A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: out of the ashes ... media.coup

out of the ashes ... media.coup

finally got around to reviving my design portfolio ... still a little rusty but im kinda proud of the sliding navigation on this version ... any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

media.coup

Still rusty eh . . . well, I thought your site was (is) great. If you were worried about your nav don't be. I thought it was original yet intuitive and easy to use. Just two minor things I would suggest . . . well, one suggestion and another something to think about. I would up the fps. Of course, my comp has been over heating so it very well could just be me, but it didn't seem as smooth as it could be (but barely). I personally use 30 fps. But if it's just my comp then tell me and I'll shoot it for you. It's been giving me fits lately. Also, overall I like the greyscale, but your pics might be a bit off balance with the site because they're the only thing in color. On a side note, the way they scroll and how the arrow moves with the scroll is a nice touch, and you're right to be proud of it. Maybe a splash of color, something very subtle and unobtrusive might tie the color pics together with the website more. Not a big deal though, and probably just a personal quark. I really like the site, it's comming along just fine. Just make sure you keep us posted because I would like to see it when it's finished.
    Last edited by idolmind; 08-08-2004 at 07:55 AM.

The site got stuck in my browser @ 64% loaded and 75kb of 117. After 3 minutes of waiting i closed the window.
    Reopened it only to have a white screen this time.

junior, apologies ... im gonna attribute that issue to my host which can be shoddy now and than. (but then i only pay for domain reg and everything is free.)

idolmind, thanks so much for your feedback. its at 24fps now ... which i always thought was high ... but yes, it does choke particularly in the portal section when the menu pops out at first ... i will experiment with higher fps ... you are spot on on the photos/color issue! im going to address that as well ... i wish i was better at actionScript since the sliding bav (the sliding bars) were done by brute force rather than finesse (ergo, i have frames for each permutation of navigation ... i know thats week haha)...

anyway, thanks so much for the feedback ... it means a lot!

i cleaned up the site quite a bit but decided to keep the fps to the extent thered be a lot to change if i did ... maybe in the next iteration. big change here is that im loading the external swf files into a mc allowing the submenu to be lowered without having to hide the external swf. im pretty stoked with the overall results... (click below)

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    Changing the FPS can be a big task as you would need to extend the tweens to make it look smooth.
    It didn't seem too bad although just at some points it became alittle jerky, like you may have 2 frames that are the same next to eachother in the middle of a tween (if that makes sense).
    Pretty much all my probs with it have been mentioned (ie. color[even some change in the grey, the one grey color is too monotonous]) but also the sounds (ARG!) they don't really work.. Too loud and un-fitting, maybe change them to something more subtle.

gasbag, thanks for the input. yes, its quite a pain to back and change all the actionScipt and tweenings to accomodate a higher frame rate. i may just stick with it for now ... of course, leave to me to add even more CPU intensive animation hahaha. hopefully the new intro animations (mouseover the Last Samurai dude for some sword swinging goodness) wont be too much of a chaffe.

i agree, the sounds were forced ... didnt feel like going through flashkit and picking all new sounds. i deleted them altogether. i am thinking of weaving in a soundtrack instead. maybe something from prodigy. stay tuned...

whoa man, I love that samurai dude. The effects that you have in the sky, and the smoothness of the anamation . . . great job. My only concern is that someone just visiting your site wouldn't roll over the guy. Maybe you could have him start off anamating, and on mouse rollover repeat it. It's not a big deal, bit it would be a shame to miss that. Are you still "rusty?, because if so I wish I was "rusty" too. That's great work.

thanks a lot idolmind ... comments much appreciated! im glad the animations are not hiccupping your CPU. i like putting "easter eggs" like that in my personal sites ... sort of a reward for taking the time to look around hahaha. thanks again, idol.

heh, yeah . . . I like your idea. I think it's great what you're doing.
    Last edited by idolmind; 08-09-2004 at 04:55 PM.