A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: preload images in gallery?

preload images in gallery?

Hey all. I was just wondering how one might setup a gallery or "something" that actually displays a preloader while each image in the gallery is opened and loads. thanks
    Woody

you could load each picture as a separate swf with it's own loader using the loadMovie command
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

for the sake of organization... is there a way to place swf files in folders? I mean, I know you have to have your other swfs in the same folder but is there anyway to loadmovie command and have it open movies from a folder?
    Woody

sure

on (release) {
    loadMovieNum("pics2/rusty3.swf", 2);
    }

pics2 is my folder

you can preload dynamic content too so you could avoid loading swf's and just load the jpg's, but i've never done it. If you search the forum for preloading dynamic jpg's you'd probably find an easier solution, im just old-fashioned
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

awesome. now the only thing I'm still a bit worried about is this...
    I'm basically trying to make an image gallery, where 1 movie has the thumbnails and each thumbnail opens an indivudal movie with an image (w/ a preloader). My only question is... how might I go about making it so that when I click a different thumbnail, the previous movie w/ the image closes and allows the new movie to open? Meaning... how would I set up my thumbnail buttons so that when clicked, the current open movie fades out, and a new movie is opened (w/ the preloader)? I hope this makes sense cause I know what I'm trying to acheive, but have no idea how to do it. any help would be great. thanks!
    Woody

Look into these fla's. This gives you the code you need. The sliding door clip could just as easily be a clip with the same color as the backgroun that fades to opaque and back again. And I only added one loading movie cause of size, but you get the idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files

iaskwhy your method seems tedious for someone who has 200+ images to use. Is there an easier premade flash movie out there that allows you to just dump your jpgs into it for it to work? The best thing I have found is this imageWeaver version. Let me know
    -doug
    'In order to drink from the cup of life, you must first fill it up'

I am playing with the transition loader and it works well... BUT I tried to do something I and I don't know why it doesn't work. Basically, I created my own modified pic SWFs with their own preloaders and everything. Each has about 20 frames however. When I try to load them in the transitionmc SWF, I don't see my own preloader and it would appear that only the first 12 frames or so play. Any ideas?
    Woody

The transitions mc is just half of a preloader. That other fla I included has the code for the other half. Your loading movies all need that half of the code for it to work.

I don't know why any swf loaded this way should have a problem playing anything in the file. Unless the target paths are wrong.

oh excellent. Well, I've made it so that each image swf has a preloader... is there a way I might get the transition movie clip to recognize THAT preloader instead of it's own? Thanks a bunch iask
    Woody

I don't know. The point of my fla's was to give you a transition effect. I don't know how adding a preloader is going to work with that.

Originally posted by deesh123
    iaskwhy your method seems tedious for someone who has 200+ images to use. Is there an easier premade flash movie out there that allows you to just dump your jpgs into it for it to work? The best thing I have found is this imageWeaver version. Let me know
    -doug
    anyone?
    'In order to drink from the cup of life, you must first fill it up'

deesh123 you should try imageWeaver 2.0.2, still in beta, however there are currently no bugs and it comes with full help docs and support forum...

http://www.buggedcom.co.uk/forum/dlo...ile&file_id=20

need any help using it just post in the forum.
    ~bugged

imageWeaver gallery
    microsite direct download

"Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."