A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 days.. i need fresh eyes

His and Her Portfolio sites

His and Her Portfolio.. Will it fly is the question? They are different yet they are the same.. anyway I made my wife a Portfolio/personal website... of course she has sat down with me and told me exactly how she wants it.. she even came up with some good ideas that i added to mine.. thats why they look almost just alike.. anyway tell me what you think... oh yea i am still working on both sites...
    THE LINK

i love yall

yo main man lenny
    Last edited by FTBWEBDESIGN; 08-29-2004 at 03:46 PM.

I like it alot, fun concept.

Now not that I am an expert but I would like to see more contrast between the background and the main box, maybe the big box needs abit more shading or something but it needs to stand out more.

But that is a very small thing, all in all the site is great - good job!
    Trust No1

thats what i need

See now.. thats what i need some fresh eyes... i feel you on the making the box stand out more.. i am going to get right on that.. thanks for the advice..

i love yall

yo main man lenny

Life moves at 63 fps. mr. freak's Avatar
    That's fun And nice 'n fast.

Make sure your pixel fonts are pixel-snapped, and maybe consider using a little more color. Also, will the different sections have different text boxes in the final version? Just to keep it interesting...
    Be Happy.
    WebFeats v5 { webfeatsdesign.com } \\\ ITA Judge { internettinyawards.com } \\\ My band! { modusoperandiband.com }

added some color

i added a graphic to bring the box out more and to add some color to the site.. i tried to do it all with one graphic.. so tell me what you think of it...

"will the different sections have different text boxes in the final version?"

humm never thought about that... do you think that would make it better? with the concept i kinda limited myself to the space i have to work with.. the client was bent on this boxes in side of a big box thing .. they wanted them to come out of the big box on mouse overs... well i came as close as i could with the concept.. but it also kinda limited me to the amount of space i have show text.... you got any ideas on how i can come out with different text boxes??? thanks for the advice on the fonts but i have put every thing on whole numbers from the root to the text box.. html is on all charecters are embeded and Aliesed (however its spelled) is on.. and i still don't see where the font is as crisp as it should be... any advice you can give me on that issue?

i love yall

yo main man lenny

hey FTB, cool site, very fun!! ok be gentle with me, you asked for bugs, this is what i see, be kind =)

the font problem, i had something similar, maybe try putting the swf file in a non resizable window??

Why does the side of the box change opacity on rollover?? how many little boxes are inside the main box? i counted 6 but i kept loosing the top one (it would hide behind another one). sometimes it's hard for me to rollover a certain, it will kinda jerk away or not move at all (just assumed to rollover the edge of the box) but when i mouseOver to the side, they come out fine. when i but the mouse over to the left of the screen, all the boxes come out in a wave pattern. is that suppose to happen? to make the boxes stand out more, maybe make a reflected surface and you see a shadowy cast from the boxes? just an idea

Tracy

i dunno, its kind of hard to navigate. Rolling over the buttons its hard to get the one you want. Sometimes it doesn't come out (follow mouse). If I was you, I would make some boxes in like swift 3d or another 3d rendering program.(if you did already rasterize it this time [looks like a vector] and perhaps add some materials.)

As for the text, are you using a pixel font? If your using pixel fonts you can't have the text on any coordinates but whole numbers. i.e

X: 46.0
    Y: 53.0

Also check what size works best for that pixel font, usually like 8 or 12.

btw: If you already have the text in (which you do) you have to go to _root. And check the coords for each MC. Say you have a MC on frame 1 with the coords of

X: 240.6
    Y: 678.3

To zero out (obtain whole number) in text inside that MC you must have the coords match the .# of the main MC

for text inside this hypotetical MC it would be.

X: 120.6
    Y: 234.3

honestly:

1.your pixel fonts arent snapped.
    2.your scroll bar is all jacked up. for real... you need to reprogram that thing -- remember to use updateAfterEvent() like below:

this.dragHandle.onPress = function () {
    this.startDrag(false, left, top, right, bottom);
    this.onMouseMove = function() {
    updateAfterEvent();
    }
    }
    this.dragHandle.onRelease = this.dragHandle.onReleaseOutside = function () {
    this.onMouseMove = undefined;
    this.stopDrag();
    }

it needs more than that though.
    3.your frame rate is either too low or the file is just too graphic intensive... probably the latter because gradients eat up performance.
    4.the navigation is REALLY poor. When the site first loads its hard to see the nav at all and its very hard to control... I would change it.
    5.the sound fx are kind of annoying -- the bkgnd loop is too fast and the sounds are way too tinny. try something groovy and ambient.
    6.Its just kind of bland.

I don't know. I apologize if my comments have been in the negative... but if you really want to market yourself as a professional and capable flash designer you need to tune up your skills. I think you can do it. peace.

Originally posted by NOWINNERS
    honestly:

1.your pixel fonts arent snapped.
    2.your scroll bar is all jacked up. for real... you need to reprogram that thing -- remember to use updateAfterEvent() like below:

believe it or not they are snapped starting from the root on down... and i can't seem to figure it out.. i am thinking that maybe it might mave something to do with the movement and where it stops on the stage... just a guess..and exactly what do you see wrong with the scrol bar i mean i know what i see wrong with it i just want to see if we are seeing the same things....if you could send me some music loops that would be a big help and because i am only using vector i do have a lot of gradients but that reason for the slower performance is due to the vector graphic i added on the bottom.. vector is always more heavy ..i just added it yesterday so i dunno if imma keep it... any ideas on what would make the box stand out more? i also speeded up how fast the boxes come out.. its a.s. so its not the frame rate...i will slow it down to where i had it from the start... go back and tell me if that helped at all.. oh and i brung down the bg loop and put up the roll over sounds.. tell me if that helps at all..

and yea tracy they are suppose to come out when the mouse is to the left side of the screen... this is almost exactly what the client wanted.. they wanted the boxes to come out of the big box displaying the service they offer hence (marketing in a box) thats the name of there company... i wanted to try to do it with some sort of frame animation but it just would not work so i had to go with A.S. .... also i will make the main box alpha a lil and tell me if that helps with seeing how many buttons there are... also the side panel of the box lights up on mouse over because that is where i will put the company logo...

well prague my style is vector this is what i work best with i am pretty sure swift would give me a better 3 d effect but for me trying to get that 3 d effect using vector is more of a challenge don't ask why but i just like to vector everything what do you think? Should i not make it vector?

well i really thank yall for the comments and advice... i have only been workinig on this site for three days now and all the comments are really helping me...

i love yall

yo main man lenny

well for three days your doign good. You have your layout down and navigation. Now you can tweak the appearance of the site. I would say work with vectors if thats what you like, but perhaps clean it up. That logo on the side of the box has to go. You could do better boxes too. Are you using just flash? If so go into photoshop and create some boxes. That will give it some good appeal. As for the scroll bar, you could clean that up too. the graphics are a little too bulky and they dont fit the color scheme. As for font, for the scroller dont use pixel font.

good advice

believe me if i new how to do it in photoshop we prob would not be having this convo ... so yea i am doing it all in flash... what advice could you give me on doing vector in flash cause i have not really read anything on it... i changed the scroller altogether take a look and tell me what you think... you peeped the fff extra font i used for the up and down arrow??? is that what you are talking about... does it throw the scroller off? or are you saying to just use a system font like _sans for the text insted of a pixel font... what do you think would look better? oh yea the logo on the side is just for testing i will work on the real logo once i get the fonts and the graphics from the client... imma change the color of the scroller a bit to fit more into the layout.. thanks for all the advice...

i love yall

yo main man lenny

thats a good scroller. You fixed it up so its not bulky, and it fits the site. I like that you make the large box transparent. It looks alot better. Inside the scroller use something like Arial size 10. Dont use a font with a _ before it and you should never use a pixel font if its larger than 8 pixels (personal belief) because it looks like block text. As for the vector boxes. Hmm ust play around with them.

one comment otherwise i like it. when the textboxes load, an ugly green color is seen quick. it does not go with any other color on the site and is ugly.. i would skip the green and go from the gray to the transparent..

good work

good looking out

Originally posted by freedejm
    one comment otherwise i like it. when the textboxes load, an ugly green color is seen quick. it does not go with any other color on the site and is ugly.. i would skip the green and go from the gray to the transparent..

good work
    yo thanks for the tip... oops... its a bright fade effect that i took from one of my other sites and i forgot to take out the greenish purple tint... go peep at it again and see if i got rid of it...

i love yall

yo main man lenny

nice job fixing up that scrollbar. it is much better now.

still want some feed back

i am still workin on the site and still want some feed back

i love yall

yo main man lenny

hey FTB, i checked ur site and the fonts are blurry again? is everything (fonts, MC's, etc) on whole intergers?? what is ur FPS at b/c the movements are really choppy. are the boxes suppose to be the same size or random sizes??

Tracy

Originally posted by Tracy981
    hey FTB, i checked ur site and the fonts are blurry again? is everything (fonts, MC's, etc) on whole intergers?? what is ur FPS at b/c the movements are really choppy. are the boxes suppose to be the same size or random sizes??

Tracy
    Yea Tracy you are right some of the fonts are a bit blurry and they are on whole inter. imma have to really figure it out..could you tell me what fonts are blurry to you so that I can see if we are seeing the same thing... and the boxes in the "my flash work" section are different sizes and imma fix that today.. but the main menu boxes are the same size because they are all the same MC..do they look like different sizes? and i slowed down the speed because you told me it was too jerky and also i think because i made the main boxes a lil bigger too.. they have a lot of gradiant so it does take away from performance.. so you think i should speed it up again.. i mean if we talking about the same things that have choppy move ment.. its more of an AS fix and not a frame rate because there in no frame animation in the site so i don't think an increase in frame rate will help.. What exaclty is moving choppy so i can see if we are seeing the same thing...I really want to thank you Tracy for looking over the site for me and telling me what you see..

i love yall

yo main man lenny

no problem hun, im glad that i can be of help!! ok fonts -

-portfolio section, when i scroll over your images, the "click to Enter" & the description on the right are blurry. it may be the fact that its moving b/c i had that problem. this is what FK member (Ctranter) wrote to me "the floating text in portfolio needs to have maths.round or .int applyed to it to make sure it only appears at 1px intervals - stop s blurring." what that means i have no idea but you might!!
    -the fonts on the side of the boxes, some of them are blurry.

-the main boxes are fine, its just the smaller ones that are inconsistent.
    -to me it still is choppy, everything is. im just learning AS, what is your FPS at? try putting it at 30 or 50. ( i use 50 and all of my animations are smooth) so im not sure if that will help or not but worth a try.

now on a design level, it looks good so far but i would fix a few things (very minor).

-the top edge of the main box is being flushed up against the edge of the window,move it down a bit so there isn't a jagged edge b/c thats what i see.
    -try making the shadow on the main box alittle bit more noticeable. to me the box looks like it is floating there. you have a very 3dimensional feel to your site, give it more "depth".
    -you may want to let the user know which category they are in. obviously i know wut you doing and the type of site this is but it is helpful to have some indincation of where you are.
    -the white text on the light grey bg is hard to read

these are just my opinions and what i see, so be gentle =)

Tracy
    Last edited by Tracy981; 08-20-2004 at 09:40 AM.

thanks tracy

Well tracy i just did away with the "my flash work" text box all together and went about another way.. tell me what you think... i dunno if you saw the update but tell me if its still moving choppy... and thanks about the corner on the box issue.. every time i see it i say imma do something about it but i always forget... i be thinking that folks wont notice those lil things but i guess i was wrong.. you know actually i did not even add a drop shadow to the box .. its the graphic behind it that i guess looks like a shadow.. what i was trying to do was give the impression that the box was so high up that you would not even see a shadow... is that hard to imagine? yea i have not put the titles for the section at the top of the lil window yet but thanks for reminding me cause i am quick to start something else and forget...also i tried to get rid of the white text on grey as much as i could... tell me if you still see it... and also if you see still some blurred text.. they are like roches hard to get rid of... anyway check it out and tell me what you think... oh yea.. how is the forum working for you? and how did it load up?

when it comes to my professional work i don't mind a good lashing.. so you cool tracy i aint hatin on yo comments..

i love yall

yo main man lenny