A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Chat? Moveable characters??

Chat? Moveable characters??

I would like to make a chat applet that is simply this.. You start a charachter and you can customize him (I hope) Then you can walk around and chat im also hoping to have customizable rooms like www.*****hotel.ca

Hi,

first of all: good luck to you, cause this means a lot of work. I have done something like this as a prototype. So I can give you some hints what you should look for.

Communication: For that (to do that effeciently) you need a server like the Flash Communication server or another server which broadcasts all the infos to the users. I used (it's a while ago) the Java Server Fortress from Xadra (www.xadra.com) which is specially build for something like this.

World: To do something like this i would advise you to have a look in the game section of the flashkit board. There you'll find many freaks who are specialized on building games in the isometric view (= semi 3D). And a chat like this is nothing else than a game in iso-view with backend communication capabilities.

Have fun with bulding this,

Garfield

Well i wanna get the coding done first so
    ill just make the characters like BLobs
    and get the chat runing

Thats in my opinion more simple than doing the game-part. It depends on what you are going to do with you chat, but Flash Communication Server would be perfect for this (xadra fortress too), but also expensive and you'll need your own server or a good hosting provider like mediatemple.net.

Garfield