A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating a sliding Menu:(

Creating a sliding Menu:(

Hello,
    Im fairly new to using actionscript, but i am slowly grasping all tha crap u have to know in general to make things work...

I have a small dilema: Im currently creating a very simple movie in FLASH 5 for my music which is primarely buttons with some text and url links if i can ever figure all that out!

I have tha basic stuff already done like tha background and the text that will need to become buttons...

What i want to do is make my logo a ROLLOVER BUTTON - so that when u roll over the rest of my menu SLIDES IN FROM OUTSIDE OF THE LEFTHAND STAGE...I saw someones on here do it before and thought it looked cool, but theirs was v6 so i couldnt view it.

[logo] - rollover

-------------->text button {I want these to slide in like that.}
    ---------->text button
    ------>text button
    --->text button

I attached the fla. file to make it more accessible for someone with an answer to see what my problem is.

Thanks for tha help! -STEEZ
    Attached Files Attached Files

ANYBODY?

My idea is quite similar to this example, but not in the y direction, but instead in the x direction, and i also want each text menu to slide in one after each other from outside of the movie on the left.

http://www.webwasp.co.uk/tutorials/b01-sliding-menus/images/flash-5/index.php

this is the one i couldnt look @ since its v6 but i really want to make it exactly like:

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Interfaces/Menus/Swing_Me-Niall-8385/index.php

You Make Me Want To La La
    well here the file you couldn't open, I left the AS1 format and added a AS2 format, so you should now be able to view one of the 2.

Sorry, couldnt open either

Is it to involved to break this one down and explain the steps of how to create a menu like that one?

Im using FLASH 5, so it says unexpected file format...

You Make Me Want To La La
    hm, I thought MX worked with all older versions, I don't have a clue on how to make it so I can't help, you might want to e-mail the creator of it, see if he'll help you at all

****!....Well, I thought it might be simpler than it looked!?....Thanks for trying.

OK, ive updated my movie and have inputed some script to move tha text buttons into tha movie, but something i wrote in the script is wrong?...Can anyone help?....Instead of tha text coming in, the entire movie slides over...I havent made the rollover button yet since tha script is still messed up.

Could it be becuase i was supposed to make the actions in another scene???....Im really lost on this one.

Heres tha updated file. Take a look at the script and tell me whats wrong?

steez

Hi Steezo:

If the entire movie is moving, you are targeting the main timeline properties (e.g., _root._x=100. If you want to move a clip, you have to target the clips _x/_y properties (e.g., _root.myClip._x=100.

-james
    "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, so that whosoever believed in him would not perish, but have everlasting life."

Image Popup Scripting Engine | Thumb PopUp Script | HTML Anchors w/Flash | Popup Script Generator | Seq. Img Swap | Img Swap | Browser Shake | Rand. Img Swap | Inline Img Swap | Screen Res. PopUp | Screen Resolution Popup Script