A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: looping an flv

looping an flv

I made this flv movie that I use as a banner for my site but I would like it to loop... So far, it just stops when the flv movie is done playing.

Any idea?

Can you post the FLA?
    I need to know your setup first.

Originally posted by Dene
    Can you post the FLA?
    I need to know your setup first.
    fla file

Thanks!

Hi I've tried 2 methods for looping an FLV. The first was with the Media component and the second was using my own FLV Stream Control component.

The first method with the Media component involved the following code:
    Code:
    myListener = new Object();
    myListener.complete = function()
    {
    	waterClip.water.play(0);
    }
    waterClip.water.addEventListener("complete", myListener);
    where 'water' is your component instance within the movieclip waterClip. That code creates a listener object to listen out for the component's "complete" event.

This works although there is a small pause before the video loops back to the start. This obviously wont do.

I have a attached the FLA for the above and a second FLA which solves the pausing problem.

For the loop to work seamlessly in the second component you need to create the FLV with more keyframes. So when you re export it and set the option 'Frames per Keyframe' to about 20.

Then use the tool at www.swfx.org/flv-duration on the FLV to make it compatible with the component. To hide the control bar on the component select the parameter from the Properties panel 'Hide Controlbar'.

See the FLA attached, waterLoop.fla

Best,
    Dene.

Hi I've tried 2 methods for looping an FLV. The first was with the Media component and the second was using my own FLV Stream Control component.

The first method with the Media component involved the following code:
    Code:
    myListener.complete = function()
    {
    	waterClip.water.play(0);
    }
    waterClip.water.addEventListener("complete", myListener);
    where 'water' is your component instance within the movieclip given an instance name of 'waterClip'. That code creates a listener object to listen out for the component's "complete" event.

This works although there is a small pause before the video loops back to the start. This obviously wont do.

Method 2 (FLA attached):

For the loop to work seamlessly in the second component you need to create the FLV with more keyframes. So when you re export it and set the option 'Frames per Keyframe' to about 20.

Then use the tool at www.swfx.org/flv-duration on the FLV to make it compatible with the component. To hide the control bar on the component select the parameter from the Properties panel 'Hide Controlbar'.

See the FLA attached, waterLoop.fla

Best,
    Dene.

Got it! Thank you sooo much for your help and explanations on how it works... ! Saved me a lot of time and trouble! LOL
    Last edited by 3dsounds; 07-15-2004 at 06:46 PM.

I can't seem to get around the pause problem. I've tried all the way up to 100 keyframes. Is there something about the stock component that does that?

//the .fla is too big too upload but I just have a media display component on the stage and this code on frame 1

Code:
    myListener.complete = function(){
    	myMedia.play(0);
    }
    myMedia.addEventListener("complete", myListener);
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 07-29-2004 at 07:26 PM.

Are you talking about the FLV pausing before it reaches the very end?
    Try importing the video into Flash and exporting it from the library as an external FLV file. That should solve it.

its more like a blank frame between the end and the beginning of the repeat. I'll try what you suggested.

hmm, didnt seem to make any difference. Could it be that the .flv is 150k? Do I have to use NetStream to get more control over it? There has got to be a fool proof way of getting seamless loops.

The Macromedia Media component seems to pause for a fraction of a second at the end of the video when you try to loop it back to the start.

My FLV player isn't prone to this problem - you could try the demo from this link. You just have to listen for the 'end' event instead of 'complete'. See the User Guide for more info.

Dene.

well I'd wish you'd just explain it to me instead of trying to make a buck but thanks anyway.

Hi

is there anyway to limit the number of loops? I need to only loop it 3 times

ta
    chris

hi,

hi, the flv loop is not working for me , it even copied and paste your code but it didn't loop it at all.

i even made a movie clip instanced it waterClip and video component named water but it didn't work.

can you help me
    thanks
    ak