A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: transparent clipart?

transparent clipart?

Hello,

Here is my problem that I need help on.

I need for a user to load clipart onto the stage and be able to change the color using a color pallet.

I currently have no problem loading the clipart as jpgs, but jpgs (not being a vectored file) will not change the outline color, it changes the whole image, losing the clipart image.

Is it possible to do this, and if it is, can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    xcaliber

Applying a color effect to a PNG with transparency will only apply the effect to solid pixels and not the transparent parts.

Philadelphia, PA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Spiral Arm of Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe
    You may want to experiment with the "Trace Bitmap" feature. (Modify > Bitmap > Trace Bitmap)

If your clip art is simple enough you may be able to make aceptable vector art from it with a little experimentation in the Trace Bitmap settings.
    Argon Zark!, The original interactive webcomic (since 1995)

re

Thanks for the reply Pporksoda.

Here is a little more info. on my problem. I have an accordion component that loads a comboBox. The user makes their select from the CB and a external swf loads onto stage which loads dynamic thumbnails. The thumbnails could be jpgs, but I would prefer to use the same file for the thumbnails and for the bigger one that appears on stage.

My problem is that I only see two options to do this is:

1. to import over 5000 Illustrator .eps files into flash and save each out as a swf. The user would load from my swf. library of clipart.

or

2. see if this "img2swf" software could change the clipart to png format when the user picks a thumbnail. Then that transparent .png file could have the color changed using the color pallet.

Is there a easier/better way?

Thanks,

xcaliber

oi... I missed the part about the clippart loading in externally. Unfortunately, until flash is able to dynamically load any bitmap other than a jpg, I don't think there is an easier way. Good luck.

re: trace clipart

Thanks again for the info. CharleyParker and Pporksoda.

I guess I will start importing eps.

xcaliber