A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Koolmoves for mac?

Hello, i've went and looked at koolmoves, and it looks prety nice, but i didnt see a mac version, is there a similar application for mac?

Thanks

Elk

I know that they were thinking about it, maybe Richard will give us some news...

Brad

sigh, the same old story...

hmm,

same thing for all these 3rd party software for Flash, Mac version is always "in development" stage but most of them never will happen. Swift 3D definitely deserves credit for their Mac support, and hopefully the rest of the Flash community can see all users as one, not divided into PC only and Mac users get the "buy a virtualPC or softwindows then you can run our software" crap, like what I read on the Swish site.

Believe me, I can sympathize with the need for a Mac version of KoolMoves. There are so many great animators and graphics people on Macs, who I very much miss having as customers. I have been a fan of the Mac scince before it was born, when I first saw it gestating in the womb of Xerox PARC in 1977. And I now have both a Mac and a Windows machine side by side. But, the bridges from windows code to Mac code have collapsed and no software development package has stepped in to fill the gap. This means that a Mac port requires that the majority of the code be rewritten from scratch and then seperatly maintained. Such an approach would suck up so much RD time that it would totally arrest KoolMoves further development. This gave us reason for pause. But, all hope is not lost, at least one work-around looks feasable. Namily, flash movies run directly on Mac, so why not a flash version of KoolMoves that uses a small amount of native Mac code. I hope we can pull this off, but we are still checking into the implementation details. Wish us luck.

Smile thanks!

hi,

please accept my apology, I didn't mean to express the angry tone of my post. I totally agreed with you and support what you guys are doing, so thanks for letting me know that there are people within th Flash community would give Mac development a chance. And yes, there are just as many Mac Flash designers out there compare to PC designers, so if you are developing for a software that's available for both platform, Im sure there will be buyers from the Mac side. Keep it up and I wish you guys the best of luck!

Super Moderator

Re: thanks!

While on my vacation, I saw a demo of Mac beta version 10 and was blown away. It is a thing of beauty compared to Windows. It's foundation is rock solid Unix. As Richard said, porting from PC to Mac is a major development expense. Our partner, Animation Online, did a port of software from the Mac to PC so we know how to do it but don't know if there is a less painful way to do it. I am continuing to explore this. I understand people's frustration but there is no easy solution.

thanks!

hello,

thanks to all of you for continuing to inform us on the Mac version development, I really appreciated, good luck and hopefully the Mac users will have some new toys to play around later!

funkybudda