A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AutoCAD

Off during Summer

AutoCAD

OK, here goes...

I have never touch AutoCAD before nor do I know how to operate it. This seems to be the only place where I can find threads about AutoCAD (well in Flashkit of course) The museum that I volunteer for is looking for someone and till today they still couldn't find anyone. The program administrator asked me if I want to get my hands on it and I haven't given her any response yet.

My questions are:

1. Is it hard to learn? Comparing to photoediting program or flash, how hard is it?

2. Anyone knows where is the best place to get online tutorials? I googled it and it seems like it's everywhere.

I am hoping that someone can let me know before I commit myself into something that I won't be able to fulfill.

Thanks all!!
    You know you're a Flash addict when you start looking at everything around you and say, 'I bet I could do that in Flash"....Keith Peters

Hi

What is it that they would like you to do in AutoCAD?

It is a pretty complex application and a basic knowledge or experience of drafting and 3D modeling applications would be a bonus.

I personally don't use it as it is better suited to the Architechtural and Engineering markets.

Let me know what you need to do, maybe I can assist.
    "A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

Off during Summer

Thanks for your reply!

Hi,

The program administrator wanted someone to put in the floor plan of the museum to Autocad program. I've look at some tutorial and it "looked pretty straight-forward. I guess I under-estimate it's capability.

No experience in 3D or drafting either so I don't know. I wonder if there is a 30 day trial period autocad program that I can download and try out?...lol.

Thanks again man!
    You know you're a Flash addict when you start looking at everything around you and say, 'I bet I could do that in Flash"....Keith Peters

AutoCAD is pretty straight-forward; however to be completely honest, it's not an easy program, and mind you, if you're doing a floor plan, you have to remember that it's what people use to make floorplans for real buildings... so being accurate in your measurements will go in your favor.

the tutorials that come with it are great, but a bit tedious, and learning the tools is a definite must.

they have a new streaming trial that you can try out for 30 days, btw.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Off during Summer

cool!

It's funny that I looked into the website and totally forgot about the trial. Thanks for that. I haven't totally decided whether I am going to do it or not but it's definitely going to be a challenge! (if I do of course or they found someone) I do know the version the museum's using right now is an older version but I guess the tools will be quite the same...right?

Thanks again!

yeah, for the most part. I learned AutoCAD around release 10, and again at 12. And I just had a hands-on experience with AutoCAD 2005, and had absolutely no issues getting into the tools.

some things have moved, but it's largely the same. the isometric tools/view is so much better than before now than then though.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]