A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Inspiration needed

Inspiration needed

Hi,
    I'm study a lot, for one or two months with actionscript code, graphics, and music ( I'm a big entusiast for learn and make games, because I'm not are very skilled yet).
    I'm are ready now for make a simple game (not a MMRPG or similar, of course!) but I need a lot of inspiration and/or ideas,
    Can you give me one idea, suggestion or a web site adress with a lot of fun or crazy stuff ?

thanks in advice

I don't know how old you are, but when I was growing up, my neighbor had an ATARI and my other neighbor had a TEXAS INSTRUMENTS (we were too poor), those games were the best. Try to recreate simple (but fun to play) games, go for game play and basic functionality at first. Ferry Halim's work has been quite inspirational for many.

I like playing old games on emulators.

... very nice sample kendude!

(i'm 15yr old now, but started with flash at 13 but yes I know a lot of good old games but not very)

Another thing I've seen games with excellent graphics and nice music, etc, but the game concept it's bad, and sometimes I've seen games with very simple graphics and details, but the game are incledible very addictive.
    Hmm
    What are the things what can make a game fun and addictive? (because it's very important thing I need consider)

thanks again
    Last edited by al hack; 07-01-2004 at 07:12 PM.

Ihoss
    What most people do wrong is that they set out to make a game based on an amazing engien with lots of graphics and sound but in the mess of it all they forget the gameplay. Start with gameplay. What kind of feeling do you want hte player to get when he plays your game? A racing game should be fast. A sneaky spy game (splinter cell) should be slow and you should be able to feel your heart beat. A tank game should be all about explosions and you should get that feeling like nothing can stop you but you can blow everything up.

I have one very good example: 2 Kingdoms. If you have played it you will remember the way you felt in the mines. Uptil then things were mostly ok. If there was a wolf then you could kill it or run off the map. In the mines however there were a million dwarfs coming after you and you had noway of killing them all. And if you ran out of the map you met another million dwarfs. In the end it was a dash from one door to the next and it was the only game that I have felt really scared. I was actually frightened when I played it. It was like a movie where the hero was running from a hundred zombies or something and you couldn't see an escape, but you knew there was one somewhere if he ran fast enough and long enough.

As for games: We need a good break-out game now. Something with more power-ups than larger/smaller paddles. So, focus on the emotions you want to pass on to the player. Games are like art: you, as the artist, has an emotion you want to pass on to the player. If you do it right then you have made good art.

I agree with you Ihoss:

What most people do wrong is that they set out to make a game based on an amazing engien with lots of graphics and sound but in the mess of it all they forget the gameplay.

Games are like art: you, as the artist, has an emotion you want to pass on to the player. If you do it right then you have made good art.
    good point, so, I'll make a game with dedication and look in the simple details for make the sense of I want pass the player and,
    I think if someone make a existing game like tetris, pong, or similar, but add new things or changing the concept can be very adictive or fun.

Actually I don't have big skills on coding, but the graphics, concept, and another things can compensate a lot, anyway I try my best shot, and work with the design of the game...

In the next weeks, or months I'll hope show the game...
    (now thinking for a good concept....)

Ihoss
    remember this game? Escape!

It has no sounds, no graphics, no story, no advanced coding but it is still an entertaining game

Yeah, it's that of I speak, but maybe it's too simple, anyway it's fun.
    But I'll want make more "complex" game of course not very very simple you know?

It's funny you point to that game IHOSS, the pirahna game is a dressed up version of that.

It may take you 5 or maybe even 10 games before you feel comfortable with what you are doing. Each one, you'll get better at writing the code. Trust me.

I was also inspired by the earlier Sierra games, that made me write my first game. When I look back, I say hey....that was my ability at the time. I only wrote it last spring. My First Game

Yeah Kendude.
    I've started with the grapichs two years ago with stickman and the difference of the graphics now are "good". I expect the same with the code and the games, but I need be constant.

Ps:What you think about my last art? (made in january)

It's a little parody of the famous game, but the characters are my teachers.... It's a little unfinished proyect we maded witth my class mates
    Last edited by al hack; 07-01-2004 at 09:04 PM.

Your art is pretty good, but I have a feeling you drew it (the men) in Flash. I'll bet you could do an even better job in Illustrator or Freehand. It seems like you are naturally an artist, you say you are 15. Keep practicing and you'll be nasty in a few more years. Your work is good, but it can always be better. I found Flash too clumsy to draw well in. You should make that game before you and your amigos are out of school, I am sure your classmates will get a kick out of it. Can you tell us about your idea for that art/game?

Ok, I have drew in flash, the concept it's very simple, one day in my ex-school called "Escandon" the teachers are convocated on one big tournament, but... the teachers don't expect that tournament consist in fights, only 8 teachers are playable two on the start, and you will unlock the anothers when you finish or use password, each teacher have one screen with the name and art background and actual level, in the last levels you fight versus the prefect and you can destroy the truck of the director and when you finish of destroy, plays and animation of the angry director or the school and the next you fight with the director and he have a three phases or levels.

Check some screens of the game:

but sadly, the main coder abandoned the project and... this be one of my unfinished projects, looks good huh?

let me know what you think about my unfinished project, another ideas or something similar?
    Last edited by al hack; 07-02-2004 at 09:18 AM.

back on the topic of inspiration, I look for inspriation in things I like, some of which I dont see enough games for. like I love stealthy games, so I want to make one of those, and Im obsessed with samurais and japanese history, so Im making a sidescrolling hack and slash based on such (not unlike the one that was floating around here a while back)
    Your a toaster and thats all youll ever be!

Good point, but one of my problems, sometimes I have a idea for make a game based in a local event of my city/country, but the problem is not all the people of the world can understand the concept because it's unknow and can't pass the sense to the people I want, and this is may be irritating.

for example the game of the teachers, not all undertand exactly how I want

I think that as long as the game is addicting and fun enough, no one will really care about a story, or whether it all makes sense or not. Just look at Mario ... that makes no sense at all, but many people love it. I'd go with Ihoss's advice, it makes good sense.

Your unfinished game looks like it would be pretty sweet
    - St. Nick