A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Singularly Unimpressed

Hybrid View

As part of my companies design services, I have been selling banner ads, created with Swish, on eBay. I spend a fair amount of time on each 468 X 60 banner, my price---$10.00, inclusive. I realize some of my collegues may moan, but I cannot in all good conscience charge more for something that takes me mere minutes to create (Bravo Swish!)
    My problem is-- On my auctions I showcase several simple banners. I have been alerted that another eBay user is using MY Swish banners and MY auction copy to promote their auctions. This is very distressing, I was under the impression that .SWF files could not be "copied" like gifs or jpgs, yet this persons auctions have a completely different code. How was this done?

......reading my post, I should clarify--when I said "my companies design services", I meant MINE-- as in one-man-show LOL-- damn that looked so *corporate* in print! )

I like your idea about making money.

You making any?? I wonder if you could just report this other user to ebay. As far as protecting a swf as far as I know there isnt any way. Flash has some sort of protection on in, but there are other products that will allow you to circumvent the protection. I dont think that swish has any such protection within it, but Im realy not sure. If you are using jpg or gif images its only a matter of image capturing directly from the computer then tranfering those images right back into swish and poof once they copy your actions they have a banner just like yours. It just isnt possible to protect them. ~Jer~

Re: I like your idea about making money.

Hi Jerry, thanx for the info Am I making money? Wellll I'd have to say yes. Ebay no longer allow direct ads of any kind in auctions, other than *their* affiliates e.g. Billpoint etc., but in my auctions I refer the surfer to the "ME" page--- on that page they find all the info as to the custom banner ads, and also a link and text ad to my web design services, which is the "gist" of it all. I generally run one "dutch" auction per week, 10 banners, I average 2 sales @ $10 each, cost to run a dutch is $2, so thats say $18 a week US (or $76,056 Canadian LOL)...I can do a banner in scant minutes...BUT--- my server stats indicate that since running these banner auctions, "hits" on my site are up a full 600%-- you can't buy that kind of advertising for $2 a week anywhere online or off! This translates to jobs jobs jobs.... plus the more banners I get the more *examples* I can put in my auctions, clients don't mind because they are fully interactive and "clickable" links, bringing THEM traffic too..... things were cool until I found the IDENTICAL banners and copy on someone elses auctions grrrrrrrrr....

Maybe this will help

Relay,
    maybe you should use a javascript or applet so people cant view your page-source. It's easy to steal a swf-file when you have access to it.
    Ofcourse java isn't 100% secure but it is a small obstacle to take and hopefully this "thief" is to lazy to find out

Hope this helps

Edwin

**edited: had to kil some typos **

Relay, would you mind posting the URL to your "ME" site in this forum . . . I'd be happy to browse through your site . . . K, Bye

Peaces
    Cadence
    http://www.purifiedproductions.com

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

I understand your annoyance

Can you not approach the other person and ask for an explaination? I think you have intellectual property rights here. Could you not complain the the other persons ISP?

The swf file might not be the same, but the legal arguement is based around 'if it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, wags it's tail like a dog, it's a dog!'

I'm sure if this helps or not.

Re: Maybe this will help

Ones your banners is displayed on this monitor, the swf is also in the Windows Temp directory... So I think there is nothing you can do about that.

Possibly in the tempory internet file??

Maybe, it's in the temporary internet file?? hmm let me see..

Here Check this out..

Sorry if this is some one else's sig..

http://www.svtperformance.com/zor1t.htm but it shows that if you just look in you temporary internet files.. You can get your swf..

LOL!

Yay! Free advertising!

I am truly honored!

(this is especially wierd for me because i NEVER read ANYTHING in the SWISH forum, and i have NO IDEA why I read this one all the way through to it's somewhat dramatic and surprising conclusion! I should play the lotto today! )

hmmmm 10 dollars for a ad banner does seem very cheap but I guess if you can still pay the Bills I feel sorry for those that are trying to make a living and you are making it hard for them...........

LOL Jimmy..

Hahahaha.. Just proving a point.. LOL.. I think i might try to take a chunk out of this guys business.. j/k.. But that is a good idea though.. Ebay is a huge community and probably would get your website alot of hits!!

Re: I understand your annoyance

Originally posted by almark
    [B]Can you not approach the other person and ask for an explaination? I think you have intellectual property rights here. Could you not complain the the other persons ISP?
    HI

Are you sure they are stealing the banners?. not just linking to the url?, thats what most ebays`ers do .
    now why not insert a water mark or a small text line in a corner. " banner(c)you@HERE.COM.

I Assume you banners have hyper links in them, are you addeding them ad code or are they inserted into the SWI file?. Just inset them in the swi file so if some hyperlinks, to your banner they also get your links..

if you need help protecting your source code just ask

cheers

Jimmy is a riot.

No- there is no way to keep people from stealing your SWF's. Even if you right a script so that it won't cache and a no right click script. They can always save the webpage and then view source. Take your SWF's URL and write a one line link with notepad and then right click it and choose save as.

Anything you put up on the web can be swiped. Keep that in mind. Now you can always sue them. The bad thing is you will have to show damages in court. It might not be worth your lawyers fee to sue them though. A good solution is to design your sig on your samples. That way the stolen SWF's will have your name on it.