A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Talisman

Talisman

K i Know everyone has played or heard of the board game talisman. I'm making a computer version of it and I was wondering if anyone knows any tutorials that might come in handy. Im an advanced flash user and I've got most of the movement coded, it's just the crossing the bridge part I'm havind probs with. Any ideas?

Hey buddy because not you know me so well you can tell me when I played or heard of this game. Please tell me as I can not remember. How about you do us all a favor and refreshj our memory by actually describing the game and not assuming thatwe all know wtf you are talking about.

First off, Sorry for that, I only had about 2 mins to write the last post. Second I don't think you have to be such an @ss about it.

Anyways, the board is a square ring on the outside with a square ring on the inside, there's a bridge at one point, and that's the only place u can cross. When you roll the dice u can move either way u want.

Now I've got it so u can roll and choose the direction u want but what i can't figure out is how to , if u have a gold, cross the bridge only at a certain point.

Here's the fla of how i have it so far.

http://www.geocities.com/xanderjz99/testtalisman.fla

If anyone could help itd be great
    Thx

How about if after each roll you just did a check to see if ms20 was visible, if it is then you could make a "cross bridge" button visible and that could handle getting across to the other side. Then you could set a variable that defined whether or not they had crossed the bridge, and handle their movement differently based on which ring they are on.

Does that make any sense?
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

It DOES make sense and it is a good idea. unfortunately ms20 wouldnt be visible is they were on say ms19 and rolled a 6. That would work perfectly if it was only when they landed on the bridge.

Hmmmm..... Okay, I see the problem... Then why not try something like this:

Make it so that the crossing position is numbered at least 6 less than the maximum numbered position and at least 6 more than the starting position, then when they roll, check if the crossing position falls within where the player is and their potential roll.

For example:
    ==============
    Crossing position: 20
    Player Position: 17
    Roll: 5

Cross = true
    ===============
    Crossing position: 20
    Player Position: 14
    Roll: 4

Cross = false
    ===============

The code would be something like:

code:

if ((playerPosition < crossPosition && playerPosition + playerRoll >= crossPosition) || (playerPosition > crossPosition && playerPosition - playerRoll <= crossPosition)){
    canCross = true;
    }else{
    canCross = false;
    }

Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

hmm That looks like it might work with some extra coding for the inner squares thx a lot. I'll give it a try when I get home and give you an update. I'm working on an isometric view right so we'll see how it fairs.
    Thx

OK so I recoded it so that its easier to understand in respect to the case statements. I've got the up and down the bridge working except for ONE thing. When I cross the bridge it does the movement of the roll twice and I can't think of how to fix that. Take a look at my new one and if anyone has any ideas lemme know

http://geocities.com/XanderJZ99/testtalisman.fla

Thanx

nm bout that last post i putthe wrong one up. ill put the right one up tommoro left it at work
    sorry

K hre's the updated version crosses the bridge but doesn't minus the roll after u get across the bridge.

http://www.hotnewmedia.com/jzellweg/...lismangood.fla