A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Link Help

Link Help

I have a problem with a link in my Flask mx program. Im creating a website and for some reason the "resume" link is not working. I have "home" scene and a "resume" scene. Nows heres the problem.

For some odd reason when I click on the resume link it takes me to the home scene. I checked my dynamic text on the resume scene and the coding and action scripts are correct. On the reume scene it is suppose to pick up text from a saved notepad called resumetext. At the top of each page it also lets the user know where you are. So if your on the home page it says "welcome" and if your on the resume page it says "resume". Now I know for fact that there is nothing wrong with the scene because I used the keyboard shortcut ctrl+alt+enter to load the "resume" scene only. The scene comes up how its suppose to. Its perfect. Now when I run the whole movie or site and click the resume link it takes me to the home page. This cannot be because the code clearly says to go to and stop on resume. I tried fixing it by removing the resume button from the library, creating it again, and adding it on all scenes. Even after doing all of this it still takes me to the wrong scene.

I have no idea why its doing this. Maybe its something wrong with flash? Please let me know if you have any ideas whats wrong. And if you need more info please let me know.

sounds like some thing is labled wrong.
    can you post the fla?

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

I tired sending it about 10 times already and the site keeps giving me "cannot find server" after clicking the submit button. Ill keep trying until im able to get it on. Or would you perfer me to email it to you if thats possible. Its only 844 kb.

Banned
    Are these buttons on the main timeline? Are you targeting the first frame of the resume scene through a frame label or targeting the scene name?
    Why don't you just label the first frame of your resume scene with a label such as my_resume, add _root or _level0 to your path, and target that labeled frame?
    code:

on(release){
    _level0.gotoAndStop("my_resume");
    }

As for attaching a .fla here, 844kbs is probably too large. Try zipping it up, although even zipped up there's a maximun size, you can attach.

Thanks for the winzip tip. Your right, even though I zipped up the file its still too large. It only dropped it doen to a size 578. My link is on the main timeline and it is linking up the scene name. I thought about doing what you said about a label on the frame but all of text links are on that same frame. Even though its nothing wrong with any of the links on that frame will adding a name to that frame miss up the other links or not?

Banned
    What do you mean by ...all of text links are on that same frame... Is that first frame already labeled, or do you just mean you have other actionscript on that frame. If it's not labeled, labeling the frame shouldn't have any effect on other actionscript.

On one keyframe I have more than one button. Each button has its own own action scripts that lets them go to another page. But theres no label on that keyframe. All of the action scripts are working fine except for the resume one. This is how they are written.

on (release) {
    gotoAndStop("home", 1);
    }

on (release) {
    gotoAndStop("resume", 1);
    }
    on (release) {
    gotoAndStop("bio", 1);
    }

and so on. That only three links. Each are a button, with its own action script, on the same keyframe.

Banned
    This has nothing to do with the keyframe on which are your buttons...
    So you have 3 scenes... What I'm saying is label the first frame of your "resume" scene with the label my_resume. Add _root or _level0 to your path, on the buttons' scripts, to target the main timeline, and target this labeled frame rather than the scene name...
    code:

on (release) {
    _level0.gotoAndStop("my_resume");
    }