Staff... keep threads on topic... do NOT hijack other threads to get answers to technical questions.

My brother does advertisment for clients in Hawaii, and I asked him a similar question.
    He related that if you show your client similarly horrible site designs, he may realize that his idea somewhat mimics it. and may change his mind, without feeling stupid.
    They feel that Flash is an open canvas, and not realize design flaws until the whole site is put together and looks like crap.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

You've given me a pretty good idea of how I should be going about this. I think I need to be more assertive and confident then I have been. I guess you learn with more experience how to handle situations like this better.
    i wish i had a sig

To be completely honest, our client's are receptive to us when we tell them that we disagree with their idea (politely) and explain why we think that. They seem ready and willing to trust us because they do recognize that we are the experts.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.