A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Would you drop everything...?

Would you drop everything...?

Would you leave your life of 9-5 job, decent consistent wage. To move across the country to pursue a business opportunity that could potentially make $150,000 in the first year? It's not a scam /get rich scheme, it's a business Idea, that will cater to the wealthy based on improving an already existing successful business)

Have you done this?

I'm at the crossroads. Looking for advice...
    Last edited by asun2art; 08-13-2004 at 04:30 PM.

Sounds like a scam... $1 million in the first year. Come on! My advice would be no.
    "Leading the business of today into the future of tomorrow"

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    the answer depends on lots of variables ..

such as ..

are you married, do you have children or other such responsabilities.

do you have enough cash to live on until the new business starts to generate cash ..

If you are reasonable free of responsabilities i would say go for it, you can always get another 9-5 job in the future.

Edge Animation
    It's not one of these stupid Amway/Quixtar/etc. scams is it?

If it is, you might as well hand over all your time and money to the next person you see...

Also, does your current job have potential for expansion/promotion?

And you're sure the other job is safe and secured?

I'm just worried if it doesn't work out, I've abandoned my company and would feel bad coming back. But that's the risk that must be accepted. I'll figure it out. Thanks guys.

(no, It's not a scam /scheme, it's a business Idea, that will cater to the wealthy based on improving an already existing successful business)

OddDog has some great advice. I moved from Chicago to Kansas City on a similar venture. It wasn't for that much of a $$$ difference, but I did do it under the expectation that I would become part of the Next Big Thing™. I didn't.

I ended up moving right after getting married, but since my wife had previously been living in Richmond, and had planned on moving to Chicago after the wedding, the actual change wasn't so much for her.

The business opportunity lasted about three months before they went under, still owing me the moving expenses they had promised me. I ended up finding work here and there -- and losing them, due to the economic climate. I have since started my own company, which has become fairly successful. Things turned out all right in the end, even though they were pretty fragile for a while there.

But now we have a son and a house, and my wife has a job here too. If a similar opportunity came up, I wouldn't take it. It would have to be a very good offer, with a lot of $$$ up front.

So, if you don't have anything holding you back, and you've got reserves to live on for the time being, I suggest go for it. These kinds of adventures are what makes life fun. Later on, you'll trade these kinds of adventures for home ownership and starting your own family. But for now, enjoy your adventures. Take risks. If they don't work out, just find another opportunity. They're out there.

My philosphy has always been: no matter how successful your ventures turn out, it's where they lead you and what you've learned that really matter.
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

completely depends on your situation. If you are just out of college, not tied down to a city or place or job, then go for it. But if you have a family to support and other things that could get messed up, don't bother
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Originally posted by LuxFX
    ...My philosphy has always been: no matter how successful your ventures turn out, it's where they lead you and what you've learned that really matter.

Great advice, I'm saving that quote.

You only live once.

Originally posted by juxtaflo
    You only live once.
    You're only young once....
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

That too.

"Eat, drink and be merry, for tommorow we die"

...best philosophy ever
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100