A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Motherboard

Blue Haired Muppet

Motherboard

I had a question about my motherboard. I sent it in cause is suddenly broke (or so I thought). I sent it back to ASUS and then sent it back "all fixed". I tried it.. still didn't work.

Just to make sure it is in fact the motherboard...

if you have just the motherboard in the case and all the panel plugs are plugged in.. it should make some sort of beeping sound if it works.. right? Cause it is making no sounds what-so-ever?

Thanks guys

'tis the heavenly beep. Do you have another mobo you can swap?

Does it POST? Do you get any beep errors at all?

what does it do, if it doesn't even turn on , IT could be the screws ground out on the case, take the mobo out and try it without a case, if it post then freezes then most likely its the CPU,

Can you get in the bios?

maybe the PSU , test it with a tester, make sure your geting the voltage
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Originally posted by PCRIDE
    maybe the PSU , test it with a tester, make sure your geting the voltage
    I've always been a big critic of those who use cheap PSUs. What brand PSU are you using? How old? How many watts? If you have a P4 board, are you hooking up both connectors to the mobo?

My story

Building a new computer. Hooray. Bought some gear. Among it was a shiny Asus P4C800 Deluxe Motherboard. How happy i was it was all new and spangly and top of the line for its time, and still is rather respectable being a 875p chipset and all.

Installed, working away, gaming away, looking very good. 4 hours or so later, system shuts down. Tottaly down. Hmm... interesting. Turn back on. Stupid idiotic software, thats what i blamed.

The above hard shutdown happened around 3 times. Rubbish. Whats going on here. Full computer rebuild. Push power, all system fans fire for a split second then it just dies. WTF.

Rebuild it again. Push power, all system fans fire for a split second and then dies... *RANDOM STREAM OF ABUSE*

Research time on the net. Massive problems discovered with the Asus P4C800 Deluxe Motherboard. Millions of forums overflowing with issues relating to it. Not happy. Find a forum describing a problem exactly what i was having.

That problem being that due to the cpu retaining bracket clamping down on solder that under constant power heats up and ever so slowly starts to squish and bleed into surrounding areas. It was shorting out the motherboard. I checked my motherboard and it had that exact problem.

Returned 3 times for repairs. Never fixed.

My solution

approx AU$350 motherboard
    $5 worth of petrol
    lead pipe
    open paddock
    matches

Place motherboard on ground. Pour petrol over motherboard. light match and throw on said motherboard. While still flaming, beat motherboard with lead pipe, until stress resolves.

As you can guess, i wrote off the asus motherboard. returned 3 times and not fixed? not happy.

What did i do instead?

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP.
    Problems encountered: 0

yes, i cant help you, but thats my story. good job asus, you can stick your motherboards where it would hurt most. hope you have better luck m8...

end story
    the sig... its broken...

Blue Haired Muppet

jcsco0,

it seems like I am having the same exact problem as you. I guess there is no solution then huh? Except buying a new motherboard? I will probably just end up just paying $60 for a new one of the same kind I have now, because I would rather not pay to have it shipped back to ASUS again and it not work.

PCRIDE - I have tried turning the motherboard on without it in the case and that does not work. there are no beeps.. the fans spin and the dvd roms and cd roms spin but that is about it. The power supply is fine.. everything used to work.

fospher.com - no, I don't. I just have another board that can only use an older processor, video card, etc..

Ultima Designs - no, it does not post

Thanks for your help guys.. looks like I might just buy a new one though I just wanted to make darn sure that it was the motherboard and not the CPU or graphics card.

... and I thought ASUS was a good company...

corrupt bios? You could try removing the cmos battery for 10 mins and replacing it. The odds are againt you on this working out
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

Originally posted by Xerxes
    ... and I thought ASUS was a good company...
    I wouldn't say that Asus isn't a good company. You always get some bad mixed in with the good. You should have a warranty on the mobo - see if you can get a replacement. If you're really demanding to their support, they might cave in and just swap mobos. However, you said you paid $60 for your mobo - in my humble opinion anyway, that price is pretty low and is taking something of a gamble. That's just my opinion, though.