A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [beta] The Curse of Sylvaniah

[beta] The Curse of Sylvaniah

Hello all!

Here's a beta/demo of The Curse of Sylvaniah, a platform action/adventure game coming to your favourite browser.

Our deadline for the demo was tuesday (we had to set a deadline or it would never be finished), that's why we post this now.

The demo consists of 4 levels, and ends just after the first boss. There are still some bugs and minor issues. This game will run on most computers, but if you have an older computer (less than 1GHz) you will probably need to turn off some options to speed things up.

We would love to get some useful feedback on the game.

Link: www.sylvaniah.com

A special thanks to Nils for hosting this for free.

Regards,

Strille
    Luxregina

I didn't get too far the controls bother me way too much. I don't know I couldn't get used to it. It looks good but those controlssssssss grrrrrrrr.

very polished for a demo.

just out of curiosity strille, are you an advocate of OOP?
    Last edited by Asclepeos; 08-10-2004 at 10:27 PM.

What a game !

Strille, your engine unleashes its power.
    Physics everywhere, ropes to play Tarzan (elf version), breakable bridges to hunt down orcs... with the slingshot (my fav), the bow, double arrows, flame arrows, mighty dagger...

Lux, your gfx are awesome ! The character animations of course, but best of all is the layout... incredible details everywhere, roots on the rocks, architecture... level design is quite good and goes increasingly, and hopefully power-ups are there !

Special mention to :
    - Parallax, definitely a must be;
    - Aiming system. I love it !
    - Replays. Damn, i never saw that yet ! I can see how Lux plays and cheaaaatsss

Not to forget the ambiant: the music makes it deep. Some actions lack sounds, but you've got time to add them.

The curse of Sylvaniah is the best platform game ever made in Flash !

3983, score to beat.... Ready your slingshots, everyone !

Nils - 2ice.net
    p.s: Controls are changeable in the "menu" > "controls".
    p.s 2: Where is the boomerang ?
    Last edited by Hasufel; 08-10-2004 at 10:44 PM.
    Bubble Islands - Your arcade puzzle game !
    Dot-invasion Team
    Tales from the code front: stimunation developers blog
    Puzzle Bobble - The arcade port!
    2iceMP framework - Flash Multiuser Server: multiplayer tetris, chess, othello, connect4 ...
    Frozen Bubble - shoot da bubbles!
    The Pi Game - game for geeks

Wow. Just.. Wow. This game is class, but since you guys must obviously know this, I'll go over the two things that kind irked me.

The controls seemed very slipery. I'd like to see them a bit tighter with a bit more control over the player (and the thing where he slips off the edge of a platform is somewhat frustrating.) I guess this is a thing that would come naturally after playing for a while, but from a first impresions pov it's a little daunting.

The second thing, there's almost too much detail! While it looks fantastic, it can be hard at times to tell what's part of the level design, and what's just scenery.

Don't think I'm negative towards the game, because I'm not. It's absolutely amazing! I declare it the smash hit of the season, well done old chap.
    Last edited by DancingOctopus; 08-11-2004 at 02:57 AM.

Truley Mind blowing. I love it heaps. Their are a few things that need playing with. One thing that was annoying was the slope thing i personally would rather that the character stops when you stop instead of sliding up and down tiny bumps. But thats just me.

Its amazing the amount of options you have in this game its definately one of the best ive ever seen. Nice work.

Ps: Its so fast !
    "I layed down in my bed last night looked up at the stars, and thought to myself... Where the F*#K is my roof"

What a great artwork Lux, you have even exceeded the 2K art. I have nothing to say more about it, just... woooow

The engine seems pretty fast, and the level design seems good to. Like DancingOctopus said, the walking and jumping could be a little more tighter. At one point I had to jump from small platform to another small platform, but it was a hell of a job. I also suggest to increase the range of the sword, because it is almost impossible to attack an enemy without touching it and receiving damage.

This could be a classic! Keep it on!
    (and keep us informed, alright )

Btw Lux, if you have time left and would like to, can you explain a bit about how you do the artwork? Do you start drawing the characters, and then scan them and over-draw them pixel by pixel?
    Last edited by Baukereg; 08-11-2004 at 02:35 AM.

It's a lovely game, great graphics and runs very smooth.

The only negative thing are the controls. Those are good for people using a querty-keyboard, but for azerty-users it's almost impossible to play the game descent. It's a pitty that a lot of game-developpers don't take notice of this problem.

Beside from that: keep it up!!!

Rob

First Flash game in ages that's wow'ed me. It looks amazing and runs supersmooth. I like the professional way you've presented it. The parrallax effect is stunning, the ropes are great and I like the weapon system.

My suggestions:
    * Tighten the jumping and running. At the moment it's more difficult than it should be just to simply jump from one platform to another (particularly going up into the tree on the second level). The speed of the direction you're jumping in seems to increase superfast if you hold that direction down more than a moment. Way too sensitive.

* Make the weapon sounds, and their impact sounds, meatier! They just feel too weak at the moment.

Other than those two things, it's a sure masterpiece.

curiouser and curiouser LittleRed's Avatar
    incredible!
    gorgeous graphics, and I really liked the touches such as the rope bridge moving beneath you and the spirit being released when you died.

Great graphics and I love the elements (like the bridge etc)

Thinks of Curse of Enchantia, Shadow of the beast and Lost Vikings

Originally posted by Robtje

The only negative thing are the controls. Those are good for people using a querty-keyboard, but for azerty-users it's almost impossible to play the game descent.
    You can edit the controls...

Although, I do agree, a preset for azerty keyboards would be nice in most games.

You can edit the controls...

I take back my words then... I didn't notice that.
    So please ignore the negative points in my post please , next time I'll have a better look to all the options before replying.

It's just that there are so much game-developpers out there that don't think about azerty-keyboards.

Well, so I can only say: Great game!

I'll shut up now

Rob

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Hey !

Thanks for the feedback

Yes - for those annoyed by the controls, know that there is a pretty much insane level of customisation, so you can edit the controls
    We tried to include as much as in game help we could - and an 'how to play' page is on its way

For the graphic works, to reply Baukereg, i will certainly soon do a quick tutorial
    Sylvaniah Gfx work has been quite messy though on the end - most of the sprites being created as they were needed, so no previous artwork to base work on ...

The graphics though pay an heavy tribute to some classic platformers : the tree (the trunks, not the leaves ), for example, come from Ghouls'n'Ghosts - some sprites are also adapted from classic video games - not that i was running out of imagination - but i thought i was giving it a slight oldschool touch -

We would be mostly interested in some level design feedback - We tried to do our best jobs, but i'm sure some ideas could be exploited better in the further levels.
    I'm not really experienced in platformers, I played some a lot lately to get inspiration, but that doesn't tell me if our levels are easy, difficult, varied enough, challenging ... Is the difficulty step too high ? too low - help us with that so that playing The Curse Of Sylvaniah could be a great experience

It's been a true pleasure to work with Strille : with such a coder, there's no limits to what you can imagin, and Strille is at the origin of some of my favorites gfxs effects in the game ( the flames and the Ent kicking - rhaaaa ! )

Please keep on giving us feedback - positive or negative - it will help us to finish the game and complete all the other levels

A big shout at Nils for the free hosting !!!

Finally, i can't resist posting another screeny thing :-)

Other screenshots :
    http://www.sylvaniah.com/screens.htm

Hope you have fun playin'

Lux

Some other comments:

The evil roots should stick a lit more up the ground when hidden, cause it's impossible with this fast gameplay to see them in time.
    They should also not be stationed near a hill, cause sometimes I slide of the hill into the roots. When I jump out and land on the hillside, I slide of again.. enz enz

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, keep it coming

There seems to be a lot of comments on the controls. I think we should reduce the sliding on slopes, I agree, and that will make it a bit tighter. I sort of like the sensitive controls, because that will give you a lot of control over the character once you master it. Maybe we could make them a bit easier though.

Coolguy225: Could you please elaborate what bothered you about the controls. Was it the aiming system? Or the player control? Or was it the slipping off platforms?

Asclepeos: About OOP, I'm not really either for or against. This game is not OOP.

Hasufel: Thanks, I'm glad you like it, and thanks again for hosting it. I don't really know where the boomerang is located, it was near the orcs on level 3, but it seems lux moved it.

DancingOctopus: What details were confusing? If you have some examples of things you thought you could jump on that were part of the scenery, please let us know.

Baukereg: Yes, the sword is pretty useless on moving enemies. I don't know if that's a bad thing though. The idea is that you should use the sword where it does the job (bee-spawner, flower thingie) and use projectiles on moving enemies. Also, you will find better close range weapons.

StenFLASH: There are some sounds missing in the demo, so that will be fixed in the full game.

Baukereg: Believe it or not, the roots where ever harder to spot before than they are now. I agree, you should learn to jump over them, and right now they are hard to spot, especially if you are chasing or being hunted by another enemy. And when we reduce the gliding on slopes the other point you raised will be diminished.
    Last edited by strille; 08-11-2004 at 06:31 AM.

My main beef with the controls was the slipping off of platforms and missing them altogether because the jumping was overly sensitive causing me to overshoot. I've played many games with controls like that, and am used to them, but the irritation it causes far outways any benefit. In my opinion, that kind of thing is a cheap way of adding extra difficulty to a game. It should be the level layout and enemies that give the challenge, not the controls.

aye!
    if my ego wasn't so strong, i just would quit making games, now and forever.

fast, cute, stunning ...

<olli/>

Originally posted by strille

DancingOctopus: What details were confusing? If you have some examples of things you thought you could jump on that were part of the scenery, please let us know.
    It's not so much mistaking scenery for level aspects, but overlooking level stuff because it's blending into the scenery. when you're standing on a small ledge being attacked by an eagle, you don't have much time to search around for the next platform to jump on.

I must admit that it became less of a problem after playing for a while and learning what everything looks like, but I think that first level could perhaps do with a more simplistic design.

It's an amazing demo, with great graphics, and well coded!