A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] Sounds don't play in Frontpage

Sounds don't play in Frontpage

I have searched thru Koolmoves support and don't find anything about sounds that are in the swf file that when imported in Frontpage do not carry the sounds along. They play fine in "play in browser" but not when swf file is sent to Frontpage. The only way I can get sounds on the page is to go to "Page Properties" and add one sound to the page, but what if you have more than one sound in the swf?
    Zig

Seems like a FrontPage problem then it does with KoolMoves. Once the sound is added to any project file then exported to swf, it's there. If FrontPage has a forum, you might want to go there. Unless some one here knows about FrontPage. I've never used it myself.

What version of FrontPage are you using. Also when you select preview in browser from FP does that fix it?

Also I/m not a huge fan of FrontPage not at all... In fact for people new to web design I usually direct them to http://www.nvu.com/

Sounds

I am using Frontpage 2002. Using the "prevue from browser" in FP does not bring up the sounds. I'll take a look at Nvu. Thanks.
    Zig

How have you done your sounds in the SWF? If ther are seperate SWfs then are they in the same directory as your main SWF or are is the path correct in your loadmovie scripts and actions?

Degenerate and baise art thou. docree's Avatar
    If you are using streamed mp3s...
    Your mp3s have to be in the same directory as the swf.
    Then again, I do not use FrontPage.
    I suggest people take up simple html before using
    KoolMoves as a web site design program.
    It's more simple than what the WYSIWYG software
    designers want you to believe.
    Try Web-O-Rama...
    DocRee

Front Page has some advantages over designing a site by hand or WYSIWYG editors. They are Front Page Extensions- Very Easy to make web forms and FP Database support.

Then again you must use MS IIS to take advantage of these features and most of the Web is using Apache to serve web pages.

Disadvatages of FP besides needing MS IIS server to use all the features included, MS FP alters your HTML(The new versions not as bad as the old), it produces bloated HTML, By defualt it sets tables in absolute size (instead of in percents which changes the way the page looks if a user is using a different size monitor or resolution), It chokes on properly formed CSS, and finaly it is possible to write a page which is IE only and does not degrade well.

Sounds

I believe my problem is in Koolmoves. After inserting the sounds in the "Actions and Sounds" window , I save the fun and swf files, copy the swf file html and paste it on the html page. When I "Play in browser" there are no sounds. If I go back to Koolmoves and open that swf I get a message that the sound files are missing. Where do they go? I not only have gone thru this process in Frontpage but Nvu with the same result.
    Zig

As said before, keep your sounds next to your swf file. Why not just import the sound into your swf so you don't have this problem.

If KoolMoves is looking for the sound files then you have moved, or deleted, them from the directory that you created the file with. KoolMoves allows you to reassocite the files. It also does this with Image Files. .Fun files are simular in many respects to XML files and store no Image or Sound Data, don't believe me then open one in notepad. This is why they are editable on the fly with the graphic or sound program of your choice.

My Advice; When you begin a new project keep a copy of all the sounds and images in a project directory on your computer.

Sounds

Thank you all for your help. I have followed many of your suggestions and with the final one given by Flashpulse, I now have sounds on my Frontpage developed webpage. In fact I have uploaded it online and it is working.
    Zig

Glad to hear.