A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: controlling flv playback with custom buttons

controlling flv playback with custom buttons

I need to use video in a project. Before the flv format came along I would import external swf's containing the video into my projects and I made my own controls for pausing, stopping, rewind & fast forward that all worked fine.
    Now I am considering using the flv format but since it is a little different I am wondering how to deal with the controls. It seems easy to use the pre-existing flash components but I want to use my own buttons. From what I've heard it is a very difficult and frustrating process trying to re-skin the flash components.
    So basically if I want to design and use my own video controls is it better to import swf's over flv's?

I can't imagine why Macromedia would make it difficult to make your own buttons to control the playback of flv's (when not using the flash components), but I can't seem to find any tutorials on it. Do you just use the same type of coding you would use for a swf?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try using this FLV Stream Control component. You can hide the control bar then create your own buttons that fire one of the following functions:
    Code:
    myPlayer.playVideo();
    myPlayer.pauseVideo();
    myPlayer.rewindVideo();
    where myPlayer is an instance of the component.

looks like what i need, I'll check it out. Thanks for the help!

Is there...

Is there a free solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Joe

FYI

Just want to let who ever is interested know...
    I purchased this component and it worked like a treat and very easy to implement. Not to mention it is much slicker then the Macromedia Media components and is customizable to a certain extent.

I'd recommend anyone who doesn't want to create their own controls to take a look at this one. Dene was also very helpful with any questions I had.

I second that. I bought the control very happy with it as well.

Regards
    Steve

I purchased this component also from Dene. Very easily to use and implement. I recommend this to anyone who wants something else aside from Macromedia's components.

RIDER
    I played with the components available in flash but they were too bulky in size. So I went and bought it too from Dene....yes, I'm a sucker but I have to admit that it is a great component and if you are not too good in actionscripting this is a Gem.

So 3 full days of learning about video I can't wait to start showing off
    take it or leave it

Media Services

Re: Is there...

Originally posted by joejubee
    Is there a free solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Joe

yes you can do it with Video object in flash usin NetStream classes. Works exactly same way and it's free

But if you don't have clue about actionscript or want to have playhead control ability, then Denes component is a good solution.

You can also use Macromedia Media Playback component or Proxus FLV Player

whatever will suit your needs
    Last edited by PROXUS; 08-19-2004 at 11:46 AM.