A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: anyone wanna take me on in their company :(

I Like To Flash in Public ;) thebluedragon's Avatar

anyone wanna take me on in their company :(

hey everyone,

Is anyone out there willing to take me on in the web design company and give me a chance to learn more skills in flash etc.

Because no one is willing to give me a chance to join a web design company with my flash skills.

I know I aint brilliant, no need to tell me that but we all need help in improving our skills, and given a chance to get experince that every company wants.

My site is:

http://www.am1t.net

I can design websites for small businesses, but I can't get any business I want to imporve and get more websites in my portfolio.

Can someone please shed light on this matter, because Im going crazy!!!

Ps. PLease give me feedback on my website (which isnt finished by the way)

Thanks

First of all, I want to say that I do not want to hire you.
    Mostly because I'm not in the position where I need to hire anyone, but also because you just wouldn't fit, frankly.
    Your grammar (I know this is a web-forum, and typos are pretty much a given) is lacking, your web skills are lacking and your design ability does not show through on your website or portfolio. I don't know your age, but it seems that after being a member of Flashkit since 2001, you would have enough experience to get at lest an entry-level position somewhere if you had applied yourself to it. I just sense this really isn't what you want to do with your career. I don't want to discourage you, but I would also ask you if this is truly the field you want to get so deeply involved in.

Web design/development is now an 'old' industry, meaning that the excitement and novelty of it has completely worn off to a dull shine. The industry is flooded with the dot-bomb experts who are now relegated to meager paychecks, and gazillions of talented young people who have been learning this stuff since 3rd grade and who can outcode/design/develop many veterans.

In order to make it in this field, you need to be very good at least at SOMETHING web related, and have the ability to show it.

Most web development companies are working very lean, with the minimum number of people it takes to complete the work... these people also have to have the skills and speed to compete.

If you are totally serious about doing this for a career, then I would suggest to either go to school for it, or really crack down and learn everything you can, improving your skills to the level that you would be marketable.

Otherwise, I would begin looking into other opportunities.

I can design websites for small businesses, but I can't get any business I want to imporve and get more websites in my portfolio.

Can someone please shed light on this matter, because Im going crazy!!!
    If you really want to get business, then improving your Flash skills will not help you. Business owners do not care about your design skills, they are only concerned about if you can help them achieve their business objectives.

As for getting hired, they will care about your design skills, but you will also need to demonstrate some other qualities, such as maturity, communication skills to name a few.

SPAMMER
    persistance mate, just keep trying every avenue and use every single spare minute learning new techniques. Nothing is handed to you on a plate in this industry, you really have to put every effort into making yourself employable. Buy books, read tutes, look at your favourite sites and see how they place things, deal with content, attract your eye to certain parts of the site. Also, even if you are not that positive about yourself yet, act positive.

Wow! What kind of mood was I in yesterday?!

thebluedragon, sorry for starting my post off so harsh... After reading over it again, it could appear rude, and I didn't intend it to be. I certainly hold to my comments, but just wanted to give you a little more encouragement...
    Like everyone that ever gets anywhere, hard work and persistence will surely pay off.

Best wishes.

Jay

Wow Jabez, you are a monster. lol. Your post was perfect.

Begging for help will get you nowhere. If you really wanted to learn Flash, you would. It does not look like you are even at an unpaid intern level yet. A company will end up investing a lot of time into an intern so you have to show them that you are worth it. Your one unfinished website does not tell me that.

If you really want it, take it. If not, shut it.

Job posts aren't really allowed here - and in general, if you want better luck, check out something like www.dice.com.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Originally posted by juxtaflo
    Wow Jabez, you are a monster. lol. Your post was perfect.
    well, I just hate to make people cry, you know? I guess I'm getting soft in my (relatively)old age! Haha! (32 btw)

FK Slacker
    Well, anyone who can't handle criticism is definitely in the wrong industry...

K.

Originally posted by JabezStone
    First of all, I want to say that I do not want to hire you.
    Mostly because I'm not in the position where I need to hire anyone, but also because you just wouldn't fit, frankly.
    Your grammar (I know this is a web-forum, and typos are pretty much a given) is lacking, your web skills are lacking and your design ability does not show through on your website or portfolio. I don't know your age, but it seems that after being a member of Flashkit since 2001, you would have enough experience to get at lest an entry-level position somewhere if you had applied yourself to it. I just sense this really isn't what you want to do with your career. I don't want to discourage you, but I would also ask you if this is truly the field you want to get so deeply involved in.

Web design/development is now an 'old' industry, meaning that the excitement and novelty of it has completely worn off to a dull shine. The industry is flooded with the dot-bomb experts who are now relegated to meager paychecks, and gazillions of talented young people who have been learning this stuff since 3rd grade and who can outcode/design/develop many veterans.

In order to make it in this field, you need to be very good at least at SOMETHING web related, and have the ability to show it.

Most web development companies are working very lean, with the minimum number of people it takes to complete the work... these people also have to have the skills and speed to compete.

If you are totally serious about doing this for a career, then I would suggest to either go to school for it, or really crack down and learn everything you can, improving your skills to the level that you would be marketable.

Otherwise, I would begin looking into other opportunities.

<Neo> Woah! </Neo> -that was some of the best advice I have ever heard on the subject. Those few paragraphs should be read and burned into the minds of every newbie out there including me! great stuff. This is why I venture into the board room once in a while for nuggets of gold like that!

The gummy bear god is wise.