A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: can I send the timeline backward?!

can I send the timeline backward?!

well...I don't know if it's what I mean, but I need to make a command scroller such as the one in this page
    http://www.ign.com/?fromint=1
    you know, the 'today on ign' one.
    I can make a scroller that goes in a direction and it's perfect, but I want to use 2 buttons (forward/backward) to have total control on the bar.
    any help????

How are you making the scroller that goes forward? Just a motion tween? That way will work but not best. You best solution is going to be using some actionsript and whenever the forward button is pushed it will increment the _x value forward until a certain goal. Same thing for backwords except you want to increment backwards.

let me know if this is clear. If not I can probly through up a little example for ya.

Yeah...I made it with a motion tween but your idea is surely great and time saving...really useful...
    can you yous write me an actionscript example to give to the buttons? I figured out your example but I don't know exactly hou to fully use it...

something like
    code:

onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    _x+=1
    }

and the mc it is on is only one frame long.

You would have like

Frame 1 would be the instance with no as on it and frame 2 would have the above as on the instance, and frame 3 would have the as with a
    code:

_x-=1

your buttons would do a
    code:

//forward
    on(release){
    gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

//Backward
    on(release){
    gotoAndPlay(3);
    }

change the 1 to reflect how fast you want it to move

Didnt get to test it so let me know if it doesnt work........I will think of something else.