A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I need to keep my Flash movie constantly updated with data - how?

I need to keep my Flash movie constantly updated with data - how?

I'm developing an order system (takeway/restaurant) for a customer.
    I'm doing the front end in Flash.
    I will probably have the Flash movie as a standalone.

I need to have the Flash movie constantly updated with new data - maybe every few seconds.

I was thinking that maybe I'd use a database and have my Flash movie contantly poll the database?

AND, in particular I will have orders coming in through the internet.
    The order data will need to be displayed in my Flash application.
    How can I do this?

And, the database will be responsible for storing 'triggers'. So, when a particular time/date is reached, a Notification message of some sort needs to be fired.
    The Flash application also needs to be able to read this.

I really need some advice on the best way to achieve what I want to.
    What software should I be using?

I was thinking of using MS SQL.
    But, can I use MySQL instead?
    I don't know much about MySQL - can I have triggers on this?

(I would also add that I need to have several machines connected by a network with the Flash application on. The database will probably be on a seperate machine.)

ANY help/opinions would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jam

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Sounds like a monster job! Spending some time up front designing the system architecture is essential and very smart. You don't want to get this part wrong

You should know that MySQL is free for private use it requires a license for commercial use. I don't know what the costs are (it can't be more than MS SQL) but that might affect your choice of a database.

You need to know what kind of volume you can expect before you pick a database and/or server.

What kind of infrastructure does this place already have? Will you be using what they have or recommending hardware purchases (MS SQL will require an NT based server, client licenses etc).

How are the orders "coming in" via the internet? Are you doing that part or do you have to deal with crap that someone else builds (has built)?

I've built a few mission critical database systems and would be happy to offer whatever advice I can...

Northcode, many thanks for the reply. I've been unbelievably busy and haven't been able to get back to my original post.

I still desperetaly need help and advice.

Originally posted by Northcode
    Sounds like a monster job! Spending some time up front designing the system architecture is essential and very smart. You don't want to get this part wrong
    Yeah sure is. I've been scratching my head thinking and going mad pondering about the design.

You should know that MySQL is free for private use it requires a license for commercial use. I don't know what the costs are (it can't be more than MS SQL) but that might affect your choice of a database.
    The thing needs to be legitimate. So if MySQL is the best solution, then payin license fees is no problem.

But... I'd kind of settled on having MS SQL.
    What would you recommend?

Originally posted by Northcode You need to know what kind of volume you can expect before you pick a database and/or server.
    Volume would probably be 150 order in one night - absolute max. We're not talking about an absolute mission critical and processor intensive application.

What kind of infrastructure does this place already have? Will you be using what they have or recommending hardware purchases (MS SQL will require an NT based server, client licenses etc).
    I dictate everything.

Originally posted by Northcode How are the orders "coming in" via the internet?
    Orders will be coming in:

- via the internet.
    - by phone.
    - customers coming in person.
    (With regards the last two: the main part of whole system is to be an order system that is to be operated by staff.)

If I have orders coming in from the internet, how would you best recommend getting the data into the database that is being used in house?
    I'm kind of unsure as to how I will do this.
    If you can say anything about security issues, that would be useful.

I've built a few mission critical database systems and would be happy to offer whatever advice I can...
    Thanks. Flashkit has got to be one of the best and most used websites in the world because of guys like you.

Any responses to any the above would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Jam