A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Preloading Problem

Banned
    Hey! Think I got your preloader working (although I don't like that code very much...) but now wondering if you want me to fix something else that doesn't really work in this movie...

Based on this link... http://www.geocities.com/student_designer/gallery2.html

Notice that if you start by playing frame by frame, and then decide to play the movie after a few screenshots, have you noticed that the movie will not play from the beginning, but play from somewhere (because it's constantly looping) within the movie... Do you want it to be like this, or if you hit the play movie button, do you want it to play from the beginning?

I don't really understand what you mean, but I'd like you to fix it for me if you don't mind. I learned flash by myself, I believe I didn't do it the right way, I just try to make it work ......

I got it, I never noticed that till you mentioned it.
    the reason I decided to put playmovie in thr front is I thought that MC is bigger than framebyframe MC, so it's better to put in the front and it'd be loaded faster....guess it's not what I thought....:P

Banned
    Start the movie, and hit frame by frame. Hit the next button to view 3 screenshots, now hit the play movie button... Notice where the movie starts playing, not from the beginning? Is that how you want it, or should it normally start at the beginning, no matter how many screenshots you've looked at?

Now check this, to see if it works for you?

And Hell (if you're still around), yes this is one single .swf (no loading from another movie), linked directly to a .swf (not through an html), and with the Load order changed (although it doesn't really matter in this case!) to Bottom up rather than Top down.

http://blake.prohosting.com/~tektips/gallery2.swf

Make sure your caches are emptied before testing and re-testing this. Did add some code to hide the preloader on a Refresh or re-load.

Banned
    Ok! So would you liked this fixed also?

I finally saw the preloader!!!!!
    Thank you,thank you~~

and please fix that for me,too

Banned
    I'll mail you the corrected .fla when I manage to fix the other problem. But it would probably work with the code as you had it, if you simply uncheck the "export for actionscript" box on the snapshots movie clip. That's setting is not necessary in your case, but might be in other situations, and then loading your movie through another preloader only movie, might be the best workaround.

I do suggest that you embed this movie in an html (the usual pratice) to have better control over the display of the movie, and certainely not only because if you didn't, it would keep the preloader from showing up. That's a myth that has only survived in Hell!

Thank you for your time and suggestions!!!
    Can you tell me when should and shouldn't I export MC?

Banned
    Basically only when you need to attach these movie clips to the stage from the Library... If that really means something to you.

Does it mean that I should only use it when I use a function to call the MC instead of putting in on stage?

Banned
    Yep!