A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: digital camera question...

digital camera question...

i have a Nikon Coolpix 5700. i want to buy a fat zoom lens to attach to my camera. when i google for a zoom lens all i get are these puny little attachments.

can someone point me in the right direction? are there even really large zoom lens attachments made for digital cameras? can i use a zoom lens that is made for a non-digital camera if a have the right connecter?

thanks

you'll only be able to get addons for compact style cameras I think, the mount won't be strong enough to hold a big fat zoom lens.

I think this is the biggest you can get. But you'll need a tripod!

If you want SLR lenses save up for one of these

the nice affordable D70.

so why is that with compact cameras?

is the SLR camera you recommended digital or no?

yah, it's the newest digital SLR from nikon, designed to compete with the popular canon rebel. Pics from any SLR will be waaay better than pics from digital compacts just because of the larger CCD sensors and better quality components, but you pay for it of course.

Compact cameras were never really designed to have things added to them, SLRs are design specifically to mix and match lenses. Manufacturers assume that if you buy a compact you're only really going to be adding accessories, the whole point of the compacts is their all-in-one design.

There are some cameras that are crossing the gap emerging onto the market, compact features but with proper lenses, but I think the price of digital SLRs is coming down to the point where you might as well buy one if you're really serious about your photography.

I own a canon G5 btw.

What's your take on the 4MP Elph's?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I got one, PAlexC... they're great if you're going to be up close to your target; however the optical zoom is like only 3x, and it's all digital zoom from there, and it's not exactly the best thing.

I'd look at your usages before you go Digital Elph/iXus.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Hmm, I want kind of a 'whip it out' camera, I might not always be close to what I want to shoot. But quality, portablity, and sex appeal are key too.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

just a comment about pricing. i know the nikon coolpix 5700 i have was bought for $1000. the new D70 is the exact same price. i think im going to ebay the 5700 and buy the D70.

Originally posted by rysolag
    just a comment about pricing. i know the nikon coolpix 5700 i have was bought for $1000. the new D70 is the exact same price. i think im going to ebay the 5700 and buy the D70.
    Make sure you know what you want from the camera, I bought the G5 specifically because I wanted a 'street' camera, a modern equivalent to the traditional range finders. The swivel screen on the G5 (I think yours has one too) is ideal for taking shots quickly and discretely.

A digital SLR, in my experience, won't let you take a picture using the LCD screen, you need to use the view finder, which is the whole point of an SLR (single lens reflex). The LCDS on D-SLRs are used for reviewing and menu stuff. The quality of the pics from the SLR will be greater though, and you'll be able to use standard lenses for that mount, etc, but it might be harder to be discreet when you're taking shots.

so weigh up the pros and cons before you make the choice.

i didn't want a "whip it out camera" they just don't have the zoom factor and the hogh quality that i wanted, I ended up buying the Sony DSC f828 and I love it, you can get many lens attachments(filters) and 1 wide angle lens atttachment. 58 mm and its a great camera, love those macro shots at 8 megapixal.

here is a great place for lens, filters etc

They have a Inkleys locally here that is this site

http://ritzcamera.com/

PCRIDE