A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MovieClip names in variables

MovieClip names in variables

Flash MX 2004 Professional

GOAL:

I'm loading a list of filenames from an external file into a variable, then splitting the variable into an array (fileArray) with one filename in each array element.

For each element in the array (fileArray[n]), I need to duplicate a movieClip and load an external JPG (from the array of filenames) into the new movieClip.

PROBLEM:

This is where things start to break. On each iteration, the dynamically generated instance name (jpg1, jpg2, etc.) of the newly duplicated movieClip is stored in a variable (clipName).

I have no problems setting properties on the new movieClip using the variable (clipName._x = 120) instead of the literal movieClip name (jpg1, jpg2, etc.).

However, I cannot assign variables within the new movieClip (clipName.varName = fileArray[n]) or load a JPG into the new movieClip using the variable (clipName.LoadMovie(fileArray[n]) OR loadMovie(fileArray[n],clipName))

SOLUTION:

Any guidance you fine folks can give me on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I've been tearing my hair out and am now completely bald.

Since clipName is a variable referring to the name of the actual movieclip, you'll need to use either eval() or array-style notation (I prefer the latter).

Assuming clipName refers to a movieclip attached to _root, you would use:

_root[clipName]._x = ??;

Hey, that worked!

Too bad the online help is so vague about that usage.

Is there someplace in the online documentation that I might have found this information? I searched and searched to no avail.

Thank you so much.

Banned
    It's called associative array syntax...

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...-182/more3.php