A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Re: need preloader for .EXE files?

Re: preloader for .EXE files?

Hello,

I'm using MX (not MX 2004) in developing a CD project. I'm using components to speed up development.

I know about the problem of components loading before the preloader if exported to first frame and that a workaround is to create a separate "container" movie for just the preloader which then calls the main movie.

Do I need to create such a preloader for a CD that will be played from an .EXE file? I burned a test CD and when playing from the CD drive, I noticed there is a brief blank area while one of the components loads. I want to get rid of that delay.

The CD is divided up into multiple .SWFs that are called into Levels by the main movie. Do preloaders only work for streaming over http://? If so, how can I get rid of the component load delay when playing from an .EXE file on a CD ROM drive?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by markwalkman; 07-02-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Preloaders don't work on cds. Preloader code checks if the file is downloaded and since the file is complete on the cd, it won't stop and wait. Pauses in cd loading happen when the cd is loading a movie into memory. The only way to reduce or eliminate those pauses is to reduce the file sizes of the movies being loaded.