A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Best method for HTML and flash combo?

Best method for HTML and flash combo?

Hey all! I've been asked to create a website with a flash banner/navigation and have all the content in html. My initial thought and concern was that everytime I clicked on a link within the flash movie, the movie would have to reload everytime the page changed... is there a way to avoid the reloading on each page? (I know nothing about this but I'm sure someone here as done something with this) thanks a bunch!
    Woody

The only way that I know is to use frames (I'm assuming you know how to put frames on pages...let me know if you don't). Have a frame at the top of the page with the menu in it, and have the main content below in the main frame. To make the content load in the main frame, give your buttons the following code:

on (release) {
    getURL ("yoursitehere.com", 'mainFrame')
    }

I have attached an example of this to this message in a compressed format.

If you have any trouble with this, don't hesitate to reply to this post or to email me directly at sethchristian@mailbolt.com

Seth Riedel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Symsonic Design Studios
    yes or use an iframe... you put your flash on a page then below it <iframe height="100 width="100" src="page.html"> </iframe>... thats a way i have used before...

hey tucker, I was thinking frames too... but someone told me to stay away from frames yesterday (I don't know why). Are there problems with frames?

Acb, is the iframe created within Flash? and will is scroll? I can't really make it a set height cause we're gonna have a lot of content to scroll through.

thanks!
    Woody

Frames can be tricky to deal with. First off, the content in frames doesn't move when you scroll down the rest of the page. So your menu would always be visible at the top.

The other problem is if you have advertisements at the top of the pages of your web site, it'll be messed up.

Lots of proffesional web designers don't like frames, so I would check with your employer before getting too deep into it.

I don't really know what an iFrame is.

Seth

an iframe is flash would be too good

but as yet it hasnt been made (unless you find a way to program an internet browser into flash....)

Iframes will work, actual frames are wrong on so many levels

a frame(or iframe) will scroll the content it loads if you set it to scroll (on by defualt)

<iframe src="defualtpage.html" name="loadfromflash" hright=500 width=500></iframe><br>
    [load flash menu movie here]

the buttons in the movie would be

on (release) {
    getURL ("about.html", 'loadfromflash')
    }

---

that should be enough to see how it bassically works and play arround with the settings

can anyone post an example of the iframe in action?
    Woody

AWESOME! thanks wannabe! =D
    Woody

something else to think about here....on the website http://macromedia.com, they have a flash/html combo that works really well because flash is usually very small file size, so viewers don't have to wait long at all for the menu to reload on each page. That's what I'd do.

Seth

FK Doctor of Love
    the easiest way the think about what an iframe is is to think of it as a floating frame that you can position anywhere on the "page"...

when you use an iframe, you not only have x and y coordinates, you also have a z-index which is essentially the "third dimension" aspect of the frame... you can tell each iframe what "level" it should sit on...

theoretically, you could stack iframes on top of each other...

here's a good place to start learning about iframes...

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey...l?tw=authoring
    Check out Howie Day--http://www.howieday.com

iframes compatibility

I was under the impression that Iframes were not cross-browser compatible... in fact, i had read that as of yet, they are only compatible with IE 6+

am I wrong in this asumption, because it would seriously fix a LOT of my problems if i could use Iframes more often.

Thanks !