A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: <! which video format?

<! which video format?

Hey!

Finally I have gotten the chance to do some video with flash!

I am making a CD-rom with bits of video and am planning on making the entire project in flash.

- should I use Quicktime or FLV ?

I haven't got 2004 at the moment.. does that mean I can't use FLV's (I can download a trial version)...I am also going to make a website containing the video as well... I guess the same format question applies..

QUICKTIME or FLV ?

not too sure on the benefits or downfalls of either.. can you help me out?

.flv will not work with Flash MX, only 2004. If you videos are very large (more than 4 or 5 minutes) and larger in dimensions (more than 400x300) you will find your Flash video takes quite a bit of time to fully load from the CD.

If you are planning on going with QT, you'll be using either Director or Livestage Pro to create you projects. Loading times are also an issue, but you can use longer, higher quality, larger dimension tracks that load a bit quicker and playback better.

Either method can transfer to web delivery in some form, you'll want to use video .swfs for you Flash projects.

you'll want to use video swf's in your flash project
    Hi Wheels thanks for your reply..

Have done alot of searching since I posted and think I have got a handle on it now.. cheers for the "How to load a percentage of .swf before playback" you posted in the FAQ

To make a video swf.. I assume in MX 2004 I import the video and then just export as a swf... I can then use this like any other .swf as long as I use flash Player 7... correct?

My main issue is getting the correct video format from my editor...

Do I get them as .MOV or MPEG's and convert them on import?
    or do I ask for them as .FLV's?

Thanks!

You can use Flash to import and convert the video to a .swf if you like, but purchasing one of the 2-pass VBR compression software solutions is your best bet.

I like Sorenson or Flix, they're about the same quality. If your loading from CD - you may like the stitching feature in Sorenson, but it's harder to control stitched video without their custom controllers - which come with the software.

I would export your video at 30 fps, at the desired size or larger, have your pixels and aspect ratios in factors of 4 (320x240, 400x300, etc), export raw sound, and compress using anything from NTSC deinterlaced to Sorenson 1 for the codec.

You want to export your source with as little compression as possible, but I sometimes go with more compression if I have to transport the files on CD or FTP.

Make all your sound and video settings in the conversion program and run your frame per second at 15 or less in Flash. Keep your FPS in a factor of your source video, so for 30 fps you could use 15, 12, or 10. It's also helpful for syncronization to make your host movie in factors as well. I like 15 fps for video and 30 or 60 fps for my Flash files.
    Last edited by Wheels; 06-04-2004 at 01:21 AM.

I just saw that you say you have MX 2004, this has a slightly better import feature - but aftermarket programs are still better on converting to .flv or .swf.

If you are using 2004, you <b>can</b> use .flv's for CD or server.

cheers Wheels!

Stoked to finally get some video to play..

By the way... real nice internal QTVR of the 330i... fantastic detail.

Best of Luck!

The BMW was shot by Mark Lafavor, quite the lighting master. www.lafavor.com is his site, if you dig into the QTVR - automobiles section you'll find a 6 camera video pano (from The Hire series) that I did for him in Flash.

nice PANORAMA, Wheels!

man i just checked out the above link. That Panorama is AWESOME! I've seen a lot of very innovative widget-like stuff in Flash, but that one ranks pretty high! VERY Impressive, Wheels.
    <fp>

Thanks Bitblender!

The programming on it wasn't as bad as what we had to do to the video. We started with some really bad source and had to run it though AfterEffects and do some other tweeks to get it back up to snuf.

Hi wheels + others!

I have come a long way! Managed to build the interface and incorporate the video as .flv's ..
    looking good so far.. FLV's are definitely the way to go..

My source footage is PAL 25 fps...

I have been reading alot about flash video and 30 fps is mentioned a hell of alot... I am just after some advice..

Should I stick to the native frame rate of 25fps ( and 12.5 for my low spec machines)..

Or do I bump up the frame rate to 30fps and go with 15 for my low spec..?

Wainui

Go with NTSC format when you have the choice, you can't split the frames (25/2 = 12.5) of PAL export and maintain sound sync.

If you've seen the Ford 150 site - the video came over from the UK at 25 fps - the technical director on that piece told me that it was a total nightmare trying to get it to sync - he even pointed out a glitch they couldn't fix.

Needless to say they now use NTSC for Flash video.

Thanks wheels..

Although I thought the sound sync issue was only relevant for flash video swf's... I am going to use NetStream + FLV's.. now only the fun part left.. compress and testing ;(

m