A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML menu problem... end of my rope here!

XML menu problem... end of my rope here!

I'm at the end of my rope with this! I found a XML player on FlashKit that I really enjoy and wanted to adapt to my website needs. One of the features it has is a menu that can be updated by an XML file. My problem is that I'd like the menu to be inside a pop-up box, meaning that it doesn't show unless the user selects the pop-up box. I've struggled through the player's actionscript to try to find an easy way to adapt it's code to the pop-up box, but I've had no success...

The player has a playlist mc with a target mc inside. Then there is another mc, playlistItem, a dynamic text box for the songs. I've tried moving the playlist mc/target mc to the pop-up box, but then nothing works. I've tried just copying the target mc to the power mc in my pop-up box and that doesn't work. I've tried renaming playlist in the mc code to "power" to call up the power mc, thinking that this would be the answer.. No luck. I've been struggling with this player for over a week now with no progress!

Please, can you help me? I'll post the .fla, if this will make more sense.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I do not understand your script but where is mc referred to in the main script? It is complete ly isolated, no reference. You can't expect anything happening there. I may be wrong if there is another hidden script somewhere. Why don't people get used to having the scripts in the main timeline rather than hidden everywhere in buttons and clips
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Hi cancerinform,

Thank you so much for reading/answering my post! I'm having a hard time getting anyone to respond, probably because of what you've found!

If you click on the player mc, you'll see the actionscript for the player on one of the action buttons. (It's at the top somewhere). In this frame, you'll find the code for the player, buttons, and for the playlist menu (which is my problem).

If you click on the target mc, which is a mc that, I'm assuming, covers the area behind the mask at the bottom of the player mc timeline.

The target mc is referred to in the player mc code and, I think, also in the XML preloader, but I'm not sure.

I don't know if this gives you more info to help me, but it's defintely something I'd like to understand!

Does anyone else know of a solution??
    Last edited by sirenetta1; 08-23-2004 at 09:26 PM.

Ok, here is another one I don't understand. If you know tell me. You call an instance of power "mc". The in some button you make this statement "if(mc.power==0){"
    What kind of syntax is that? I never heard, since power is just a regular movieclip from the library and the instance on stage is called "mc"
    Then the buttons in mc have no scripts, is that ok? I still don't understand what you want to get working, some text in the mc buttons?

Hi again! The mc.power=0 controls the rate of the box moving up and down. This isn't my problem. Oh, and the buttons do have code on them, just click on the frame! :-)

My problem is that I want to have the playerlist put inside the power mc and have it working. Try to figure that one out. I have no idea!

My goal is to have the playlist inside the pop-up box, so that it does not show on the main stage, but that users can select the list when they want.

You mean this?

Hey, exactly what I'm talking about! Only one problem, though... The songs don't play when you select them in the pop-up menu... how can that be fixed? Could you explain what you did to get it to work? Thanks so much for your help!! :-)
    Last edited by sirenetta1; 08-24-2004 at 06:51 PM.

All i did was to place the playlist mc in the popup menu and change the path in the main script. But I think the buttons work, since the text is changing. The music files have all the same sound. I was wondering why.

Hi again... Somehow the buttons don't work when you click on them in the menu. I'm thinking that this has something to do with the playlistitem not being in there? I've tried putting the playlistitem mc in the power mc and you can stop whatever is playing, but that's it.. What do you advise?

Maybe it's hard to tell what the player is doing because when the box pops up, it covers up the song title text box. I've moved some things around!

The original.fla is the .fla with the playlist working outside the menu.

Playerhelp.fla is the .fla with the playlist not working inside the menu.

I'm trying to get the playlist to work inside the menu so that when you click on one of the playlist items, it will play that song!
    Last edited by sirenetta1; 09-04-2004 at 09:45 PM.

No hope?

I still haven't found an answer to my question and thought I'd repost it again.
    Last edited by sirenetta1; 09-04-2004 at 09:39 PM.

Problem resolved!! I did not have enough _parents in the playlist mc. Now it works perfectly. I'll attach the fixed files for those interested!