A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jkrowling.com

jkrowling.com

www.jkrowling.com

with the new potter movie coming out someone showed me this and I thought there was enough to it to post here.

I've not read any of the books but it looks like there's plenty of rewards on the site for those that have (or just a lot of crap spread around that doesn't actually mean anything). Some engaging little vignettes and content.

made by www.lightmaker.com

it looks sharp. even snappy on the problematic Mac browsers...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I think the site as a whole works well...But something about the graphics/illustrations doesn't sit well with me. Everything has all the same level of detail and sharpness etc. that it's hard to focus on the important areas (so some of the navigation gets lost), and ends up looking messy or cluttered to me.

I checked out the developers site. Thought that was very nice!

I would have expected way more for such a high profile writer. This site is pretty lame. They could have done so much more with the subject matter. Had the pages in the book turn instead of just the corner of the page flip up. The colors are ooooh sooo bland...there is no consistancy. Scary thing is, Im sure they got a chunk o' change for this site...what a rip off.
    pickles

the site mainly focused on her desk..which was what she wanted..the site has had a huge amount of visitors.

I think the site is fine because it is exactly what she wanted..She didn't need to get all techy, or fancy because people already know about her. I think the site is tailored to a nice blog site for a writer.

I really liked it. I would not say it was a rip off. You have no idea what the client wanted or how much it cost. I would like to have seen the page flip thing though.

no, your right I dont. What I do know is that its not in my opinion 'cool' I dont think its worthy of being in the 'cool' forum...thats all folks
    pickles

I think the site is a success for the kind of demographic it will attract. The content is fun and interactive, and it all works well together. Have a look through any of the numerous message boards about the site and the secrets on it, kids seem to love exploring it.

If it was any more complex, with needless effects, I think it would have met with some resistance. I don't think page turning effects would have added anything to be honest. There's a thin line to tread when building sites like this, that you want to be indepth and captivating for the audience but also accessible. I think this is a good balance.

Wow, been a while since lightmaker made anyting but TMT...

I don't really like the site, and personally, they really should stick to making 3D chat rooms. I've always looked at Lightmaker as being a bunch of Developers who know a bit of designing too, not as a team of developers AND designers.

Zak.

call me 'old school' but I believe that theres a purpose to having Designers and Developers create a site (as a team). When you have a bunch of developers build a site, yes, it works and serves a great purpose ...but...theres no real quality behind it (aesthetically) as there was no imput from a designer. I dont think that a programmer can program a site AND design it well..he/she needs the designer for that. Just like the designer needs the programmer in some cases to add the back end functionality. Rowlings site may function well, but it lacks the quality a designer can contribute.
    pickles

Originally posted by clews30
    Rowlings site may function well, but it lacks the quality a designer can contribute.
    Thats exactly what I meant. They ARE infact just a bunch of developers. If not, they must have 1 designer for every 20 developers...

Zak.

Im glad you see what I mean I have worked with many developers ...and thats what they are ...developers. Some say 'ohh yeah, I can design too'...but thats not the case..they are technical wizards but they all seem to think they can design really well too..its not possible.
    pickles

I understand your point but I disagree with it. I think it was designed with a particular purpose and it meets that purpose in its design.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you Aversion. I forgot that the main audience will be children.

Nice site but a bit cluttered.

-NITIN ANAND-
    http://www.nanand78.com
    :::::::::: HTTP://WWW.NANAND78.COM ::::::::::

how did he animate the butterfly and fly and spider? Ive always tried to but mine come out crappier than all crap
    Yarrg Matey!

http://www.jkrowling.com

the autor site of harry potter...

http://www.jkrowling.com

Yeah, we've established that...

i love the site... it's for ALL harry potter fans!

thing is.. i've only gotten one item in my scrapbook..

any of you figure anything else out? i got the whole eraser thing only...
    Flash MX + ASP + WinXP Pro
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

I think I found the coolest thing on jkrowling.com ...and does anybody now how it was done....on my computer the watch it the same time as my computer...that is cool if its not a coincidence.