A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sliding/Looped menu

Sliding/Looped menu

Hey everyone. I'm trying to locate a fla for a movie like this one: http://www.blockbuster.ca/movies/default.aspx

After nearly an hour of searching on here, I've found a couple similar ones in the movies section on FK, but the ones I found either don't loop, or don't use images, just dynamic text.

I know this type of thing was all over the place a year ago, so if anyone knows where I might find this please let me know.

Cheers,
    Adam

P.S. I realize that example is JS, but I know there are flash versions out there.
    Last edited by thodya; 08-12-2004 at 11:24 AM.

Supreme Ruler
    to be honest i think that's a bit rubbish. how advanced are you with actionscript? i can help you make something like that.

Originally posted by bart otj
    to be honest i think that's a bit rubbish. how advanced are you with actionscript? i can help you make something like that.
    You think what is a bit rubbish?

I'm pretty proficient with actionscript. The sliding part is easy obviously, I'm hung up on the looping part. In other words, I can't figure out how to make the items start over again when the menu scrolls in one direction for a while.

Supreme Ruler
    i think the sliding thing is a bit rubbish overall. if you could code it to smoothly slow down and speed up i think it would look much better though.

anyway: make each item on there its own movieclip, and stick them all in a container movieclip which has a mask. then, have code that says, if the extreme left item's _x is lower than a certain number it moves to the other end of the chain, and if the extreme right item's _x is greater than a certain number it moves left a lot. this is all out of view, beyond the confines of the mask window. if they're all the same width it might be worth having a variable which knows the number of items there are, and it will multiply the width of one by that number and move it along that much.

there is an alternative method, and that is to have all the different items, with one "screen's worth" from the far left copied to the far right. then, if the _x is too low or too high the whole thing will move along suddenly and you won't notice the change. this is the method i used to control this thing.

i hope this helps. i didn't write any code because you said you're proficient

shout if you need more help though.
    Last edited by bart otj; 08-15-2004 at 08:15 PM.