A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do U do pure flash?

Do U do pure flash?

Do you do websites in pure flash? What are the pros & cons? Can you do the ones that always fill up the screen, like here?

It seems the trend in our business is that "diversity is king". In other words, the more you are able to do, the more valuable you are.

This isn't always the case, however. For some people, it is their specialty that makes them valuable, and in many cases this specialty is Flash development.

Specializing in one particular facet of the development spectrum is usually most beneficial when your client is an agaency who is doing a complete package, and is hiring you to complete only a portion of the total project.

When freelancing, however, you are most often more valuable as a multi-capable developer, or at least if you personally are skilled in one area but have partnerships to provide the other critical areas of the projects you may take on.

(I'm answering this question based on the assumption that you're asking it in the 'business' sense, and not as a technical question. )

I mean it it the sence of... where can I get one done... how much will it cost us... and what is the advantage of having it done in pure flash.

SPAMMER
    re: all flash sites-

pros -
    You can do cool page transitions.
    You can keep everything on one html page without having to reload the page everytime you click a button.
    If done properly, filesizes can be very small.
    Cross platform/browser.
    Audio/video options.

cons -
    You can do cool page transitions (sometimes it just not worth it).
    All flash sites can be harder and more exspensive to code.
    Search engines dont pick up flash based content.
    It is harder to fit the content to the users screen resolution, but it can be done.

Its all about the clients business. If they are targeting a large section of the public, a html site is probably best as they can get a higher search engine rating and all visitors can view the content. If you are dealing with audio/vidual content (a band site for instance), go for flash or hybrid.

Is advanceflash.net done in pure flash?

SPAMMER
    yea, the frontend is all flash. Backend uses php, xml and mysql.

Is it possible to duplicate a site that is currently being done using dreamweaver and flash...and make the duplicate in pure flash... with a different name (like a personal version of my commercial site)

MacMatix,
    I assume that, since you have been around here for a while, you know Flashkit does not allow job posts.
    If you want to discuss the pros/cons of Flash web development, please feel free to continue, but if you are looking for work to be done, I'm asking you not to. Otherwise, I'll have to close your thread.
    I think the conversation of Flash/non-flash web development has a lot of merit.

Thanks,

Jay

Web Developer & Designer
    I very much dislike entire websites made in Flash, personally.

Show me the most popular website that is entirely made in Flash, and it probably isn't even near the value of many other top sites (even though it would probably be much cooler )

Also I don't like Flash sites because you can't pass the URL to someone else; you have to tell them how to browse to the location.
    Gary W Web Developer and Designer

Does that mean I wouldn't be able to send someone a link to my site? Would it show up at Google?

Web Developer & Designer
    Originally posted by MacMatix
    Does that mean I wouldn't be able to send someone a link to my site? Would it show up at Google?
    Only the main page I'd assume; and no text description except if you have something in your meta tags.

_
    Originally posted by MacMatix
    You can send someone to a link to your Flash site. Just not the exact page.

It is possible to get it to show up in google with the use of a splash page.

-Mike

Web Developer & Designer
    Originally posted by mikecoutermarsh

-Mike
    And use of meta tags, etc.

_
    Originally posted by Gary W
    And use of meta tags, etc.
    Yes of course, I've had trouble in the past getting a Flash site indexed on meta tags alone.

A Splash page or a small paragraph summary of the site under the Flash seems to work best.

Is it faster or slower to load on screen?

jay,

did my post on the blah.swf?var=1 get erased?

Originally posted by pheck
    jay,

did my post on the blah.swf?var=1 get erased?

Hmm... I didn't see it, Phil. I'll poke around and see if someone else did. In the meantime, if it fits here, go ahead and post it.

just responding to this:

You can actually link to the section of an all flash website by using the method I was describing (blah.swf?section=1 embedding of swf). This would correspond with an php/htm file that had the same tag on it, for example.