A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fat kids = dumb parents

Fat kids = dumb parents

"Sixty-seven percent of the mothers and 47 percent of the fathers didn't realize that their child had a weight problem and saw their child as normal."
    http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/heal...out519358.html

Okay, maybe being a bit harsh about "dumb" parents, but certainly blind to the bleeding obvious.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    I'd say its more or less lazy parents than dumb ones. When you have these 180-200lbs 8 years olds wadling around your home, get off your ass and go out side with them. Play catch or go for a bike ride. Too many parents rely on tv to raise their children, then they act surprise when their kids have diabetes or some heart related illness. I'm glad my parents kicked me out of the house on sunny days when I was a kid.
    Last edited by pooon; 06-05-2004 at 10:31 AM.

I think it's dumber when people that don't have children make blanket statements.

simply stated, parents have to be active in a child's life. that includes getting them outside, enjoying the outdoors, and not making television their sole "babysitter" and "teacher". but until you have your own, you can't really say what kind of parent you'll be. maybe you'll be the pacifying type that gives your 3 year old child a supersize french fry and make them watch some mind-numbing show like the Teletubbies.

like stated above... I'll agree... more like lazy parents.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

The Commons Health Committee warned if parents continue to overindulge their increasingly greedy children that obese children could become the first generation to die before their parents.

"When a three-year-old girl who weighs 40 kilograms dies of heart failure brought on by obesity, you know her parents are guilty of gross child abuse."

"doctors tell of children so fat they need ventilators at night for sleep apnoea because they're "choking on their own fat".

"The arteries of some overweight children had thickened as much as those of heavy adult smokers."

"they're condemned to diabetes, premature puberty, gallstones, sleep apnoea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and ridiculously premature death."

three-year-old Anamarie Martinez-Regino, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, who weighed 50 kilograms, was removed, kicking and screaming, from her parents because they wouldn't control her weight and put in foster care.

sources..
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...641762817.html
    http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=603572004

fat kids=lazy kids

Back in the old days, fat people used the excuse that it was a gland problem. Took me years to figure out that the mouth is not a gland.

They may think it is normal... 60% of all the US population is overwieght- I'm not sure of the UK numbers but they are the highest in Europe. That would make a fat kid normal compared to his/her peers.

Likewise many parents or people at all realize how many calories and fat are in processed foods. One 12 ounce seving of suda has between 170-200 calories, and that is for the 12 ounce serving. Get a supersized drink and you now have a 32-64 Ounce serving or about 1/3 to 1/2 of your daily recomended calories if you are an adult.

I suppose I am amused by the some of the new diet crazes. I was in the store the other day looking at Bottled Teas and noticed Diet Teas. Tea, when unsweatened, has 0 calories and most infusions (Herbal Teas) have 3-4 calories. What I found in the stores were not unsweatened teas but rather Teas with Artificial sweatners in them and some of the diet teas still had High-Fructose Corn Syrup (Sugar) as an ingredient and thus had between 50-100 calories a serving.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    McDonalds is doing their part. They now serve apple slices and milk with their high fat meat.

If you want your kid to eat healthier, don't go to mcdonalds at all.

Originally posted by iaskwhy
    Back in the old days, fat people used the excuse that it was a gland problem. Took me years to figure out that the mouth is not a gland.
    For some it is a hyperactive thyroid gland but for the vast majority of the population, it is laziness/stress/lack of physical activity. I don't see how someone can't see these things as child abuse. It's horrible.
    The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

Really not many of the fast food joints have healthy foods. Even Fazoli's (Which serves pasta) isn't that healthy once you consider the portion, the sugar loaded soft-drink, and fat and calorie loaded greasy breadsticks that come for free with your food (Unlimited if you eat in).

There are really 2 problems with fast food, besides its not meant to be eaten everyday.

1. The portion size is to large. The resturants do this becuase that way you feel justified in paying the higher price where as it costs them little as much of the food served typically goes to waste. This is especially true of items like fries. In the case of softdrinks the cost is mostly in the cup and straw and not the soda (Soda costs between .03 - .05 per serving from a fountain).

2. They use high calorie high fat foods. Even the new McDonalald's salads aren't that healthy once you put the dressing on them... well even before then becuase of the meat and cheese servings.

Also McD's, Burger King, Hardee's, ECT is not the worst of the lot. Mexican food is the least healthy food you can get from a resturant followed by typically what people eat from Chinese Resturants. Subway also is unhealthy if you get something like Tuna Salad with Cheese on it.

That is not to say that you would fare any better at home. Most people use procesed-prepackaged foods when preparing foods at home. Most of these foods also have high fat high calorie content in them also. Typically as bad as the fast food joints.

"What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Ihoss
    How to solve fat kids:

Get a boat. If you have a boat, first of all the kids will get outside. If their young they will meet other kids, explore islands and stuff and loose some weight while building muscels and improving their balance. Then they will want to swim in the ocean and get a tan, and this will be a sychological reason to loose weight. Finaly they will meet girls who want healthy people. Tada

You are what you eat.

Originally posted by Ihoss
    ...and get a tan...
    and get cancer?

Originally posted by gerbick
    I think it's dumber when people that don't have children make blanket statements.

like stated above... I'll agree... more like lazy parents.
    So dumb, or lazy? So why is one a "dumb" blanket statement, and one not a "dumb" blanket statement????

Anyway, moving right along...

The reason I see it more than just a parent being lazy (in my humble opinion) is the fact that they don't seem to even recognise their kids are overweight and have potentially huge health problems. It's one thing to say, "Oh yes, I realise he's Little Johnny isn't really so little and has a weight problem, but I'm just too busy to do anything about it", and quite another to say there is no problem at all.

The fact are that health problems associated with being overwieght is the second highest avoidable killer in the US, Australia, and I think the UK too. And it's very likely that in most cases the problem started in childhood. And this survey to me points the finger very definitely at parents. It isn't the entire cause, but certainly seems to be the major one, and one that needs to be addressed.

And PAlexC, that principle should become a national heor if it's true. But what's the betting we never see anything like that become normal throughout schools? Especially scary was an article I read about McDonalds supplying school canteen food - is that true??
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

originally posted by theoriginalflashdavo
    So dumb, or lazy? So why is one a "dumb" blanket statement, and one not a "dumb" blanket statement????
    look man. get whatever is up your ass out immediately.

yeah, I called anybody that makes blanket statements dumb. I also stated why I stated why the parents could be considered lazy. they feed their children ready made food - too lazy to cook for them, or teach the children how to cook for themselves - and they don't endorse them to seek exercise outside - god forbids it means the parents have to dislodge themselves from whatever they're doing to oversee their children; therefore they plop them in front of the ultimate babysitter, the television.

anymore blanket statements, and I'll call that person dumb. making a blanket statement without really backing it up is making you look more and more like the ass you hope to be.

sheesh. get over yourself. you are nobody, posting anonymous, on a board, where people could care less if you or I live or die. get over yourself.

Banned by GMF ™
    FK´s Banning Machine

bleh.. health hippies...

Here comes Gerb's

Love that Domo. LOL

Originally posted by gerbick
    look man. get whatever is up your ass out immediately.

yeah, I called anybody that makes blanket statements dumb. I also stated why I stated why the parents could be considered lazy. they feed their children ready made food - too lazy to cook for them, or teach the children how to cook for themselves - and they don't endorse them to seek exercise outside - god forbids it means the parents have to dislodge themselves from whatever they're doing to oversee their children; therefore they plop them in front of the ultimate babysitter, the television.

anymore blanket statements, and I'll call that person dumb. making a blanket statement without really backing it up is making you look more and more like the ass you hope to be.

sheesh. get over yourself. you are nobody, posting anonymous, on a board, where people could care less if you or I live or die. get over yourself.
    You're funny. You're the one calling me names, and then you tell me to get over myself??

Hilarious...

And anonymous? If you actually looked, you'd see I'm far less anonymous than most others around this place... including yourself. That's the thing with accusing people of things, you need to be sure it can be backed up.

Anyway, outa here, apologies for attempting any kind of discussion on a discussion board. As per usual the personal attacks seem to come out and then it's "see you later discussion!"

And Gerbs, you seem to have such a problem with all my posts no matter how little they have to do with you, then go choose the "ignore" option. I tried to do it for you ages ago just to make things nice and peaceful for everyone else in here, but unfortunately it seems I can't do it for mods. So do it and we'll both be happier it seems, and I'm sure everyone else who has to read this crap will be too.
    Last edited by TheOriginalFlashDavo; 06-06-2004 at 02:37 AM.

Funny thing is I come in to the CL and guess whats on the TV??

"Heavyweights"......man some fat kids on this one....

PS Davo....if you go out have a beer for me...

Tony