A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mediatemple.net

New (mt) ?

(mt)
    Nice 3D work

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    Looks the same to me.

it's a bit different, the homepage changed a bit but the overall look & feel isn't changed
    Last edited by JFlashK; 07-20-2004 at 09:09 AM.

its the front page splash, new graphics
    Who gives a flying Flip.

I like it. It has a bit more flare then the last one.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

They took out the annoying dropdown on the menu that would always come out on you when you are trying to click on the login section.

I don't know. I kind of like the older look better. It just felt more in line with the pixel icons they are using. Although the new graphics isn't bad either.

why are they using flash when it could be done just as easily with animated gifs?

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    It looks the same as it did when I signed up for an account with them about a month ago.

Because animated .gifs are a bit dated?

nice 3d, not much else different.

animated gifs?!?!?!? ......................... bwahahahahahahahahahha That's some funny ****. (shaking his head, walking away) Media Temple using animated gifs........... heeheeheeheehee.........
    tap water builds character
    -Aesop Rock

Leave it out..

Its a simple rollover.. i dont see the point of creating a flash element that can be done easier with a basic .gif..

Firstly.. it would be more compatible with all browsers..
    and secondly ..in some cases more efficient.

Whats the point of using flash if your not going to utlize its features..?

just because they are 'MT' doesnt mean they are 'too cool' to use gifs..

Pull your head in.

Originally posted by ex-static
    Leave it out..

Its a simple rollover.. i dont see the point of creating a flash element that can be done easier with a basic .gif..

and secondly ..in some cases more efficient.

Whats the point of using flash if your not going to utlize its features..?

just because they are 'MT' doesnt mean they are 'too cool' to use gifs..

Pull your head in.
    Um, I fail to see how a gif would work better. File size wouldnt be dif, if not smaller, Quality higher and animation smoother.

You do know flash can be used for simple animation, right? It has a simple easy to use timeline.

Yeah its a simple rollover, but its a simple use of flash. It gets the job done and helps to keep MT site images MT's instead of some one looking for graphics to use on their site.
    Last edited by EllisStudios; 07-22-2004 at 05:26 AM.
    Who gives a flying Flip.

I wonder when people will finally stop using this argument. Even if they skip out on the 2% of computers surfing the net that don't have flash capabilities ... do you think people with those systems are really looking to use MT for anything? They'll want a less expensive, less "bells and whistles" server product, not the one all the cool designers use

Honestly, the whole .gif comment was silly. Flash can be used for whatever you want it to be used for, that's the beauty of it.

Well put villian2. I am also tired of that crappy argument. It just is not valid. It takes less than a minute to download the Flash player on dial-up anyway.

I am actually giving a presentation today in my Java class to show all the different uses for it. My prof says Flash is bad but he is just like every other old person with no vision. Hope I don't fail the class b/c of this.
    "Leading the business of today into the future of tomorrow"

mysterious dust from space sagasha's Avatar
    i dunno people. looks like the whole thing could have, should have, been done in good ol html. why use flash for a two state button with no animation? the best transition ya got is an underline (which html does automatically)? c'mon... if it don't move don't use flash.

Well, let's not get past the fact that Flash animations are typically smoother than .gif's too.

PastthePresent, nice battle a few months back btw, I wouldn't worry too much about failing because your prof doesn't like Flash. That's the beauty of your presentation, if you can show him it's uses (it's LOGICAL and TALENTED uses) then you'll probably get a good grade for teaching him a thing or two.

"doesn't take long to download anyway"

man thats silly. and it takes longer than a minute to download on dialup.

Think of it from a user perspective because ultimately that is who you are paying lipservice to.

1) not all users have flash installed, and may not be able to install it because they don't have admin priviledges, activeX installs are turned off, or they get scared of downloading something.

2) I haven't looked at MT's script but there is an ever growing annoyance with designers exporting in flash 7 and using the default codebase template that flash outputs. the problems with this? it forces users to download flash 7 in order to view the content; even though the content is a lame ass rollover that could have easily been viewed in flash 4, or hell.... 3.

3) then the ultimate reason, why should i download something to view something that is just for show and doesn't benefit me? If a business spends that much time and energy building something in flash, either you guys are successful, or you are shortcutting elsewhere to pay for the designer fees....

frankly after looking at the link my first thought was, why the hell is this in coolsites? and of course secondly, why was this done in flash?
    little googly goblins...

Originally posted by murple
    "doesn't take long to download anyway"

man thats silly. and it takes longer than a minute to download on dialup.

Think of it from a user perspective because ultimately that is who you are paying lipservice to.

1) not all users have flash installed, and may not be able to install it because they don't have admin priviledges, activeX installs are turned off, or they get scared of downloading something.

2) I haven't looked at MT's script but there is an ever growing annoyance with designers exporting in flash 7 and using the default codebase template that flash outputs. the problems with this? it forces users to download flash 7 in order to view the content; even though the content is a lame ass rollover that could have easily been viewed in flash 4, or hell.... 3.

3) then the ultimate reason, why should i download something to view something that is just for show and doesn't benefit me? If a business spends that much time and energy building something in flash, either you guys are successful, or you are shortcutting elsewhere to pay for the designer fees....

frankly after looking at the link my first thought was, why the hell is this in coolsites? and of course secondly, why was this done in flash?
    Thanks Murple, my point exactly

Oh please, who in this day and age, that actually looks at the internet as something of an important tool, doesn't have flash now? Yeah, and I'm sure people still have rabbit ears instead of cable or the dish network, do you really think HBO should pander to them?

'

Heaven forbid you update the latest flash player ... but we'll expound all day about getting Firefox and the latest IE right? :P

The same reason you should by a dvd player instead of vcr. You don't have to, but if you want the experience of the movie to be enhanced by the capabilities and the presentation, then you do. If you don't, then stick with you vcr.

There's this movement of un-talented-un-artistic-dorks who keep asking why we need graphics and slick animations. Enough already. It's about PRESENTATION. The web is not microfiche, how many times do I have to say that? It has as much ability to entertain as it does to inform.