A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: AIF vs. FK :: Convo Thread

so ...

1) we need a captain (I'd volunteer, but I know I'll be extremely busy over the next few months working on my portfolio site. I can help out though.)

2) we need to determine partners

and gerbick, if you're end up participating I'd be more than happy to partner up with you ... but let's see who else joins the fk team first.

I never use filters, besides blur, but I do use layering effects and such, and I'm not interested in participating in a battle with such a strict feeling to it....I do this for fun, and that's just not...count me out.

ondraedan, what are you talking about when you say layering effects? The ability to apply drop shadows, inner shadows, glows, etc. in a few easy steps? Most of that stuff can easily be accomplished with selections, modification to said selections (feather, expand, contract, etc), and the fill command or tool.

If we're talking about the layer blending modes, I think that's still fair game. And I hope adjustment layers are as well.

To be quite honest, I don't know how you could tell if you used one of these effects vs. doing it the "long way" in the first place.
    Last edited by clicky2; 06-21-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Yeah, I know my way around photoshop and like I said I think filters are just nasty and I don't use em...My problem is not with the filter ban, it's the attitude behind it. Battles are supposed to be in the spirit of fun and learning, setting restrictions changes the name of the game from fun to competitive. Not that I'm opposed to a bit of friendly competition, but for example, our match with DQS was great because we had some fun trash talking, but it was all about fun and everyone knew it. Setting a pointless rule like no filters is just gonna cause suspicion on both sides and it will change the feeling of the battle.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    i'm not against filters, and have no problem with a filter ban other than...

clicky2 - To be quite honest, I don't know how you could tell if you used one of these effects vs. doing it the "long way" in the first place.
    ok sometimes it obvious, others not so, and yes i agree it could end in accusations, i think the filter rule should be dropped, less hassle, less governing, and more fun, so lets get this sorted and the battle started
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Agreed. It will end up in needless finger pointing IMHO. Even if we were posting the psd files I don't see any way you can enforce such a rule ... aside from recognizing the use of obvious filters like distort, brush strokes, render, stylize, texture, etc.

well whilst you guys are getting your team together im battling my own team member in a no filter battle here

beat the hell out of n0rty for me

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Been awhile since ive posted here (been kinda a lurker learning on other boards as of late... Heck, I barely recognise half the team !!!!), but I'd be happy to play if the need for more players still exists...

I've just completed a pretty fun battle with Ray on AiF that was completely NO FILTERS. and we came up with some great stuff.

There was no - poo to you because you look like you used a filter.

It was just something to consider while making the image, not posting it.

While i didnt use any layer styles or transparency dithers etc, i dont term them as Filters. Anything under the FILTER tab is.

I think the rule was not to make people agro, but to make the designer work a little harder, to enjoy the final outcome more because you've had to think a little more (if you use filters a bit too much).

I was really statisfied with the outcome of my little battle with Ray.
    And i hope that everyone who takes part in this AiF vs. Fk will to.

I like the rule. I also like the idea of pairing up with someone.
    You've got to look at things differently sometimes and surprise yourself

<3
    i don't mind doing returns without any filters

Option 1:
    The no-filter rule has been put forward on the AIF side. Since this is a battle between two teams, i believe that the filter rule should be a choice. instead of going from one extreme to the next (don't use any filters or drop the rule), wouldn't it be better if we just go on the middle ground?

Option 2:
    the FK team should then just fully go with the set rules by AIF. I mean, so far, we've agreed with the number of team members, volley times, how it's going to work with the pairs etc, why not the filters as well? It's AIF who asked us to battle and the impression that I'm getting is that we have accepted.

Ja, just trying to see a way to this.. :P
    Last edited by Saint Benedetta; 06-24-2004 at 03:19 AM.

I agree SB ... we need to find some middle ground on this. I honestly don't think the filter thing is much of an issue anymore, so leave it as more of a guideline, something to simply think about when you're creating an image, and let's get this thing started.

We're partnering up on this anyway, so let's use that to help those that might tend to use a tad too many filters ... simply pair them up with someone that doesn't. Who knows, maybe someone could learn a thing or two in the end.

so who the heck is going to be captain??? Anyone, anyone ... taking nominations
    Last edited by clicky2; 06-24-2004 at 09:26 AM.

you're on the ball there clicky!

can someone captain the FK team already so we can get this started??

im going to come up with the pairs on the AIF team by the start of next week.

then we'll have a little practice session, then hopefully we'll hava battle organized by then.

Sounds good to me.

Tell you what, I'll take up duty as a temporary captain (if that's okay with everyone) to at least get everyone organized. If you're still interested please send me a pm asap. I'll then post an updated rouster.

I'm thinking for partners I might have everyone pm me their top 3 choices AFTER the final team rouster is posted. Then I'll try to mach everyone up based on experience, style, etc. For instance maybe a less experienced battler with someone who's been around for a while. Someone who has more of a busy style with someone who's very minimalistic in their approach. Sound good?

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    sounds good here

so lets get this thing rolling... I'm gagging for a battle

o and for the books, i don't mind who I'm teamed up with as it the participation that counts blah blah...

Derek
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

sweet, so you want us to PM you clicky if we are still interested?

cause thats what i did
    Last edited by skate342; 06-24-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Yep ... just send me a pm so we don't clutter up this thread any more than it already is.

Thanks,

Click

and skate ... I did receive yours. Thanks

good on you clicky. taking those reins!!

pm coming your way!!

<3
    "let's get this party started!"

*waits for someone to start a warm-up thread*
    Last edited by Saint Benedetta; 06-25-2004 at 04:36 AM.

Sounds to me like this is going to happen pretty soon, which is good I've been sitting out of battles for a little.
    So can someone ease my mind and make a list of partners . If we are having trouble we should just do a random thing, I dont know who the captain is because I just got on FK since last week and havent read this entire thread so if there is a captain a final outline of whats happening would be pretty useful.

Also a new thread for the battle so we can get started