A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you can solve this one your a genius.

Hells Kitchen
    Good eye MusicMan! I took that out because for weeks I'v been trying to stop the cacheing, but no luck. When the user uploads an image to replace one, it works fine except that when it prints the image, it takes it from the cache and not the new image. Unforunately, you have to refresh it to see the newly uploaded image. I've tried anti-cacheing headers, dumping after a certain period of time, and even auto-refreshing after a period of time. No luck.

So thats why I took the image printing out. Im going to put it back when I can fix this prob. Do you know how I can fix it?
    _

hey flashgod it works perfectly, thanks!

a couple questions though...

1. couldn't you do without the popup page, and put your main page in frames? so on 1 frame the upload button would be there, and on the other frame is your .swf movie with the refresh button?

2. couldn't you also do without a refresh button and the movie clip that the image is loaded into would have an enterframe action which keeps loading the image so it would actually refresh it for you automatically?

Hells Kitchen
    POPUP QUESTION:

No, unfortunately their isn't a way to do it with out the pop up. We have to wait untill Java script or Flash can do "type='file' forms".

REFRESH QUESTION:

I deleted the refresh button. http://www.joeweitzel.com/uploader/ I guess the one in the .zip still has it.

Yeah you can make it auto refresh, but it will only slow it down. loadMovie is a thing that you want to minimize because it can really overwhelm your browser. I have a G5 and when I made it auto refresh it made my browser quit.

But if you insist make it so it doen't refresh it for at least 30 seconds at a time. Im going to keep upgrading it, and my next step is going to be where if you upload new images, it will send a variable back to Flash so it knows when to refresh. I don't know when Ill get to it, but Ill let you know any upgrades I make on it.
    _

flashgod, is there a way to bring the image into flash at a set size (ex. all images will fit into a 100px x 100px box?

and is there a way to show a progress bar when the image is being uploaded to the server?

sorry to bother you, i appreciate the help!
    Last edited by frreestyle; 10-11-2004 at 07:20 PM.

Hells Kitchen
    Yes and yes. Make the dropzone movieclip inside another movieclip and scale it down 50%. Make sure you change the dot notation so the loadMovie will know that the dropzone MC is no longer on the root level, but now inside a scaled down MC.

You can make a loader for a load movie, but I don't know off hand. Search the forums for "loading loadMovie"

-Joe
    _

Hi,

I think last question was about showing upload progress ... I have not seen a reliable upload progress meter so far without extensive server programming or extra client software

As for monitoring loadmovie progress: despite macromedia documenting totalbytes() functions, it does not really work - try http://wolfgang.remsnet.de/imageloader.swf - if you view it in player 6, the totalbytes remains 0 until download finishes while player 7 always shows same values for total and loaded bytes

Musicman

hey thanks for the feedback. i figured out how to change the size of the uploaded image to be scaled down to a box, but i couldn't do it by scaling the clip 50%, because i need for all uploaded images to fit inside the same box. but it's working now anyway.

i'll have to look into getting a progress bar working, but i encountered another problem. When an image is uploaded you can't see it unless you clear your cache. even when you hit refresh in flash or in the browser, the new image wont show unless the user clears their cache. is there a way to automatically clear the user's cache?

thanks for the responses!

Hi,

you cannot clear your visitor's cache.
    You can either
    - tell the browser not to cache things, if you read the images through a php script that adds anti-cache headers, or
    - abuse the cache by adding some unique ?stuff at the end of the image url, like the current time

Musicman