A Flash Developer Resource Site

View Poll Results: Is 3DFA now truly dead?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 56.52%
  • No

10 43.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 3D Flash Animator Dead

Is 3D Flash Animator Dead

I have previously called a similar poll, but I believe it is time to do it again. Now that a new version has not been released, and that they are no longer answering any emails.

So, the question is: Is 3D Flash Animator now DEAD?

Deader than dead. (whoa)

Maybe they're SeCrEtLy programming a new super version of 3DFA and can't answer any e-mails or look at the forums because it is taking up too much of their time......

......I wish.
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.

I wish too

I wish very hard...

... but nothing is happening...

I think it is, as you say, deader than dead.

its dead

damned...

I believe it's dead

but, after some investigations, I can understand why ! But I don't care, the concept of 3DFA was great, and I will take it to write my own applications ! I already began to write one but not for flash...

What we could do is maybe to open a new project 'opensource ?' and write our own tool...not very difficult...I believe 3dfa was a lot of javascript (maybe a mix with vbscript) and html....and something that could generate an exe...like you can find with like this that I discovered and bought 3 weeks ago...great !! - of course with the new version of Mozilla and XUL , it would be more interesting !!!

We just have to add an activeX connection (you can find open projects too like bukoo ...or ming), and with such simple tools, we could create our own application ...

That's enough for now, I said here a lot of things, I'm going on hollidays for a week ! If you're interested for such a project, let me know, I will give you ideas and programming contribution.

damned !
    Last edited by Glops; 05-15-2004 at 04:03 PM.

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar

Nooooooo

I think I'm in denial, because I really don't want to have to learn something else or pay exorbitant prices for Macromedia products !

Just a question:
    It seems to me that revenue is a problem for 3DFA, mainly because the price is so low, and there's no ongoing money coming in from users like ourselves beyond the initial purchase.

So to solve this, why not have 2 products:

1. The current product 'as-is' with support provided by the forum only.
    2. An enhanced product, whereby you pay an ongoing fee per year for upgrades and improved support. (Perhaps getting upgrades in advance of standard users).

This additional revenue may allow the product to remain viable, as it may provide sufficient resource for support and development, whereas my understanding of the current situation is that 3DFA have cut their own throat by knocking the software out cheap without an ongoing source of income.

I for one would rather pay a little more for support rather than see the product die.

Just thought I'd float this since things are sounding a bit bleak at the moment, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation completely!

Morgan.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

I really hope it's not.

The fact that this thread hasn't been deleted is a bad sign though.

Maybe Rob is on Holiday or something.

..................Well, for the record, Rob almost never ventures into this neck of the woods. Never has, suspect never will (at least not on a regular basis), pretty sure that/this was dkerrs(damians)responsibility ......................

............as far as new releases go, it took much longer than this before the 4.0 version came out after 3.72............

...........and surprise among surprises 3dfa doesn't answer emails for support. Anyone ever get them to answer an email expediently?

EVER?

EVER???????????

I do know Rob has an other project (or did have) that he was working on, a button creation program that outputs flash menus, perhaps he's working in that direction currently (perhaps not)................

-J

Glops: I'm behind you all the way... If we get that started up, then linux versions can be easily created. Apart from that, anyone can contribute.

ForumNewbie: I agree with you too... I also do not want to purchase Macromedia. Your idea is sound!

If it was possible to contact 3dfa, I would say let's do... But no response has been heard in a long time. The last thing that will put a head on things is if the www.3dfa.com site went down, which it may in the near future, if it really is being ignored.

I hope it doesn't though...

Hope!

Originally posted by zoranvedek Anyone ever get them to answer an email expediently?

EVER?

EVER???????????
    Well actually I used to get immediate answers to emails about bugs or problems.
    Not anymore....

Actually(in all fairness), yeah, I have had the experience of getting good responses but only from an email address that was recognized(specifically the one I use here)..............................

On the other hand, I found this board originaly because I couldn't get a response from support on some very basic questions and it was only after posting here for several months that I did in fact start getting responses from my emails.

I sent a bug report in about 2 months ago, and got a response on that(if it helps anyone). I generally don't mess with support though.

A likely possible scenario is that there are fewer new users and it wouldn't be a worthwhile effort to put out a new release with everyone simply getting it for free. I thought for sure when changed the name from IFA to 3DFA that they where doing it to get away from the free upgrades, but I was wrong then, so who knows.

I would sure hate to see the program left in it's current state though.

-J

Well the answers did only happen when I emailed Rob at his personal email address rather than the support address. In the past he has assured me that he reads the support email. But I've emailed him several times in the last month or two and gotten zero replys.

He dosen't owe me a response but I've been trying hard to act like the unofficial support here and he has thanked me for the effort, and the last email I had was that he was working on NEW products that would also be part of the next release of 3dfa but also stand alone products. I've assumed that he has been busy with that, but I've sent email about these threads hoping he'd respond at some level. I've even sent emails telling him I cannot do the work I want with the current release but again nothing in response.

I really like 3dfa and found it is the easiest program to do simple animations with. And I love the power of actionscript, even though I can barely scratch the surface of what can be done. I feel that he could fix the few major bugs that I've outlined for him in email There would be nearly no reason to use anything but 3dfa.

3dfa

Hi
    In this last weeks i got know the 3dfa scripting powerfull.
    Something like dynamic html (dom, javascript, css, xhtml), but more
    easy to code because we have a plugin wich get a general plataform for all pcs.
    In my opinion it's not good (for all us) then this great capacities can't be improved on future, specially with xhtml, style sheets, SVG (one tool with future), exe, etc..
    Like some of us, i agree pay a litle more to get these improvements.
    Open source would be very complicated to get these improvements, at least i think this.
    Anyway, i'm with you, i'm not an expert, but i'm available to collaborate with my capacities.
    Rui

I'm sure Rob has a life of other things than 3DFA and needs to earn a living, I don't believe 3DFA does that for him. A programer can only go so far on a good thing. I imagine it will take him a lot longer to improve on this program. I have worked with Flash and 3DFA for sometime now. 3DFA is an outstanding product and my choice to get the job done effeciantly; I can't imagine seeing it go away anytime soon.
    PW Ihms

Originally posted by pwihms
    I'm sure Rob has a life of other things than 3DFA and needs to earn a living, I don't believe 3DFA does that for him. A programer can only go so far on a good thing. I imagine it will take him a lot longer to improve on this program. I have worked with Flash and 3DFA for sometime now. 3DFA is an outstanding product and my choice to get the job done effeciantly; I can't imagine seeing it go away anytime soon.
    Rob admitted to me that 3dfa makes money. And I'm sure he wants to make it the best program. If he where to fix the major bugs as doucmented my myself and others I'd be pretty happy with 3dfa AS IS.... Of course I'd like to see future improvements as well.

Originally posted by blanius
    The fact that this thread hasn't been deleted is a bad sign though.

Maybe Rob is on Holiday or something.
    Uhh, right.

I would also love to see improvements... this program has the potential to be like THE BEST program... but it needs to be worked on,
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.

Quite the Contrary

Originally posted by pwihms
    [B]I'm sure Rob has a life of other things than 3DFA and needs to earn a living, I don't believe 3DFA does that for him. A programmer can only go so far on a good thing. I imagine it will take him a lot longer to improve on this program. I have worked with Flash and 3DFA for sometime now. 3DFA is an outstanding product and my choice to get the job done effeciantly; I can't imagine seeing it go away anytime soon.
    Let's do the numbers, 3DFA sells for $60.00. How many in this community shares the feelings of 3DFA's value and would walk 20 miles bare foot to get it started up again?

According to software publishers who I've consulted, and who have made a concerted effort to promote their product, they will sell conservatively 20,000 units per year in the category of Window’s utilities programs selling for $19.00 to $29.00

Twenty thousands units of 3DFA is a conservative number when you consider: world wide markets in the interest of a production tool that delivers Flash content, the level of control, scripting, non-scripting, integration with other technologies, easy of use, positioned among like products, possesses a RDA (rapid development application) interface, has a multitude of text and animation effects and finally - the price point.

20,000 units x $60.00 = $1,200,000 per year gross income. Let's be more conservative. 10,000 units x $60.00 = $600,000 per year. The software business can be very rewarding to say the least. I maintain that many creative programmers are not marketing savvy and most, if not all marketing people are not programmers.

There is a psychological mind set that does not allow programmers to want to deal with marketing. These cultures are exclusive and set apart. Merely placing your product on the internet is not enough.

If Rob is the sole owner and or sole or senior programmer I say he is a true genius and he is to be considered ahead of his time.

Most likely Rob is either:

A) Not among the living
    B) Is incarcerated
    c) Is in a comma
    D) Deserted the 3DFA project
    E) Been taken hostage
    F) Or is like Miles Davis - just don't give a damn what anyone thinks and will make his appearance when he wants.

I think we are killing a dead horse. But when love runs so deep . . . these treads will continue to surface.
    Last edited by rblanc; 05-17-2004 at 05:26 PM.

I would hate to see this project die

Thanks for the statistics!

But I must say, this is not looking good... From what we have brought up between us:
    - Rob must not be present in this project, temporarily at least
    - A version has not been released for an extended period of time, with no obvious development, marking it, if not dead, then barely alive and lastly
    - The current 3DFA has enormous potential, and yet nothing is being done on it!!!

If this were Open Source I believe things would quicken up... Modules and bufixes could be sent regularly and the project would be much better. Also, because the project is much better, the RRP would have to rise, and Macromedia MIGHT be threatened.

If nothing happens however, this great program will subside into nothing, a small scrap of dust in a massive useless shell of potential.

I would HATE to see this project die, but the prospects do not look promising.

Rob

I did a check and Rob's last apperance in the forums was

10-05-2003 02:05 AM

Nearly a year ago man that's not good.

i think i speek in the name of all of us when i say

WE SICK OF YOU PEOPLE ALWAYS TRYING TO "KILL" 3DFA EVERY FEW WEEKS !!!

this is 3DFA get over it ! you dont like get some other program ! just leave us alone from your stupid annoying complains !
    ok....what ?