A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Also need a little animation help

Also need a little animation help

Hi all,

This is basically the same thing as dniezby who asked for help with an animation for nightshade films.

I'm the head of A/V in my youth group and a brand new season is starting up. I need an animation for two things. (Can be the same animation for both.)

I need one for the beginning of movies that we show of recent retreats or events. A quick animation that says Son Life Pictures presents with a lighthouse somewhere in view.

I also need one for the screen when our youth group meets. Instead of using black when there's nothing to show on the screen, I'd like to show an animation. It could just be the last frame of the animation used in the movies (minus the "Pictures presents" part) and I would add in a looping background.

I would make one myself, but, school has started back up for me and I'm not very creative anyway.

If you would be interested in helping me at all, I would appreciate it SO MUCH. Our youth group's name is Son Life and we have a lighthouse as our logo. You can put a copyright in the bottom corner of the screen with your name if you want. Your name would also be in the credits of our movies.

Thanks again!
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.

well i think i can help you when ever it comes to animations...but im not sure i fully understand what you ask for
    if you can just explain yourself more simply i might be able to help
    ok....what ?

http://bretlanius.com/video/index.ph..._life_logo.wmv

Background Image is from Microsoft Clip art the rest done in Editor by me

Bret:
    I love the background and the sun setting. Parts of some words are a little hard to see though because they it's sort of a yellow on yellow. I really liked it though. (BTW, my editing program doesn't except .wmv so it would have to be in .mpg) Bret, I just came up with an idea that i thought would be cool, but I like yours a lot too. You can do whatever, but my idea is below.

Cyber Reaper:
    Thanks for your offer. I actually just came up with an idea that I thought would be neat. It would be cool to have a lighthouse with it's light like spinning around. When it goes over the screen though (when the light is facing the viewer) the words appear in the lightbeam. Like how castlerock films does their logo.
    Last edited by neederofhelp; 08-25-2004 at 08:35 PM.
    Dan

The background is clip art. The up side of that is that you can use it for support materials as well to maintain a "LOOK".

I didn't expect you to use the wmv it was just the best way to share it with you online, I'm sure you don't really want an MPG either as MPG is not an editing format.

If I had a 3d model of a light house to use I could do something like what you describe, but my 3d skills are a bit lacking. I did make one lighthouse but it didn't look too good.

Maybe Jason would be interested in doing the 3d of the light house.

Light House an8 file 3ds and a jpeg render.....

Here's a quick basic light house sketch, it's not real proffesional, but fairly low-poly.....

I've got it textured pretty good in anim8or, but when you import it into 3dfa it generally loses alot of the original texture, so it will probably need alot of tweaking there. You could however do the animation in anim8or in the scene mode(or any other tool, that will work with 3ds files).............

Let me know what you think and any changes that will be needed.

-J

Now we're getting somewhere!

Try this one out
    http://bretlanius.com/video/index.ph..._life_logo.wmv

New one

Here's another one
    Son Life 2

This one uses the lighthouse that Jason made and a sea image I made in Terrigen. Flare from Editstudio Pro, Text effect from the WAX plugin
    Last edited by blanius; 08-26-2004 at 12:02 PM.

Originally posted by blanius
    I didn't expect you to use the wmv it was just the best way to share it with you online, I'm sure you don't really want an MPG either as MPG is not an editing format.
    I figured that's why you were using wmv. Actually, I don't really need to edit it. I just need a movie version of the file. I find that when using Pinnacle Studio, it likes MPEG the best. So I would need the final version as an MPEG.

Here's another one
    Son Life 2

This one uses the lighthouse that Jason made and a sea image I made in Terrigen. Flare from Editstudio Pro, Text effect from the WAX plugin
    OOOOOHHH. I like that! We are DEFINATLY on the right track!

Two things though,
    1) Could you make it a bit shorter?
    2) Could you center PRESENTS with Son Life Pictures?

Also, if these arn't like any effort at all, it would be cool if:
    1) The letters only showed after the light passed over them. (Sort of like a mask effect) But then the letters stay on the screen after the light passes over.

2) After the background fades, the text stays on screen for a second or so longer.

I really like that! There is NO way I would have been able to come up with that without your help! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Dan

I'll see what I can do.

There is no way MPG is the best bet for Pinnacle Studio, it's just not a editing codec, and highly compressed as well. How about Huffy Avi or DV Avi

Seems the only way to hide the text is to not have a background image.

This one has no background and the text is hidden. Personally I like it better with the background
    http://bretlanius.com/video/index.ph...life_logo2.wmv

Oh never mind I got it working after all.

Getting complex on the timeline...

Odd that this is the second one of these done here but not using 3dfa don't tell!

.........just an idea here, but what if you only used a partial background, or even 2 partial backgrounds, or one a foreground maybe with water(foreground, transparent at top) and clouds(partial background up high, transparent at the bottom). You'd have to move the text a little higher up but it might work.............

-J

I'll see what I can do.

There is no way MPG is the best bet for Pinnacle Studio, it's just not a editing codec, and highly compressed as well. How about Huffy Avi or DV Avi
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Um, DV AVI would be the way to go then.

Oh never mind I got it working after all.

Getting complex on the timeline...

Odd that this is the second one of these done here but not using 3dfa don't tell!
    Got it working where? (Don't worry, I won't tell)

------------------

I liked the one with no background, although, it would be cool with a background. If you can't add a background, then I love this! It's exactly what I wanted!
    Dan

ta da

here it is http://bretlanius.com/video/son_life_logo3.wmv

Contact me via PM for download link to full DV version about 60meg download or I can mail it to you on CD